Higher protein = more weight loss?

Marcy B.
on 9/22/04 9:51 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Just curious how many of you are finding a corrolation between increasing your protein to say 80-100 grams and seeing and increase in weight loss. Being reading some posts lately that suggest it. Sounds like it would be worth a shot. My doc wants my calories up to 1250 with protein grams at 80 -100 - I am nowhere near- he says I will lose faster that way. I wonder how others are doing.
curlysue 9.
on 9/22/04 10:35 am - Demopolis, AL
You won't believe this, but I just posted on the Bama Boards something similar to your post! I am usually lucky if I get in 30 grams of protein in a day. Then, my weight loss slowed down and I didn't lose much for about 2 weeks. I totally upped my protein and then started losing again. I really think it works. I make sure I drink a protein shake everyday. Also for snacks I eat the Post Low-carb cereal bars (10 grams protein each). I make sure I eat meat and cheese. Usually by the end of the day I have a total of about 60-70 grams of protein. That's really good compared to 30 grams! Carol -45
IrishIze
on 9/22/04 11:47 am - NJ
I found when I got between 500 - 600 calories and over 55g of protein a day I started to lose after a long plateau. I had only been getting 300-400 calories and 30g protein when my weight loss stalled. I really think that in order to lose, you have to eat. Hugs, Nancy -46
Cathy C.
on 9/22/04 1:06 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Marcy, Yep, it worked for me. I've been pretty constant at 60-80 gms / day of protein and between 600-800 kcals / day. I hit a plateau after losing 43 pounds. After 2 weeks I upped my protein to 120 gms / day and it bumped me off that plateau. I am now down 50 pounds. I'm not so sure the calories are as important as the amount of protein. It is the trigger that tells the brain that you're no longer in the starvation mode. I prefer to use the Zero Carb Isopure Protein drink in glass bottles because it's so "painless" a way to get in another 40 grams of protein for only 160 calories, and no carbs. I'll be interested in others responses. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 -50 pounds
curlysue 9.
on 9/23/04 9:25 am - Demopolis, AL
Okay, where did you get the Isopure in glass bottles? I've never tried Isopure, but have been told it was good.
Tanja Y
on 9/23/04 11:14 am - Wahiawa, HI
I bought the Isopure in glass bottles from GNC. ~Tanja
Cathy C.
on 9/23/04 1:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi, Here is the site: http://www.nojonetwork.com/twocasofzerc.html I suggest the variety pack which has two of each of 6 flavors. You'll see them listed on the site. Feel free to ask me anything else. I just found out they're loaded with the building blocks of antioxidants. I thought they were great before that now I really am sold on them and may continue them to some extent even after I return to "people food". Cathy RNY 7/26/04 -49 lbs
C J.
on 9/22/04 5:32 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
IF I eat I lose, if I don't I don't! I can only eat 1-2 ozs of concentrated protein at a time. I've figured out I have to do a shake in the am to get the protein and fluid count up. I know on a good day I get 50 grams of proetien and 48 ozs fluid and 500 calories. It's going to take a while! CJ
lodigirl63
on 9/23/04 5:16 pm - lodi, CA
hi my name is regina ortiz i am from lodi,ca i have not got enough protein in yet and i am 2 months out and have lost 63 lbs so far ! at my docotor's office his pa tells me if i eat a protein shake or bar i could die or end up in the hospital i am so afraid of eating anything any more i feel dizzy,tryed,i don't go no where alone am afraid of falling down am so weak! i feel good about my wt.lost but not the dizzyness,or weakness ,what kind of shakes or bars do you buy so i can do the same please need help soon getting to sick ? and don't want to go back to the hospital .....esp ....please or e-mail me thank you ,i just need some support !
Heather M.
on 9/24/04 3:15 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
woah you were told not to eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake because you could die??? Is there some other health problem that you are not telling that would cause you not to be able to supplement? I would not be able to get near the amount of protein I need if I did not supplement. My nutritionist told me to supplement and as time goes by I will be able to eat more and I should start taking away the supplements and work towards taking in 75-100g of protein through food. How much protein to you get a day? Do you go to support group meetings? If not call around to your local hospitals and find out if one of them has a support group. You can also go to the main board and post to see if someone there knows of a support group in your area. I supplement with unjury powder (www.unjury.com) and detour bars. Something doesn't sound right and I feel you need to get some help fast. You should be scared to leave your house because of feeling dizzy or weak. Please do something. If you feel your Dr. isn't taking care of you the way you need to be see if there is another one you can go to. I'm just very concerned for your health. Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views