I NEED TO SEE THE SCALE MOVE!

Marcy B.
on 9/21/04 2:57 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Okay, I admit it.... I have been a slave to the scale for my entire life. And now that I have had this surgery, I feel entitled to see a weight loss each and every time I get on the scale. I don't have a scale in the house otherwise I would have thrown it out the window by now. I started my highest weight 6 months ago at 370- and presurgically 2 months ago I was 354. As of my last weigh in I was 327 which was exactly what I was two weeks before that. The scale just does not want to move. I know plataeaus happen, and obviously that is what is happening to me since from the starting point of my weight loss efforts to now I have actually lost closer to 50lbs. But I want bragging rights too..you know what I mean? I had this freaking surgery- scared myself half to death to do it ( and I don't regret it) and I want the bragging rights to be able to beat my chest and say I have lost 45 or 50 lbs since having the surgery. But that is not to be. And I know I need to get over it. Oddly enough since the surgery I have lost a surprising 30 inches off of my body- 7 inches in my hips alone. so I know it is working, but I still won't feel like I've been really successful until I see that darned scale move. ITs INSANITY!!!! What if there were no more scales and we had to dinf other ways to measure ourselves??? I can do that now. Inches off...looking better feeling better, blood pressure down, cholesterol down. What more could a person want? But I, insane woman that I am will continue to feel good or bad about myself and my progress by what that scale has to say. Today is my 2 month check up and I dread seeing what the scale says as if ..if I am still and this damnable plataeu then I will feel like some horrible kind of failure. Oh the mind games we put ourselves through... I also am having awful fluid retention in my legs and taking dr perscribed water pills to help- but its not doing much- so I really don't think the scale will move today. But I NEED TO SEE THE SCALE MOVE. So wish me luck that I can tame the scale slave within me and deal with what I know will be another monumental disappointment for me if once again the scale does not move. Thanks for reading as I ramble! Marcy
Irene S.
on 9/21/04 3:20 am - NJ
The scale IS moving! In your case, you lost all of the water weight BEFORE surgery, instead of after, like many of us. I didn't diet before surgery. I was 322 going into surgery and at my one week followup I didn't lose anything. Two weeks later, I was down like 30 pounds! Then I didn't lose a thing for more than 2 weeks! Since then, I've lost 15 lbs. making my total as of yesterday, 45 lbs. I don't think you have any realistic reason to be dissappointed! Hang in there! Slow and steady can win the race, too! irene
Cathy I.
on 9/21/04 4:00 am - Shelby Township, MI
Marcy, Move over girl....I am in the same boat! Surgery was 7/19 and as of this morning I have only lost 38#. Most of those 38 were lost in the first month. Since I never really felt "bad" before surgery, I can not say that I feel any better. I know I look a little better and I am exercising - something that I was not doing prior to surgery, but I too want the scale to show me the numbers! Cathy I
MinnieMia
on 9/21/04 4:26 am - SC
Girl, do I know where you are or what?! I could have written this post! I lost like a champ the first week--17 pounds--then 3 more to my first follow up appt to make it an even 20. Then nothing. Nada. Squat. For three flippin' weeks! Then I started losing again and I've lost 13 more in the last month. But still, I had my guts rearranged, I power walk every day, I go to curves 4x a week...I wanna see some results other than 33.6 pounds since surgery (44.6 since pre-op). I'm not happy...not sorry I had surgery...but still, not happy. I am down 3 dress sizes and that's great but it's been 10 weeks! I should be losing more than this. Grrr. I'm looking forward to measuring my body fat percentage at Curves on the 10th...if my scale is anywhere close to right I'm down around 5% so that's GOOD. I didn't measure for the last 2 saturdays so I'm going to do that this weekend...hopefully I can see some movement there. My problem is that 199 is SOOOOO close (17.4# away) that I am frustrated that I can't get there! Aah, sweet Onederland, I will set foot in you someday! Guess we should all just keep doing the next right thing, huh? Hang in there girlie...it's going to come off, we just have to be patient! MM 262/251/217.4/130 P.S. If anyone dares tell me I took the "easy" way out I swear I'll commit something heinous! We work our butts off! Literally!
C J.
on 9/21/04 6:43 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Wow Marcy...I don't understand ....just kidding! I feel the same way! I want that scale to drop at least a pound a day or I feel like chucking it out the window! The inches and other bene's are wonderful, esp the smaller sizes but we are so conditioned to measure our success by the number on the scale! Hang in there...it will move...sooner or later....the water will come off so will the fat! CJ
Denise Johnson
on 9/21/04 8:48 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
Hi Marcy, I know where you are coming from! I'm so obsessed with the @#@$% scale,that I have 2 scales!One regular,one digital.And they both say different weights!! Talk about torture!!!! But of course,I just can't keep my butt off of them.But really, inches are JUST as important as weight.Especially if you are working out.Because you are gaining muscle, so you may drop sizes without seeing a big drop on the scale. I guess for me,being severely hypothyroid,ANY loss I have should be monumental, since I couldn't lose squat before my surgery,but of course nothing is ever enough.I guess the only thing I can say is feel good about the weight you have lost,because you can sit back and realize that it is gone for good!! I wish you luck on your journey!! Denise Johnson 270/221(Dr's scale)/150 (or less)
Marcy B.
on 9/21/04 10:38 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Well..I feel a little better it moved about 5lbs. I've lost almost 50lbs from my highest fighting weight, and 36 of that since the surgery. At 18lb average per month my doctor tells me I will be invisible after 2 years! Hey...you have to have a sense of humor I guess. I really have done well with this surgery- none of the nasty side effects only occassional vomiting ( when I eat too fast) and no dumping. I tolerate most foods, and am in relatively good health after the fact. So....I guess I have to quit my *****ing for a while. Of course I do feel better that the scale moved somewhat...even if it wasn't by leaps and bounds. Oh well...I guess I do everything slowly ( except gaining weight that is! ) Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I know this is something I am going to have battle within me throughout this entire process. Have patience with me! Marcy
dana W.
on 9/21/04 8:41 pm - fort worth, tx
I KNOW WHAT U MEAN,,,THE HEAD GAMES,,,U'LL HAVE GOOD LLUCK TODAY,,U SEE A DIFF,, FRM WHAT I CAN TELL U R NOT EATING ANYTHING U SHLDN'T AND EVERYONE'S BODY IS DIFF,, DONT GIVE UP.. WE WENT THUR 2 MUCH TO GET THE SURGERY DONE.. ITS WORTH IT,, WE JUST WANT FASTER...TAKE YOUR TIME BREATH DEEP.. RELAX,,, WE CAN DO THIS,, OH YEAH THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO EATING LIKE A PIG? I NEEDED THAT TALK,, AND I HOPE THIS HELPS U.. LOVE FRM THE BOARD DANA
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views