Dumping on Splenda?

Shrinking-Violet
on 9/20/04 11:19 am - Maricopa, AZ
Yesterday while I was at Target, I got a craving for something sweet- which is a craving I haven't had since surgery. I decided to get a small single serving packet of Russell Stover Sugar-free Low-carb pecan delights (turtles). I didn't want to buy a whole bag of sugar-free candies and then be tempted to go overboard! There are only two teeny tiny little turtles in the package I bought. I slowly & carefully ate one and give the other one to my fiance. By the time we were close to home I was sicker than a dog. I begged my fiance to get me home STAT! As soon as I got out of the car I puked in the bushes outside our apartment. I couldn't even make it inside. I felt so dizzy & nauseous. I then proceeded to go inside and throw up 3 more times. It seemed like a lot came out for such a small piece that I ate! I went and laid down because I felt so woozy. About a 1/2 an hour after that I got the runs BIG TIME! (Sorry to be graphic). I was really surprised because I have never "dumped" before. And I really didn't think that Splenda could make me dump either. Anyone else get sick on it? Angela 07/28/04 229/199.4/140
Mattie
on 9/20/04 11:26 am - West Allis, WI
I don't have a problem with Splenda, but some of the people in my support group have mentioned that they have a problem (much like you described) with it. Good luck! Margaret
Lalocaweta
on 9/20/04 12:38 pm - Spicewood, TX
Check the sugar alchols on the package. I have pondered buying a lot of the Sugar Free candies...but then the sugar alcohol scares me off. I have eaten the Nestle's sugar free chocolate bars (with and without almonds) and have not had any problem on them - But if I remember they don't have a high sugar alcohol content either. A
C J.
on 9/20/04 1:42 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Angela..sorry to hear you had such a rough time. It might have been the Splenda or the nuts or....See how you feel the next time you have something with Splenda in it. I had those once...got the runs...yuck....but I don't have that problem with other Splenda productss so....who knows.. CJ
jcordell
on 9/20/04 2:48 pm - TX
Wow Angela, that sux! For me, so far so good on Splenda. I sometimes have carb control yogurt that is sweetened with Splenda, and no problems. I was reviewing those very turtles the other day at the market, and now I'm sooooooooo glad I decided not to try them! Good luck! I hope you never dump again. -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/272/188
alli E.
on 9/20/04 5:24 pm - CA
It may not have been the SPLENDA-- rather the "sugar alcohols" -- people get sick on that--- I personally have not experienced this-- but i am soo sorry you had to go through that!
IrishIze
on 9/20/04 11:42 pm - NJ
Angela, it could be the sugar alcohol that got you. I always check carefully for sugar content AND sugar alcohol. I looked on the internet at some of the Russell Stover SF candy bars and the sugar alcohol was 15 - 18g. I think this is kind of high. Some WLS people might be able to tolerate in and others not - I guess we all have to figure out what we can eat and what makes us sick. Personally, I'm too afraid to try candies or anything like that yet. I'm sure the day will come though!1 Sorry you had such a bad experience.... Hugs, Nancy -46
Ann M.
on 9/21/04 1:02 am - Norwich, CT
I think it's the sugar alcohol content. I used to eat those things prior to surgery...and if I ate more than one I'd get wicked cramps and then the "runs." I had to limit my consumption to one candy. Ann 314/257/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views