Exercise good, hairloss bad!

jcordell
on 9/19/04 4:41 pm - TX
Hello July Babies! OK, so I went for my normal walk tonight and got inspired to actually do some JOGGING! My 3-mile walk normally takes me exactly one hour, and tonight I did it in 50 minutes! Yee Hah! And, with absolutely NO pain! I was so stoked! That's the good news... The bad news is, my hair is starting to fall out. So now, I have two options. I can either shave my head bald, and look like daddy warbucks, or, go to the wig store... Anyway, how is everyone else doing with exercise and hair loss??? Is 10 weeks out to soon to start going bald??? Or am I just ? Take care, everyone! As always, keep smiling and keep the faith! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/272/188 44% to goal
Debra O.
on 9/19/04 11:27 pm - Chino, CA
Exercise is tough for me. I work 12-14 hours a day doing home daycare in my home. And most evenings are packed with errands I have to do, or places I have to go. I usually walk maybe 3 times a week if Im lucky. As for the hair loss. I was already thinning prior to surgery because of thyroid issues. I had some bald spots up on top. The hair is falling out more than normal for me right now, so I cut my hair really short. My beautician told me Saturday that she sees regrowth on the top of my head though. I have been using a shampoo called TeaTree by Paul Mitchell. Its supposed to cause regrouth of hair for people losng their hair. You should try it. You can buy it at any beuty suppy store. ~Debra
IrishIze
on 9/19/04 11:42 pm - NJ
I'm doing pretty good with exercise from a former couch potato standard. I am walking about 3 or 4 miles a day - broken down into two walks. I find myself really looking forward to it, which is very abnormal for me!! So far, no hair loss. Luckily I have a VERY thick head of hair. I have heard if you take Biotin it helps with hair loss. Congrats on your great stats and your graduation from walking to jogging!! One of my dreams prior to surgery was to be able to run.... Hugs, Nancy -45
Kathy W.
on 9/20/04 2:45 am - Ft Worth, TX
Hey, Jeff. Way to go! Jogging!! I am noticing hairloss already, but not too much yet. I do Curves 3 times a week and ride recumbent exercise bike 4-6 times a week, as well. Altho I have a bad knee, I have found that the necessary walking I do is easier now after WLS.
C J.
on 9/20/04 5:21 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Hey Jeff...WTG on the jogging! What an accomplishment! Especially with no PAIN! I've worked up to an hour on my Gazelle 6 days a week. For some strange reason I lose faster if I take one day off. I like the Gazelle as its non impact. I started Biotin before surgery which I'm hoping will help prevent hairloss...what I have noticed is decreased hair on my legs...very strange! CJ 246/199.5/138
Heather M.
on 9/20/04 7:51 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Jeff - First let me say it's good to see you back on the board. I'm glad you're doing better. As for the hairloss I'm not quite sure what to tell you. I'm actually hoping I'll lose some of mine because I have way to much of it. I could stand for it to thin out. I just wish I could direct the hairloss to my legs and armpits so I don't have to shave anymore. lol That's one of my mini goals that I don't think I'll ever reach at least not with out some help and a lot of mulah for treatments. Oh well can't win 'em all. Debra - I hear ya on trying to find time to work out. I too do home child care. Between the long days of work and then taking care of my family I usually don't sit down until 9pm and I am just way too pooped to do anything else. I'm hoping as the weight slowly comes off I'll get more enery and my feet won't hurt as bad after standing on them all day long. Heather 238/201/135ish
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/04 11:44 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Heather, I'm with you...I've got too much hair, so losing it is a welcome change for me. Jeff, I started losing my hair about a week or so ago. I lose lots of it in the shower, but every time I run my hands through it, I lose several strands. It will all grow back, I'm sure. My exercise goes so-so. I walk three or four times a week for 30 minutes at the gym, and sometimes will swim or lift weights. I am more active in my every day life, although I'm not mountain climbing or anything...mostly shopping. Pamela 352/310/135ish
curlysue 9.
on 9/20/04 10:00 am - Demopolis, AL
Congrats on your jogging! I am not that brave, yet! LOL! However, I have been walking at least 4 days a week one mile each day. I haven't noticed any hair loss yet. I hope I don't lose any. I have been taking Biotin since day one and also have been using this shampoo/conditioner made by Pantene that is for thin or thinning hair. My hair is not thin by any means, but I surely don't want it to fall out. I don't know if the Biotin or the shampoo works. I guess only time will tell! Carol -44
wendycrosby
on 9/20/04 10:43 am - Walterboro, SC
HELLO I had my surgery july 13. Havent had much hair lose but, my sister has. Her doctor told her to get Biotin its for hair and skin. you can get that at walmart. hope you luck. Wendy
Deejay
on 9/20/04 11:49 am - Sparks, NV
Congrats Jeff! I'm doing pretty good exercise wise, 4 days a week at Curves and chasing my 3yr old triplets around all day. hehe I started noticing just today that I have a little more hair loss in the shower then normal. sigh.. Deejay -42
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views