Looking for Vitamins

Phyllis C.
on 9/16/04 10:40 pm - Fort Benning, GA
Hi all, I've been on here a few times now and I want to Thank everyone who has helped me answered my questions because this web site is the reason I'm able to go on... My Question today is Does anyone know of a chewable Vitamin or liquid that I can take besides four Flintstones Vitamins a day. I had my open Gastic bypass on July 22nd I think I'm doing well. I feel good, but My Doctor tells me I can't ever take pills again.Thats ok if i can find another Vitamin. I did find a liquid it is Centrum liquid. Has anyone ever tried it.YUKE...... I will wait to hear back. I pray every one is doing fine. God Bless all, Phyllis
Irene S.
on 9/17/04 12:51 am - NJ
I'm confused as to why your doctor says you can never take pills again. I had surgery on 7/27 and I take chewable vitamins, and Actigall, plus a few other medicines, both capsules and pills. The thing that I was told by my surgeon is that we can't take sustained or time release pills because we don't absorb things the same as before surgery. Most time release work 2 ways. They depend on the acid environment of the stomach to dissolve, or a certain transit time in the intestine. Since both of these are altered by surgery, we can't take them if we want to be sure to get the medicine that we swallow. There are several companies that make chewable bariatric vitamins. Vista vitamins and Bariatric Advantage are two. irene
Deejay
on 9/17/04 1:25 am - Sparks, NV
I use spray vitamins. I use a multi, b-12, and osteo cal one. They are 4 sprays in the morning and 4 in the evening and have a minty flavor. Some people don't like the flavor, but I dont' mind it. THe smell when you first spray them is very vitamin-ish smelling so I plug my nose when I spray and then its gone. I hate pills so these work well for me. They are at vitamist.com if you want to check them out.
JulesC
on 9/17/04 3:37 am - Spring Hill, TN
I use adult Centrum chewables. I got them at Walmart. They are orange flavored. Jules
MarinaS
on 9/17/04 4:24 am - Small Town, WA
I took the Centrum liquid and YUK. Then switched to the chewable. I saw the diatician this week and she said that WLS patients need additional vitamins because we malabdsorb. She said the regular ones are not sufficient for us. I just ordered some from Walgreens online store. I will also list other sites just add the www first. The right vitamins are so important for us. Our lives depend on them so we want to take the ones made for us. Also, I now get my liquid calcium from Fred Meyer, and iron 65 mg Nature Made from Costco. walgreens.com/store/novartis/postbariatric.jhtml bariatricadvantage.com/ bbvitamins.com/ vistavitamins.com/
IrishIze
on 9/17/04 5:26 am - NJ
Hi Marina! I'm so glad to see you here. I hope this means you are feeling better!! I hear you have been through a pretty rough time..... Hugs, Nancy
AngelFlyingHappy
on 9/17/04 6:41 am - Oxnard, CA
I just started taking Building Block Vitamins. They are specially formulated for Bariatric Patients. I like them. You find them at bbvitamins.com
Adrienne C.
on 9/17/04 10:49 am - Mahwah, NJ
Hi Phyllis, In addition to my meds that I continue to swallow - (don't know why you wouldn't be able to if you're able to swallow food), my multi-vitamin is Isotonix. It's a powder that mixes with water and is very fast absorbing in your system. I'm trying the Isotonix Calcium Citrate now and am alternating it with Tropical Oasis Liquid Calcium Citrate. They're both good but the Isotonix is easier to travel with because you mix it yourself and the mixing cup is the lid over the cap and the cap is the serving size. It's very convenient. The Tropical Oasis is supposed to be refrigerated to preserve the taste. Tried Bariatric Advantage Calcium - disgusting - had to return them. B-12 I just finished Bariatric Advantage and won't get them again. Instead got Twinlabs B-12 sublingual dots - twice as many for half the cost. Got them at www.netrition.com. The Isotonix you can get at www.wlscenter.com or call toll free 877-440-1518. Good luck and be well. Adrienne
Patima
on 9/18/04 9:38 am - GA
Hi Phyllis! I also had my surgery with Dr. Appel (yours was 4 days before mine). Yes, you are right, we will not be able to take pills again. The reason is because we also have a silastic ring to reinforce the stoma. A single silastic band (non-saline filled) is placed around the new "pouch" to prevent the pouch from stretching over time. This ring has NO give. I also tried the Centrum liquid and it is absolutely putrid! I used it up in my G-tube (which I still have). I have continued with the Flintstones (or rather I use the Equate brand from WalMart - much cheaper). They don't bother me any, I take it the same time as the Pepcid AC Chewable. I have a couple of meds that don't come in a liquid form, but thanks to a mortar and pestle my hubby bought at a kitchen gadget store, I grind them to a fine powder. I take them like a BC or Goody powder and wa**** down with some Diet V-8 Splash. Kills the taste. Are you a member of the Appel-Steinberg Support Group? Patti
SpyderS
on 9/19/04 5:45 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi Patti, I am at a loss about the kind of surgery you had. Can you explain it a little further? Thank you! Spyder One day at a time 357/305.5 (-51.5 pounds)
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views