Just curious about how many military dependents we have on here.

Heather M.
on 9/14/04 9:26 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
I myself am a spouse of an Air Force man. We are currently stationed at Kirtland AFB in New Mexico. I just noticed on some profiles people who have Tricare Prime. It's also nice to know the areas of the country where this surgery is supported by the military. Here at Kirtland there is absolutly no support or Drs. who have knowledge about WLS. I had to travel to Ft. Bliss in El Paso, Tx to get it done by the military. Now I'm having the worst time trying to get any follow-up care much less good follow-up care. I had a good PCM that was going to do my follow-up care but he got out so I'm stuck with going to walk-in clinics if I have a problem. Ughhhhhh! Heather
bunnymorris
on 9/14/04 1:21 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
We are retired military. I had insurance under my school district but the policy stopped covering this operation and I missed it by 3 days!! So I switched to TriCare Prime and they sent me to Austin since I am in Georgetown. I thought they would send me to Ft. Hood but I guess our address puts us in another district so I went to the dr. in Austin they sent me to. Dr. Falkenberry was wonderful so I'm pleased. I am military from the get go. I grew up at Ft. Bliss (my dad) and then off to Ft. Hood with my husband (not to mention all over the world!) Sorry you have to go to walk in clinics but at least you did get the surgery and are on the losing side! Good Luck, Bunny -43 lbs.
C J.
on 9/14/04 2:03 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Seabee wife here..1 more deployment and hubby retires....Hurrah!! I'm sorry your having such a time getting good follow up...it never hurts to put in a call to the clinic patient advocate and express your concerns about the potential for complications if follow is not provided. I bet you get a positive response. If not let me know...I have a few other ideas.. CJ
threegetts
on 9/14/04 11:00 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
Hi Heather! My hubby is retired AF and I live in the Albuquerque area. You're right about a lack of support, knowledge, etc. here. I went to Phoenix for the surgery and have a good Primary Care doctor in Rio Rancho who is supportive and helpful. Of course, I've had to educate him about what I need but he does what I ask and what my surgeon says too. Can they let you see an off-base doctor for your primary? Cindy 267/219/131
Patima
on 9/16/04 2:27 am - GA
We are retired Air Force and live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Tricare Prime was excellent and I had no problems with approval or referrals. I wish they covered the required psych eval and the nutritionist, but that is a small price to pay! We use total civilian facilities and doctors since we are so far away from any military hospital or base and have still received the best of treatment. Patti
Sandy D.
on 9/20/04 12:17 am - Mascoutah, IL
Good Morning, We're retired Air Force (March 04) out of Scott AFB in Illinois. We live in a town only about five minutes away from the Base, so my surgery and follow up care has been really easy. Most things were accomplished on base, I did have to go off base for the Psych eval, but Tricare covered it so it was good. My PCM was really supportive of me having the surgery and the surgery clinic appears to want to keep doing gastric bypasses. I've been very pleased with all my medical care at Scott.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views