Waiting game begins again......just frustrated!!

Traci72
on 9/10/04 1:58 pm - Hastings, MN
Met w/the head of HCMC's obesity program again today, as they are keeping an eye on my dehydration. I explained to him that I am still waking up nauseous in the morning, and I KNOW it is due to the dehydration. Gave me an RX for Compazine to counteract the nausea, so will see if it helps. I also brought up the fact that I just can't eat. I'm lucky to get a bite....2 if I'm REALLY lucky, and am nauseous immediately after I swallow. I can do OK w/refried beans that have melted cheese mixed in on a fairly consistant basis, but only 1/8 cup. Eggs used to be OK for me, but now I if I eat 2 bites. Dr. H said he'd talk to my surgeon, Dr. L and see if they could come up w/a plan to find out what was going on, as well as to help me be able to tolerate food. Didn't work out while I was there (oh yea, when I got there to check in, I was informed that my appt had been cancelled on me, but NOBODY had bothered to call and tell me! I told them I wasn't leaving until I saw Dr. H, and they got me in w/in 30mins), so after "giving" blood, the nurse said that Dr. H would call me and we would be setting up a time for me to come in and have them do and endoscopy on me to see if that showed anything. I'm NOT good at being patient and waiting, but again, I don't have a choice. I hope that whatever is going on isn't too serious, and doesn't require anything surgical. Guess I'll wait and see..... I just want to be able to EAT w/out feeling sick to my stomach, or literally have to !! Traci -37lbs
bunnymorris
on 9/10/04 3:45 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Bless your heart, Traci! Hang in there. I know I have periods of time that the thought of eating makes me sick to my stomach so I think and think of what I can tolerate. In my case I figured out that when I felt nauseated like that I was actually hungry---after I forced myself to eat a little--I felt better. Unfortunately sounds like you are throwing up instead. Wish I could change it for you! Good luck and keep us posted. Bunny
Dj _.
on 9/10/04 10:47 pm - Eden Prairie, MN
HI Traci, I was at the clinic yesterday too, to see Dr L. I thought I heard your name, but wasn't sure. I'm sorry you're having a tough time with food. I wish I had the answer for you. I had my surgery a week or two before you. I have a hard time eating, but not to your extent. One day chicken will work, the next...not! I'm only able to eat about 1/4 cup at a meal (on good days). I think my calories are something like 200-300 a day. I hope they figure things out for you. They tell me the 3 month mark is the magic time when things start settling in better and we feel more 'normal' when it comes to eating. Hang in there!! Deb
IrishIze
on 9/11/04 12:19 am - NJ
I find it amazing that there is hardly anything about these difficulties on the main board. I researched my surgery pretty thoroughly and read the main board like crazy. I don't recall a lot of posts about people being so sick after surgery. I am still sick too. I hate to eat and I'm lucky if I can drink. By pushing things, I'm getting in about 450 calories a day. I'm getting in about 34 oz of liquids - and that's counting everything. I'm going back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks and I'm afraid because I never know how my body is going to react. Some days I can eat well, and other days I can't even drink water. This morning I drank half of my protein drink and it's sitting like a knot in my stomach. I'm trying to eat some cheese, but it's 'sticking' (what I call it when it feels like the food won't go past the bottom of my throat), so it will go back in the fridge and in awhile I'll try some tea. There are sure times I regret this surgery. Do I want to be thinner and healthier, of course I do, but at what cost? What is quantity of life if there is little quality? As you can tell, I'm pretty down in the dumps right now. Traci, I'm so sorry you're going through this. If it helps, you are not alone. I have an ulcer and a stricture - the stricture can't be dilated, so that leaves me with an opening in my staple line and food going into my old stomach. The doc and I are giving it 3 months to see if I lose weight, if not, we will have to re-do the surgery....jeesh, I sure didn't bargain for that! Hopefully, we are just starting off bumpy, and the road will even out soon. Please feel free to email me if you want to vent.... Hugs, Nancy
JulieSM
on 9/12/04 4:53 am - Hesperia, CA
Traci, I am sorry you are traveling this hard road, I hope they are able to diagnose whats happening and take care of it for you quickly, could it be a stricture? Hope things work out well!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views