Uh-oh. I've got a pill problem!

jcordell
on 9/7/04 3:50 pm - TX
OK, so on Saturday I started running a fever. It was like 100.9. Sunday it went to over 101, so I paged my surgeon (per his instructions). He asked me some questions, and said it didn't sound surgery related. Monday it got over 102. YIKES! Today, I called the surgeons office, and he "was running a little late", but would call me when I got in. Having little faith that would happen, I called my PCP and she could see me at 2:15 today. Well, I already pretty much know what's going on based on my fever and the whitish-yellow spots in my throat--strep. So, I go see my PCP, and apparently strep has been running rampant the past two weeks. She prescribes me antibiotics, and I go pick them up at Walgreens, come home, open the bottle to take one, and GUESS WHAT--THEY'RE HUGE!!!! They're bigger than the gallbladder pill that I have to break in half to swallow. Problem is, these ones can't be broken in half because they're powder inside of a plastic capsule thingy. Ummmmm...this sucks! Any thoughts? Oh, here's the upshot: the first and only time I went to this PCP was to get a recommend for the surgery. Her name was given to me by my surgeon as a "WLS friendly PCP". So, as if she can't tell by looking at my weight now from a couple of months ago, she's like "oh, did you ever go through with that surgery?" I'm like "NO-the weight fairy paid me a visit and hauled off 60 pounds of flab..." Duh. But-here's what's funny--she acted like none of her patients had ever actually gone through with the surgery. She asked questions like "so is it true you can only eat a couple of bites of stuff?" and "do you think if you followed the same diet you're on now without having the surgery you would have lost weight?" THIS LADY RECOMMENDED ME FOR THE SURGERY AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!! OH, and then she was like "yeah I see all these shows where people have it and then they die or get really sick. Would you do it again?" It really was comical! Anyways, sorry about going off on a tangent. If anyone has had experience with big old pills that can't be split, please let me know! On a separate, more serious note, this post is in loving memory of my brother and best friend, Danny, who was killed three years ago today by a drunk driver. His birthday is tomorrow. Rest in peace, dear brother, and happy birthday. I'll see you soon. Keep the faith, my friends. -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/276/188 41.3% to goal
JustHat
on 9/7/04 4:18 pm - NM
Bad news, Jeff, if your taste buds are still in working order. You have to open up the capsules and dump the medicine in them out into something else like apple sauce. I have to do this with a couple of my meds. It is nasty. Well, mine is. I hope your's isn't so bad. I haven't found anything that does a good job of masking the taste, but if you do, please post. I am sorry to hear about your brother. I am sure he is watching over you and very proud of you. Hat
C J.
on 9/7/04 4:55 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Jeff, I suggest opening the capsules and mixing the contents with SF applesauce or pudding. Tasts nasty but it works. My condolences on the loss of your brother..... CJ
IrishIze
on 9/7/04 10:12 pm - NJ
My gall bladder meds are gigantic capsules, and I have to dump it into applesauce or some V-8 in order to get it down. I have to take Amoxicillin when I go to the dentist - 4 huge caps, so next time I go that ought to be a lot of fun...NOT!!! Hope you're feeling better soon - strep is NO fun!! Condolences on your brother, Jeff. I lost my sister suddenly at a young age and it's something you never get over. Happy Birthday Danny!! Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/04 10:27 pm - Somewhere Else
Unless you have allergies, you should try to always request liquid amoxil when you need anti-biotics...it works wonders for strep. I have always had troubles with large pills, so have always gotten the liquid when I needed it (especially with a throat infection). Nasty banana flavour, but it works. As others said....for now, mix the powder into apple sauce, just be sure to get the complete dose. Linda
Dawn H.
on 9/7/04 10:28 pm - Jersey CIty, NJ
HI Jeff. opening the pills seems to be the best option ..unless you call the pharmacy and see if they carry this antibiotic in liquid suspension. you didnt mention the name so I dont know off hand.. good luck.. feel better.. condolenses on your brother. Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/04 11:42 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Jeff, call your PCP and ask her if she can call in a prescription for you in LIQUID form. Augmentin makes a liquid in an adult dose. Of course, that's if you insurance copay is cheap... As for PCPs...a week before surgery, I had an appointment with my PCP, and he asked if I was going to have the surgery. I told him "Next week, actually." A week post-op, I got an ear infection, and he asked if I was going to have the surgery. DUH! He should have written that down when I first told him! These doctors are so observant, aren't they? Pamela 352/320/135
Gina F
on 9/8/04 12:31 am - Belton, TX
Jeff, From everything I've heard, for WLS patients, we should ask our docs for an antibiotic shot followed by something oral (could be liquid). Because of the malabsorption issues, the pills probably aren't going to take care of the problem. Maybe if you call and share that, she won't make you pay another copay. Hugz, Gina F.
threegetts
on 9/8/04 3:20 am - Rio Rancho, NM
Jeff, I'd call the dr. and ask them to give you the penicillin shot. I think this may be your best option at this point. I hate strep!! I hope you're feeling better soon. Cindy 267/222/132
JulesC
on 9/8/04 5:22 am - Spring Hill, TN
Jeff - Sorry about the strep. You have to open the capsules and then may still need to use a pill crusher (I do for a capsule I have to take). I dissolve my crushed pills in hot chicken broth. Still nasty, but the heat helps dissolve them and makes my pouch feel better. Jules
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views