Strictures

JustHat
on 9/6/04 4:02 pm - NM
I was just wondering how many of you have had a stricture so far and what week(s) were you in? And, if you have, what type of diet were you eating when it developed? My surgeon has said that often, strictures are caused by the patient not eatting correctly. He believes in only eating food that has been in a blender and can be sucked through a straw for the first 8 week. Hat
Tanja Y
on 9/6/04 8:04 pm - Wahiawa, HI
I havn't ever had one (knock on wood) and I've yet to use my blender for anything except protein shakes. ~Tanja
Blackbutterfly
on 9/6/04 8:35 pm - duluth, GA
I had a stricture at 10 weeks out. I don't think that my stricture came from eating the wrong foods. I never got that far. I was only able to tolerate liquids any thing eles got stuck and came back up. I blended everything. I was told that strictures sometimes occur during healing. The scaring overlaps your passage. I have been cures and have been eating since for one week. I never knew how good alittle bit of food taste. Serita open rny july 12 2004
Cindi
on 9/7/04 12:31 am - Nashville, GA
I delevoped a stricture at 3 weeks out. My surgeon said it was too early for a stricture but I had one. I was doing way too much stuff during that time and the stress on the healing pouch caused my stricture. I was working 9 hr days and driving 5 hrs on the weekends...apparently I needed surgery on my brain as well. I was entering the soft food stage but I was unable to get down food or drink at that point. By the way, I still haven't used my blender...I can't tolerate anything much above yogurt and protein shakes. Cindi -58.5
Rebekah M.
on 9/7/04 7:13 am - Framingham, MA
Hi, there. I am 6 weeks out and have been on solid food for 2 weeks...no strictures at all. Good luck! -Rebekah
IrishIze
on 9/7/04 7:58 am - NJ
I developed a stricture and an ulcer around 5 weeks out. I was hospitalized for 5 days, and they were unable to dilate the stricture. I still have to have another procedure done, but for right now, I am able to eat because the food is going through a hole in my staple line into my old stomach. I see my doc tomorrow, so we'll see what he thinks. I had just moved on to regular foods, but never could eat them because of the stricture. I still am afraid to try too much - I stick to soft, less dense foods. Hugs, Nancy
DEBI
on 9/8/04 3:20 am - Indianapolis, IN
I had RNY 7/28/04...I think we are in prime stricture territory....lol. If we eat too fast and don't chew well...the food causes the stoma to swell and food can't pass. Also, some people are different and their stoma closes on it's own...one woma in our group has had to have her stoma opened 3 times....it keeps wanting to close. My troubles began at 30 days when I was allowed to add meat. I am now back on soft foods only....mashed potatoes and green beans are my new favorite foods....and about the only thing I don't want to throw up. Oh well...this too shall pass. Keep up the loosing!!
MarinaS
on 9/9/04 3:47 am - Small Town, WA
My stricture was at 5 weeks and was in the intestine just above the Y. The intestine is put through a fatty wall which had closed down on the intestine. When they did the scope to expand the stricture they created an ulcer in my stoma creating internal bleeding. Spent a total of 18 days in the hospital this past month on a PICC and TPN. Nothing to do with what I was eating.
Nay7529
on 9/9/04 9:18 am - Westbury, NY
That infuriates me that your surgeon would tell you such nonsense. I am six months out and have had 10 (yes, 10) strictures. If you havent let this man operate on you already, I would seriously look for a different one. That is absolutely ridiculous. For those of you that know me, know that I havent had an easy time, but that I wouldnt impose my views on this surgery to someone else. But, come on, I have to draw the line with this incompetance. Please, please do your homework and dont let absurdity get in your way to a successful surgery. Email me any time with any questions that you may have. Good luck. -96 -Renee
JustHat
on 9/9/04 1:36 pm - NM
I didn't really think that what I ate had anything to do with strictures. But, to reenforce my belief, I posted the question. Thanks for the reply. My first, and cross your fingers-only, stricture was at 3 weeks. Since then, I have had the worst time eating. I can move slowly to solids in 2 weeks. But, I know I won't be able to. It got so I was barfing every meal no matter what it was. Today is the first day I haven't barfed in weeks. It has become so bad that I all but stopped trying to eat anything including protein shakes. Today I had most of a protein shake and a little bit of egg drop soup. The worst part of my barfing was that my pouch would get mad and I couldn't even drink for hours. I was half convienced that I had another stricture. I saw my surgeon this week and he talked to the doc that did my stretching. Between the two of them, they didn't think it was. So, I started on a new med that coats my pouch before I eat. So far, so good. But, since I have already had a stricture, I expect another at some point. I really hope not though since it looks like I will lose my insurance soon. Thanks for your reply. I am going to go read your profile now. And, hopefully I will learn something. I didn't identify the stricture I had early enough last time and was sicker than a dog. I hope that next time I will know better what to look for and not wait so long before treatment. More than you wanted to know, I am sure. Sorry. Hat
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views