What can I eat now?

Phyllis C.
on 9/5/04 11:58 am - Fort Benning, GA
Hello everyone, I have a question. I am 6 weeks post op. What kind of foods should I be eating? I eat eggs, cottage cheese and watermelon and tuna and chicken thats about it. I'm doing okay. I was just wondering if there is other food for me. May-be I shouldn't be eating all that. I don't know. I've lost about 39 or 40 pounds so far!! I feel good a lot of the time. I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. I sure go threw my moods. I hate being moody. That wasn't me before! Well I hope all of you are doing good. God Bless you all. Hugs, Phyllis
Debra O.
on 9/5/04 1:37 pm - Chino, CA
My Dr. okayed me to eat anything now. He just said to introduce new foods one at a time to see if i can tolerate them...I have to tell you, I'm not tolerating alot.lol ~Debra
IrishIze
on 9/5/04 1:54 pm - NJ
I have problems with some of the denser foods like chicken and tuna. I have to have a sauce or gravy in order for my pouch to accept them. I eat whipped cottage cheese, fresh mozzerella with roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar (yummy!), tonight I tried Wendy's chili for the first time. It tasted good, but it's kind of sitting like a lump. I guess we all proceed at our own pace.... Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/04 11:22 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
At six weeks, you should be able to eat any soft fruits, like bananas, apples, pears, etc, as well as things like rice, bread, cheese, soft cooked vegetables, deli-sliced turkey or chicken, and beans. At eight weeks, you should pretty much be able to eat anything except for beef, pork, grapes, raisins, corn, and citrus, which is allowed at six months. I, on the other hand, have been eating pretty much everything from as soon as I could tolerate it, which means I have ground beef at many of my meals. These things are per my nutritional guidelines, but everyone has a different food outline. If you don't have a list given to you by your surgeon or dietician, then I'd recommend testing the waters with other foods, though I suggest staying away from "junk" food like chips, french fries, etc. Pamela 352/322/135
Gail A.
on 9/6/04 12:42 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Dear Pamela, THis is my first posting. I am RNY 7/19, and have lost about 36 pounds. I read your suggestions, but almost NOTHING tastes good to me. I am subsisting on 1% cottage cheese, goat cheese, and Greek youghurt...I am making sure I get enough liquids, and one 35-gram protein shake a day. I think my total grams of protein are hoving around 70-75...but there are many days I am unable to keep "dinner" down. I have discovered the trick of bringing things back up that get stuck. Even eggs, which I pre-op loved in all forms, are exceedingly unappealing to me now. I hunted for a high protein cereal to mix into the yougurt, and found some 10-12 gram protein cereals. Sweet things do not appeal to me at all. I am avoiding soup, but find that some chili tastes ok, looking for the beans and ground beef to give me protein. Any suggestions for someone who is 7 weeks out of surgery? I am getting all my meds down, but want to find some food that appeals. Gail p,s, have you really gone from 352 to 135 in 10 weeks? 260/224
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/04 12:59 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Sometimes people have a hard time adjusting to new foods, and sometimes nothing sounds or tastes good to them. I think that is something that only time will cure, unfortunately. Try not to stress about what you aren't eating or are not able to tolerate right now. As long as you are meeting your nutrient goals, everything else will eventually work out. Make certain that you aren't taking too big a bite or eating too fast...that is why food gets stuck, and why we sometimes will vomit. As for my weight signature...352/322/135...I started at 352, I am at 322, and I am setting my goal at 135. You'll see that sort of thing on a lot of posts... Pamela 352/322/135
jcordell
on 9/6/04 11:16 am - TX
Hi Phyllis, Each doc has different philosophies on what you can or can't eat. My doc told me at 5 weeks to go for it, with the few exceptions of popcorn, celery and things with peels that can block the stoma. So far, I've learned that if it doesn't get stuck, it stays down. My worst experience was Wendy's chili (the first time I tried it), and RICE!!! I ate like 6 rice kernels and they got stuck! I was miserable and throwing up the rest of the night! I've had no problems with beef or chicken, and haven't tried tuna or pork. The easiest meal for me to eat is Wendy's chicken nuggets. The five weigh about 2 oz, and the honey mustard is low in carbs. Kind of great when you can eat for the day at only $.99! Anyway, you'll learn over time what your body will and will not tolerate. It will be rough, but at least you'll know what NOT to eat in the future! Best of luc****ep smiling and keep the faith! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/277/188 40.7% to goal
NadineM
on 9/7/04 4:32 am - Vancouver, WA
Well, I was a VERY-BAD-GIRL, I was 2 weeks and couldn't stand the liquids anylonger and went on to mushy foods. At my 3 week visit I told the Dr's assistant that I had also tried a piece of chicken that past week. She said if I tolerated it to go ahead and try solids. I think some people suffer on the liquids and mushy soft foods way longer then they need to. But I also have been a slower looser of weight, so maybe that's why because I went onto real foods so soon. Of course if we all stay on liquids for 2 months well loose 100 pounds...ha ha!! So as everyone is different and every Dr's advice is different, so is what everyone's been eating. I am also about 6 weeks and have only lost 23 pounds, sounds like your doing great! Just try things slowly....and chew, I have already had 2 episodes of that! Was NOT fun! Good luck! Nadine
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views