I'm finally home . . .Long road to recovery

lsutiger80
on 9/4/04 8:20 am - Metairie, LA
Well, I finally got to go home yesterday. Since my original surgery date of 7/7 I have been hospitalized 4 times for a total of 38 days. I have had 3 different surgeries and am now how on a feeding tube that goes directly into my small intestines. I am under home health care and am receiving care for the feeding tube and the abcess of one of the incisions from the 3rd surgery. My big worry is the infection of the incision that I have. But, I am in so many meds, I'm sure this will clear up in time. If I weren't getting home health care, the Dr. said he would have to keep me in the hospital. I have missed my family so much. I have put them through so much. Timing couldn't have been worse. Three of my 4 kids were starting new schools. My youngest son Seth is autistic and this has been particularly difficult for him. New school, out of routine, staying with my parents. We had to split the younger two for the older two since their schedules are all so hectic. I actually got to have all 4 kids home today. Can't tell you how muoh it did for me mentally. I missed them so. None of them could come up to the hospital so I hadn't seen them in almost 3 weeks. The goal at this point is to learn to eat again. Reintroduce fluids and food back into me and be able to keep things down. As time goes on I will be less and less dependent on the feeding tube and will get enough nutrition from eating and drinking. There is no time frame on this but I will be taking things very slowly. Everything has to go through the feeding tube at this time. What a process this has been. I will update you as I am able to. Rhonda DS 7/7/04
jcordell
on 9/4/04 10:45 am - TX
Rhonda, I wish you a speedy recovery with no more complications. May God bless and watch over you as you adapt to your new life. I wish there was more I could say to be of comfort...but, as always, keep smiling and keep the faith. Your WLS Brother, -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/280/188
GailD
on 9/4/04 12:27 pm - Racine, WI
Rhonda, So sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. I hope everything will continue to improve and you will get stronger and healthier with each day. Hope it helps to know that your July WLS buddies are here for you! Gail D.
IrishIze
on 9/4/04 2:11 pm - NJ
Oh, Rhonda, what a difficult time you have had! I'm so sorry that you and your family had to go through this. I am though, very glad that you are on the road to recovery. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that things continue to improve every day. Please keep us posted here.... Hugs, Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/04 1:02 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I am sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble! I'm glad that you were able to get home health care. I think that being at home and with your family will help you recover so much more quickly. You may not have the constant eye of a doctor, but you're going to be much more comfortable and happy at home. Get well soon!
NadineM
on 9/5/04 1:09 am - Vancouver, WA
Rhonda, I wish all the best in your recovery. Sounds like you have a horrible time, and hopefully this has all passed and you are onto bigger (I mean smaller) and better things!!! God Bless you and your family! Hugs, nadine
Margaret F.
on 9/7/04 2:50 pm - (7-07-04)
Rhonda, What have you had to have 3 add'l surgeries for? I'm so sad to hear how much difficulty you have had. I hope things get better for you . I'm saying a prayer right now! love, margaret
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views