Everyone has lost more than me....

Marcy B.
on 9/3/04 10:23 am - West Bloomfield, MI
I know its so hard not to compare weight loss- and to be governed by what the scale says. But what if there were no scales? How else would we measure ourselves? I get stressed out too when the scale doesn't do what I think it should do, as if that is the only way to measure my success. I saw my bariatric doctor yesterday and he made me feel lots better. I had the surgery on 7/20- and presurgically I was 355- and now I am 327- and for the past two weeks the scale has not moved ( except the other day when it showed a 2lb weight gain. What my doctor explained to me is that this is what is known as a "noisy" weight loss - lots of stuff and noise is happening around the weight loss to make it seem like nothing is happening, but it is. It could be bowel issues, water retention hormones..who knows-but the bottom line is that we are losing- its just that the scale is not reflecting it. Thankfully I took my measurements before the surgery so that made me feel lots better when I measured myself again- I have lost a total of 26 inches..so something is definitely happening. I am fitting into smaller sizes and I am moving better. I also looked at the changes in my blood work- My cholesterol is down from 210 to 170 in 6 short weeks. I also no longer have borderline high blood pressure. So I have decided to make every effort to look at the other measurements of success and stop focusing on the scale. Whats the difference how fast we lose anyway? the bottom line is that we will all lose the weight eventually anyway if we follow our food plans- and exercise. I am proud of myself for having had the surgery and I am proud of all of the changes I have made like keeping a food diary- being honest with myself about food choices- planning ahead- and most importantly taking care of myself. I made a decision early on not to report my weight loss statistics to anyone. I didn't want to be under anyone's scrutiny or judgement. So why should I be judge and jury for myself if the scale doesn't measure up to what other people's weight losses are? To hell with the scale!!!
alli E.
on 9/4/04 10:23 am - CA
I know how u are feeling cause i feel that way too-- but I know not to compare myself to others. I had surgery 7/14/04 and at 6 days post op i lost 16 lbs!!!!! Oh my! Now I had my 6 weeks check up and I lost a total of 35lbs ---- But I think that is WONDERFUL! Although I hear others losing way MORE! But I know that my body will do what is best and i will reach my goal of a healthy weight, eventually!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views