big pouch ????

heather_y
on 9/2/04 3:22 am - Goldsboro, NC
ok....I am 7.5 weeks post op and find that I can eat about 4-5 oz. at a time. I'm not talking about yogurt or sf pudding, I am talking meat !!! Last night I had 3 oz. of smoked sausage with 2 oz. of refried beans and a slice of cheese !!! I only eat 3 meals a day and do get hungry. I have lost 37 pounds so far and I am thrilled with that !!! I have been able to keep down everything I have tried so far....tuna, shrimp, salmon, chicken, meatloaf, cheese, ham, turkey.....I'm sure there is more. Is there anyone else out there like me ?????
Cathy I.
on 9/2/04 4:54 am - Shelby Township, MI
I am 6.5 weeks post op and can handle about the same amount of food. I have 3 "regular" meals but do have a protein shake mid morning and usually a protein bar mid afternoon or save it for a late night snack. I have not had any problems keeping food down. The only beef I have had has been ground beef. They told us to stay away from red meat for about 6 months. The 4oz of food is more than enough to eat. The only time I am hungry is in the morning. It has usually been 10 hours since my last bit of food. Isn't this the greatest? This is the easiest 40lbs I have ever lost! It only seems to keep getting better every day. Continued success on your WL journey. Cathy I
IrishIze
on 9/2/04 5:53 am - NJ
I'm not there quite yet. I've had a few setbacks, and I struggle to get in 4 Tablespoons at a time!! I also have problems with denser foods like fish and meats. I can eat deli ham and real mozzerella cheese. Guess we're all different and as long as we're losing, that's the main thing!! Nancy
Heather M.
on 9/2/04 7:25 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Heather, I had my surgery a week after you and when I read your post I was like "whew, I'm not the only one". lol My biggest problem though is I can't not drink when I eat. I have to! Not sure how much that effects how much I can eat. Heather
Cathy C.
on 9/2/04 11:42 am - Chicago, IL
Heather, We went to pre-op classes to learn such things as how fluids taken within 30 minutes before or after a meal influences the way your pouch responds to a meal. Fluids with solid food will cause it to flush out the pouch. The negative thing about that is you will not be able to have the feeling of saiety if that happens and you'll be hungry soon after you eat. Please read Pouch Rules for Dummies to learn how your pouch works. The goal is to achieve a feeling of saiety so you won't have hunger pangs. Then you won't eat more than you need to in order to keep losing weight. I suggest you discuss this need to drink with your surgeon or his staff nutritionist because if your food is too dry then there is no reason not to thin it a bit before you eat it. Good luck and let us know what they say. BTW: I love your bear. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 -43 pounds
Marcy B.
on 9/2/04 9:31 am - West Bloomfield, MI
So, I'm not the only one who thought they made the pouch too big? I manage 1/4 to 1/2 c per meal- and with chili I can eat 1 cup. The nutritionist says I am doing fine. And although I want to be losing more weight I guess I can't complain- 6 weeks out 31 lbs lighter and 26 inches less.
Mea A.
on 9/4/04 9:04 am - Western, MA
Hi Heather - We are surgery twins . I think you are doing fine. I could prolly eat the meal you described. I usually eat 5 small meals a day, exercise, vitamins and WATER. Good luck . Mea 7/12/04 -44.5
Karen K.
on 9/5/04 2:07 am - Central, CA
Hi! I'm almost 6 weeks out and am JUST like you described. I have tolerated everything I've tried and often worry about the qty. I am able to eat. My Dr. does not tell you how much to eat. He says to "eat until you feel full, then stop. Don't go back to what you didn't finish, no grazing and only 2 snacks." Well, I never really feel "full", so I just try to eat the qty's I see others eating whose Dr.'s give a qty. Although the other night I ate a whole boneless, skinless chicken thigh, a few green beans and about 3 bites of couscous. It seemed like a lot, definately more than the "egg" size my pouch is supposed to be! But my pouch was totally comfortable. I've lost 34 pounds, so something is working. But I wonder if I'd be losing more if I was only eating 1/4 - 1/2 cup like i was in the 1st few weeks????
heather_y
on 9/5/04 8:00 am - Goldsboro, NC
I am so glad to see there are others out there like me !!!! My Dr. did not give me any guidelines to follow either....so I am just doing what I think is best. I have lost 39 pounds now, so I guess it's going well !!! Thanks so much for all the replies.....I feel better knowing that I am not "weird" !!!
curlysue 9.
on 9/5/04 11:26 pm - Demopolis, AL
Heather, I am so glad that I read your post!! I truly thought that I was the only one who had the same problem. I can eat anything. I have eaten the same kind of meats as you and none have given me problems. Depending on what exactly I am eating, I can eat about 4-5 ounces also!! I can eat a whole lot of shrimp! I was so worried in the beginning because my doc said that I would probably only be able to eat 1-2 bites of food. I don't know what he means by "bites", but I am definately eating more than what that sounds like!! When I weigh, I am losing an average of 3-4 pounds a week. So, as long as I am losing something and keep it up, then I don't care!! THanks for your post!! Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views