How much excercise does it take?!

joolee
on 8/31/04 5:39 am - Mira Loma, CA
I had my surgery on 7/26 and I just started excercising 2 weeks ago. I'm walking at least 1 to 2 miles every other day. I've lost 31 lbs so far but I'm wondering if I could loose more if I excercised more. What are you doing for excercise?
C J.
on 8/31/04 6:44 am - Port Hueneme, CA
I'm using a Gazelle for 30 minutes. I 'm really trying to exercise everyday but it's hard findng the energy. I'm in hibernation mode I think your doing great so far. I had surgey a couple of days after you did and have lost 35 pounds. CJ
Rebekah M.
on 8/31/04 9:43 pm - Framingham, MA
Hi, there. My doc told me I had to start walking as soon as I got out of the hospital, everyday, and had to work up to 40 mins a day by the time I saw him for my 2 week appointment...so I'd guess you could at least double what you are doing by walking everyday. I had my surgery one day after you. My exercise regimen includes swimming everyday for 30-45 minutes (depending on the day), water aerobics 3 days a week, weight training 2-3 days a week, and bike riding whenever I can. Keep in mind...I exercised like this before the surgery too (it just never worked before)...if you are not used to a lot of exercise don't push yourself. Work up slowly and talk to your doctor about what you should be doing. Before I worked back up to that amount of exercise I was losing VERY SLOWLY. Now I am losing about half to one pound a day and am very happy with that. I totally expect it to slow down as my body gets used to the exercise again (I went three weeks with walking only...didn't work). Good luck! -Rebekah
Roni P.
on 9/2/04 4:49 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Rebekah, Good job! I am so impressed with your exercising. We had surgery on the same day- so we're kind of twins huh? Would you mind if I ask how much you've lost so far and what your starting weight was? I've lost 33 lbs. so far. I was hoping for a little more by now. I'm walking on my treadmill every day for about 20 min. Increasing my distance every day but I haven't made it to a mile yet. Good luck to you. You are really an inspiration to me. Roni
Rebekah M.
on 9/2/04 5:09 am - Framingham, MA
Hi, Roni, Yep, sounds like we are twins. Actually, I've lost less than you...29 lbs so far...and 10 of that was before the surgery...I hit a plateau a week out of surgery that lasted 2 and a half weeks...so for my first almost 4 weeks, I only lost a little...then all of a sudden it started coming off...fast...about half to a pound a day, sometimes more...of course, that was really when I started doing more than just walking...walking does nothing for me. Anyway, my starting weight was 220 lbs (I'm 4' 10"). I'm really hoping to get down to about 100-110 (80-90 lbs left )...according to my doc I should weigh between 95 lbs and 119 lbs for my height...I don't think I want to be under 100. Thirty-three pounds is great! I wish I had lost a little more, but I see that it is coming off...and other people do too, so I'm happy. Also, today I had the hardest time keeping my skirt on (and I really had to make sure it stayed...I'm a high school teacher...it would not have been fun explaining to my boss that my skirt fell off in front of a bunch of kids). The skirt used to be on the tight side...I picked it out last night and it even flashed through my mind that it wouldn't fit, that it would be too tight...I certainly never thought it would be too big! And I couldn't change it cuz I go to the gym in the morning before work, and I shower there and head straight to work. Oh, and someone else said that how much is not as important as the percentage of what you've lost. I think you figure it out by how much you have lost divided by how much you needed to lose, multiply by 100. I did the treadmill while I couldn't swim or lift weights...I hated it...boring! Even with the tv on. But I much prefer swimming...I have all my life. Don't worry about not making a mile...my doc told me that the time is more important than the distance...don't try to go too fast. Okay, I'm rambling. Congrats on your weightloss! Good luck. -Rebekah
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views