Abdominal pain 8 weeks out???

jcordell
on 8/30/04 1:16 pm - TX
Hey guys, I am going to be 8 weeks post on Wednesday. About two weeks ago, I started having abdominal pains, especially when I bend over of lift anything. Prior I was pain free. I just don't feel right...I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not. I called my surgeon, and he said I might have pulled a muscle in my abdomin, but it's not that kind of pain...I think I might have a leak or something, and every day that goes by without addressing it is another day that it will get worse. Any advice for a guy who hates doctors? Should I circumvent my surgeon and see my PCP? I'm sick of feeling this way. I just wish I could have an upper GI done to put my mind at ease... If any of you have experienced anything similar, please let me know. Keep smiling and keep the faith! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/280/188
Paige F.
on 8/30/04 1:35 pm - Lakewood Ranch, FL
Hey Jeff. My surgeon said that if you have a leak you will get very, very ill. Not just ab pains. Do you think it could be a hernia. As for seeing your PCP, I think you should if you feel like you should. I wouldn't worry about stepping on your surgeon's toes - it is your health. I hope you are feeling better soon! Paige RNY 7/16/04 306/253/?
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/04 1:50 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Recently, I had a funny pain in my abdomen. It wasn't tender or swollen, but it hurt if I put pressure on it. It seemed to be more of a surface pain...like instead of a pulled muscle, I had some pulled fat. It just didn't feel very deep at all. It went away after a few days, though. I agree that a leak should make you VERY sick...you could have a hernia, or inflamed tissue (my sister had inflamed breast tissue that felt like a pulled muscle). Who knows? But you DEFINITELY need to have someone look at it, surgeon or not.
bunnymorris
on 8/30/04 2:51 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Jeff, I just got over about 1.5-2 weeks of feeling bad (little nausea) and a sore spot right below my breast bone. I went to the dr. he checked blood for infection but the level wasn't too high so he said let's watch to see if hernia comes into play. He said he didn't think it was serious but he wanted to be sure of no infection. Well. I just put myself on half days at work, rested, even went back to soft food & liquids. Today I finally was able to walk, work about 5-6 hours and not be in pain. Mine happened if I bent over or got over tired. I finally backed off and took care of ME. It seems to have worked but you still should check out in case you have an infection. Be good to yourself. Good luck! Love, Bunny
C J.
on 8/30/04 4:12 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Okay Jeff....Call your surgeon and make an appointment! You are not paranoid and it needs to be worked up. I doubt if its a leak, 2 weeks with an untreated leak would most likely leave you dead. But it could be an abcess or a hernia or adhesions or muscle or who knows.....bit please go find out and let us know what the doc says. This IS the time for taking charge of your health! CJ
Heather M.
on 8/30/04 11:49 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
Jeff, I started having a cramping pain about a week ago on the left side of my incision about 2 inches down from my rib cage. I saw both my surgeon and my PCP yesterday and they both just ignored it. I've had alot of problems with my incision. The bottom part opened up on it's own draining and the top part they opened up so it could drain a week ago. My theroy on my pain is it is located between my incision and were my original drain was (which they pulled 4 days post op). I think I have a fluid pockey there that filled up the day they pulled my drain. Basically I think it's just a pocket of drainage that is causing my pain and I hope one day will go away so that my incision can heal because I'm getting sick of having to change a dressing on my stomache all the time. I thought 6 weeks out I would be completely healed. Anyhow the whole point of my babbling was because I didn't know if you have been having any drainage problems. Uggggh, Heather
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/04 10:13 am - Somewhere Else
Hiyas Jeff.. I get similar pains when I bend or lift, it seems it's the scar tissue under the incisions...very uncomfortable, but nothing serious..at least for me...I think you should talk to your dr to be sure though. If it was a hernia it would be unbearable pain. The pain I get is more of a pressure than anything, with a tad of *pain* mixed in... Hope all turns out well... Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views