I am not a July baby, but I have a ?

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/04 3:08 pm - Garden Grove, CA
RNY on 08/10/04 with
Hi guys, I just want to hear about others and their weight loss. I am not totally frusterated yet, but I don't understand. I started at 294 three weeks ago today. Today I woke up at 272....I have not lost anything in a week. Last Sunday, I weighed 272 also! Is this normal? I did lose 23 lbs in two weeks! Which is wonderful, I know! But why has it stopped? Anyone else stalled? Thanks!
Rebekah M.
on 8/29/04 9:19 pm - Framingham, MA
Hi, there. Congratulations on the 23 lbs. Don't worry...its normal. The exact same thing happened to me...and lasted 2 weeks. Don't get discouraged, you will start losing again. It is just your body adjusting to the fact that it is getting a lot less food than before the surgery...sort of a starvation mode...it will soon realize that it is still getting enough to function and will stop hoarding every calorie. It happened to me when I switched over to stage 2...going from 300 calories to 500-600 calories a day was a bit of a shock on my system. Anyway, good luck! -Rebekah
Great_Sphinx
on 8/29/04 10:22 pm - Medina, OH
Happened to me as well Lasted about 10 days and then I started loosing a lot again. I think mine may have had something to do with "that time of the month" as well, but I can not be sure. Anyway, 23 lbs is an awesome job!! You are doing great Elisabeth
Heather M.
on 8/29/04 11:28 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
Starting around the three week mark I stopped losing for about a week. Then I started back up for a week. Now I've stopped again. Don't let it worry you. You will keep losing. Remember it can take you two years to get to your goal. We get so excited with the sudden fast weight loss that we forget that we won't keep this pace up the whole time. I set low goals so when I stop I think "hey I'm ahead of my goal, wooo hooo". I told myself 20lbs. the first month and then 5-10lbs. each month after that. Heather
Determined to S.
on 8/30/04 2:41 am - Northeast, FL
RNY on 07/29/04 with
I too am stuck and have been for a week. However, I went and purchased some Metabosticks to ensure that I was still losing fat and every morning they confirmed it for me. Armed with this information, being stalled does not bother me as much now, but I can say that I look forward to when that scale starts moving again. D
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 8/30/04 5:46 am - MD
Its normal i lost 20lbs in the first two weeks and was still for 9 days then started up again ..im down 38 in 5 1/2 weeks.. hang in there it will come off cograts on the 23 lbs
Cathy C.
on 8/30/04 11:19 am - Chicago, IL
Did you take your measurements before surgery? I found that when I stalled a bit I was still losing inches. Measure yourself now and I bet you have lost some inches and it's just not showing on the scale yet. Now is no time to be discouraged. We're in this for the long haul. If you follow your nutritional guidelines, eat protein first and use whatever your surgeon recommended as a time interval. I am still eating 4 small high protein meals and seem to spend the rest of the time pacing myself with my pills, Rx and vitamins and fluids. You are doing just fine so don't fret and let stress lead you astray. If you find you are becoming a slave to the scales don't use them. Some folks have found that they can break a plateau by increasing either protein or water. It seems to me that if you are already getting 60-80 grams of protein you don't really need to do that because your protein requirements are being met and your body should not feel it necessary to go into starvation mode by lowering your metabolism. Try increasing your water if you're not getting 64 ozs. Other than that just learn to be patient and the little pouch will do its job over time if you are compliant with your nutritional guidelines. Stay away from two things; carbohydrates and the scales. See how that works for a week or two. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 -43 lbs
kellyh26
on 9/1/04 8:07 am - White Bluff, TN
Yep, that's totally normal DON'T become a slave to the scales... there will come a time when you'll even gain a pound or two if your jumping on the scales everyday this will mess with your head... just enjoy your clothes getting loser and weigh twice a month.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views