I just stumbled in....

Patima
on 8/28/04 9:24 am - GA
I don't know how I ended up here, but here I am! This is wonderful! A board full of folks who had surgery the same month I did! Talk about really being able to relate! I hope to make new friends and be able to go through this journey together! Patti
GailD
on 8/28/04 9:53 am - Racine, WI
Hi Patti! Welcome to the July surgery message board. I LOVE this place! We're all in the same boat! I had Open RNY on July 28th and have lost 22 lbs. I'm feeling great...and am very happy I had the surgery. I've got one more week at home before returning to work. How are you doing? Gail
Patima
on 8/28/04 10:05 am - GA
Hi Gail! Nice to meet you! I, too, had Open RNY the day before you, July 27th. I also have a silastic ring, did you? The first couple of weeks were rough, but am doing pretty good now. Have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday and should get my G-tube removed and my official one-month weight loss. (Hubby threw out our totally inaccurate scale.) Will post when it's official. Patti
GailD
on 8/28/04 10:17 am - Racine, WI
Hi Patti! Nice to meet you, too! I do not have a silastic ring...just the RNY. I had my G tube out a week ago last Tuesday (I had it for 3 weeks). Let me tell you....it'll be wonderful when you have it taken out! It makes you feel FREE and much more NORMAL! I'll bet you're excited to get your one-month weight loss! I'm doing pretty well with food. I'm currently walking a fine-line between pureed and soft diet. I see the dietician on Wednesday and I have a million questions! Gail
curlysue 9.
on 8/28/04 11:09 am - Demopolis, AL
I know exactly what you are talking about, Patti. I did the same thing. It is wonderful to be able to talk to people who are going through the same thing at the same time. Carol
Irene S.
on 8/28/04 11:44 am - NJ
Hi Patti, We are surgery buddies! I had surgery on the 27, too. My surgeon does banding, but uses a soft mesh instead of the silastic ring. I've had zero pain and no complications! Feeling great. I also go for my followup on Monday. irene
Siouxsie Rodriguez
on 8/28/04 6:07 pm - Temescal Valley, CA
Patti, Hello and Welcome. This is a wonderful board. I'm not a frequent poster, but I try and stop in as often as I can. Looking forward to sharing your weight loss journey with you! ~Susan aka: Gr8ful4MyFamily in Sunny Southern California WLS 7.14.04 @ 268 lb. 44 pounds gone forever!
Cathy C.
on 8/29/04 8:07 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Patti, Welcome indeed. I had an Open RNY on the 26th . The day before my surgery I downloaded all the people on AMOS who were scheduled for surgery on 7/26/04 and printed it up. There were over 35 people just like me facing surgery the same day. I used it as a sort of comfort for not being alone, not at all. If you go to the roster of members for this July 2004 group (see sidebar on left of this message) you will find over 1,000 members. Pretty impressive. I've enjoyed this group and found it more relevant than mixed date groups because we're all in the same boat. Getting my G-tube removed made sleeping so much easier. Enjoy! I'm still finding soft foods challenging so am sticking to pureed protein for now, with brief excursions to test the waters. Once a week I scramble up an egg and so far it's been like swallowing a brick. Two little bites and I can't eat any more. It's didscouraging. On the other hand I found that a vienna saussage didn't go down any better no matter how much I chewed it but when I put it thru my baby food grinder I had no problem eating it. I cannot get enough protein down in real food so I rely heavily on Isopure clear zero carb premixed glass bottled drinks, 20 oz (counts towards fluids too), 40 gms Protein, 0 gms carb, 160 cal. My nutrition team from my surgeon's office supports use of this drink for getting in their required 60 gms of protein daily. Welcome, Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 -44 lbs
Patima
on 8/30/04 6:07 am - GA
Yes, foods are a challenge. I am still in the pureed stage. I tried a scrambled egg, but couldn't get it to go down. Finally, I tried an old fashioned poached egg (runny yolk). It was great! That and 1/4 cup of cheese grits and I am stuffed! I also do well with Cream of Wheat. I didn't think I would like it, but someone recommended getting a can of Split Pea soup. I got it, made it with water, pureed the tar out of it and really it isn't bad! 9 grams of protein in 1/2 cup....but I can't get 1/2 cup down at one sitting. I put it in little tupperware containers and have almost a week's worth! Also, soupy mashed potatoes work great. Patti
Adrienne C.
on 8/29/04 10:27 am - Mahwah, NJ
Hi Patti, It's nice to meet you. I kind of just stumbled in myself to this July surgery date board. I had my lap rny on july 19th. Tomorrow is my 6 week anniversary. Thursday I go for my 6 week post-op check and weigh in. At 3 weeks I'd lost 20 pounds. I'm 6 feet tall so 20 pounds really didn't feel like anything. I'm finally starting to feel a little lighter. It's been a bit of a roller coaster so far and not alot of fun but I was prepared and it's all good - - - even when it's not been that pleasant. I think we're all on a learning curve now and probably will be for a few more months. I have no regrets. We all have good things to look forward to; we just need to be patient with ourselves. Nice chatting. Congratulations to you and to all those whose quality of life began to improve as of July 2004!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views