HELP I AM ON A PLATEAU!!

Linda B.
on 8/25/04 12:07 am - French Lick, IN
This is my first time on the messge board. My surgery was 7-20-2004 and I lost 25 pounds the first 3 weeks. But since I have struggled to lose 2 pounds (actually quit eating for a day before my dr. apt.to lose that) and for the past week have lost nothing. I am very discouraged. I know this sounds petty, but I am obsessed with the scales and weigh morning and night. I try to get my proteins and liquids down and do not over eat (I don't think). Any suggestions. I have been walking also. Please help.I didn't think I would plateau this early after the operation. I can't tell I have lost inches either.
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/04 12:59 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
A plateau will last several weeks, and usually requires a change in your eating habits (more or less calories) and exercise habits (trading walking for aerobics) in order to get the weight loss going again. In your case, being so freshly post-op, it is more likely that your body is trying to catch up with the your weight loss. As long as you are following your guidelines, you will begin to lose weight again without any real alterations to what you've already been doing. In my case, I lost 13lbs during my first month. In the last three weeks, I have lost 14lbs, and will probably reach the 20lb mark by the end of my eighth week. My body just had to adjust, and I am sure that yours will, too. As for the scale...I don't weigh every day, but I do weigh in on the days I go to the gym. I know that it can be frustrating when the scale doesn't move, but it WILL move. It can't help but move! Remember, your body has to play catch up at times so that you don't get sick or weak. Next week, you could lose five or six pounds in a couple of days...you just never know! I know that this probably doesn't help...weight loss is a very frustrating thing. If you continue to have problems, call your dietician or surgeon...they may be able to help you figure out why you aren't losing. Good Luck!
Irene S.
on 8/25/04 11:07 am - NJ
I have been on a stall for about 1.5 weeks or more. But I know that I am cyclical with weight loss. I usually don't lose in the 2nd half of my cycle. I consider myself lucky if I don't gain weight. For your own sanity, lock up the scale! irene
Siouxsie Rodriguez
on 8/25/04 1:59 pm - Temescal Valley, CA
You and me both sister! I had WLS 7-14-04 and I have been struggling with the same few pounds for over a week! Sometime I think the scale will NEVER move again, and that is it. I lost 41 pounds and now I'm done. it gets a bit discouraging ~Susan aka: Gr8ful4MyFamily in Sunny Southern California WLS 7.14.04 @ 268 lb. 41 pounds gone forever!
Tina I.
on 8/26/04 3:53 am - Minot AFB, ND
Hey Linda. I know how you feel. I dropped 50 pounds the first 5 weeks and I will be 8 weeks out on Tuesday and I have not lost anything for almost 3 weeks. I figure my body is trying to catch up and I know I need to start going to the gym. I just got released from the doc last week for that since Ihad an open infection. But all is well now, my son starts 2 day preschool next week and I have a date with the gym. Don't get discouraged from what I have read from the main board, there isn't much we can "screw up" these first 6 months. The weight will come off. We just need to be patient. Tina Good luck!
laura L.
on 8/26/04 4:18 am - Longview, TX
I know just what you mean. The same thing happened to me about 6 weeks out when I switched to real food. I got so worried I called the Dr.I think we have to be patient and keep on doing the right stuff, even though it doesn't show. I am having faith that it eventually will, but it is hard. Let's hang in there and if you learn anything new or if something works for you---Let me know RNY 7-2-04
Kelle W
on 8/26/04 7:42 am - Atlanta, GA
Boy do I know how you guys all feel. I had surgery on 7/6 and I feel like I've been stalled for 2 weeks or so. I don't have a scale at home so I won't know for sure until I visit the doc on Monday, but I don't feel like I'm loosing any right now. I just have such a hard time getting the water in and the protein down that I'm sure that has something to do with it. Also, I'm craving carbs like crazy, especially crackers...and I have been eating them. I never thought I'd see the day I felt guilty about crackers like I used to about candy. Any advice on getting what I need in? They took my gallbladder when I had surgery, so I have tons of bile in my system and it seems like the crackers soak some of it up and keep me from having such chronic diarhea. In fact I haven't eaten any today and I've been to the bathroom more than usual. Sorry for all the gory details, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Good luck to all of us! Kelle
Rebekah M.
on 8/27/04 12:39 am - Framingham, MA
Hi, there. Obviously, from the number of posts so far, you are not alone. I did the same thing. I am 4 weeks out. I lost 10 lbs in the first week. About 1 1/2 weeks out I hit a plateau...stayed there for over 2 weeks. I was following the guidelines and walking every day...didn't help. Then as my body got used to the fact that while I'm eating significanly less than I did before, I'm not starving, I started to lose again. I lost 3 lbs in a week...then 2 days ago I got the okay to start working out...as soon as I did that I started losing 2 lbs in a day (I am absolutely sure that will slow down as my body gets used to the shock). It will go. Hang in there! -Rebekah
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views