Plateau

ML
on 8/24/04 12:33 am - MD
I am 6 weeks out- 25lbs lost so far, but I have been on a plateau for almost 2 weeks. In fact, not only have I not lost weight, according to my scale- I have GAINED 6lbs!! OMG!! According to my scale, 2 weeks ago, I had lost 31lbs. I know that sometimesi when you hit a plateau, you may be losing inches, but that does not seem to be the case. I am pretty upset- my biggest fear with my surgery was that I would lose some small amount of weight- and that things would grind to a halt. Could this be it?
Shelly H C.
on 8/24/04 5:40 am - New Castle, DE
I am now 7 1/2 weeks out and have only lost 26 lbs. I am, however losing lots of inches. Have you measured yourself? At this point, it is the one thing that is stopping me from blowing a gasket. Most people say a plateau is a standstill that last for 4 weeks or more. I had not lost any weight since my Aug 4 Dr. Appoint, then all of a sudden, my scale started moving. I have given up worrying. I am just going to let my body do whatever it is it needs to do (I hope that makes sense). I Hope it gets better for you. ~Shelly
ML
on 8/24/04 6:34 am - MD
Thanks Shelly I guess I just need to keep plugging away and see what gives. Definitely wont be going on the scales for a while!!! Michele
Marcy B.
on 8/24/04 1:47 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
Oh my poor sisters of the scale...I can totally relate. I am 5 weeks out and as of last week I had lost 24 lbs. Of course after reading postings here with everyone elses progress I got bummed out. Wy me, I asked. My doctor told me a few things that made me feel good....3-4 lbs per week is the average...and at 25lb I am above that, and doing just fine, He also told me that when you lose FAT you lose it slower. Could be we lost all the fluid weight we needed to lose and now we are into losing fat which is what translates into the inches off. You know it is just a matter of time if we continue to do all of the right things that this weight will come off. A watched pot never boils...
Shelly H C.
on 8/25/04 6:15 am - New Castle, DE
I agree Marcy. It can be very disheartening to see everyone else losing weight so quickly, but we all have to realize that everyone's journey is different. If what your surgeon says is true, I'd rather be losing the fat. I know I could not have lost the weight I have lost thus far if it wasn't for the surgery. Girl you are definitely right about the watch pot never boiling! and believe me, I watch mine all the time. I have already gone from a tight 24W to a lose 22W and some 20's (although they tend to be a little tight). Thanks Marcy and have a great journey. ~Shelly
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/04 1:05 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
At one month out, I had lost 13lbs. Now, at 7 weeks out, I am down 27. I am very far behind the game, but I figure that by my three month mark, I will be close to "average," because my loss seems to be speeding up. Our bodies have to adjust to the initial shock of losing so much weight at one time. Once it does, the scale will move again. Unless there is something mechanically wrong with your surgery or you have undiagnosed hormone/thyroid problems, your weight will drop. Just get in that protein, drink your water, take your vitamins, and EXERCISE. Exercise is the key to moving a sluggish metabolism. Also, I noticed that some of you have lower BMIs than I do, and you STILL have me beat! When all is said and done, we will be healthy, and that is what counts. Good luck!
bamasweetpea
on 8/26/04 3:24 am - Fayetteville, NC
I also hit that same thing. I was exercising alot. I go to Curves 3 times a week and was walking 1 1/2 miles a day. I hit my plateau at 227 pds. I stayed there for almost 2 weeks. I then dropped to 217 in two days. I would gain 3 pounds then drop them. It wa**** and miss for those two weeks. I was so scared that I was eating too much or drinking too much that I was actually gaining the weight. The Dr.s office said that it was normal to have plateaus early on. I guess that it is your body is going into starve mode and is trying to hold the FAT!
Roni P.
on 8/26/04 5:40 am - Tucson, AZ
I am a newbie. I have never posted before but have been reading losts of posts. I can use any advise or words of encouragement you might have for me. I am so glad I read this string of messages. I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and haven't lost weight in almost two weeks. At ten days post-op I went to the doctor and had lost 20 lbs. Shortly thereafter I lost another 5lbs. but nothing since. I was really starting to freak out this week. I thought maybe its what I've been eating or because I am not drinking enough water. I've asked myself a million questions. I was on the verge of calling my surgeon's office. Thank you all for putting my fears to rest! To know that others are experiencing the same thing is a BIG relief and a GREAT COMFORT.
choeffel
on 8/30/04 4:41 am - cincinnati, OH
my date was july 9 and i lost 35lbs as of today. It was the first day I could feel it. I am sick every night though. Not fun. The slower they say the better and less droopy skin, We will all make it and we will all have our bad days. I still have 80lbs to lose to get to my goal. We must be strong,Cindy from cincinnati
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views