I need help with protein!

marilyn P.
on 8/20/04 7:24 am - RACINE, WI
i am having the toughest time keeping the protien drink down, i've tried whey mix, comes back up, i,ve tried unjury, same thing, and i am only 5 weeks out. any suggestion i would love to hear from you, marilyn
Cathy C.
on 8/20/04 11:40 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Marilyn, What have you been able to keep down? What liquids and what food? Cathy RNY 7/26/04 -40 lbs
IrishIze
on 8/20/04 1:07 pm - NJ
I've been having problems keeping the protein drinks down too. I went to GNC and got Liquid Protein. Three tablespoons = 18 g of protein. It's fruit punch flavored; not great tasting but better than having to drink 8 oz of it. I try and take it 2 times a day, so that gives me 36g of protein. Nancy
houstondoll
on 8/20/04 1:59 pm - Houston, TX
I have the same problem... I could probably hold it down but it taste so going down that sometimes I don't even want to try. I do have 4 protein bars sitting here waiting on me to try them... but they are so high in carbs?????? If u find out any info plz email me.... I'd like to know what to do... iS THERE A tasteless protein drink??????
sradcli74
on 8/21/04 4:31 am
Hi Doll, Have you tried Isopure pre-mixed liquid protein or the Nectar brands? They have really good fruity flavors and go down very well. THey are on the expensive side, but well worth it for the taste. Good luck.
Cathy C.
on 8/20/04 2:36 pm - Chicago, IL
Marilyn, Have you tried getting some of the plain whey powder which you can mix in anything? Check out: http://www.iherb.com/ultilocawhey.html Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Powder, Natural Flavor, BioChem, 12.3 oz. (350 g) Label Information: " Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Powder, Natural Flavor, BioChem, Country Life, Net Wt 12.3 oz. (350 g) Same Great Powder New Look! ? 20g Protein Per Serving ? 1 g of Carbs! ? 100% Pure Ultra-Filtered/Micro-Filtered Whey Protein Isolate ? 99% Undenatured Whey Peptides ? Fat-Free and Lactose-Free ? Mixes Instantly Hope this is helpful. Best of luck. Cathy RNY 7/26/04
melissab
on 8/20/04 11:29 pm - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Hi there, I am the same as you. I can't use any of the protein supplements or I am so ill feeling! Here is what I do: 1 pouch Carnation Instant Breakfast (0 sugar, 0 carbs) 1 cup Lactaid fat free milk (higher in protein than regular fat free milk so even if you can handle lactose you may want to try the Lactose free stuff just for these drinks) 1/4 cup of fat free skim milk powder I put it all into a sports bottle, put on the lid, and shake shake shake it up, and pour it into a glass to drink. It tastes very smooth with the added milk powder, and all together is around 20gms of protein. If you drink 2 throughout they day (they can replace your breakfast or a snack or whatever, some surgeons' count them only as liquid) you are getting 40gms of protein and it should be easier to get 20gms via your meals (adding skim milk powder to eggs, yogurt, pudding etc helps you increase your protein content without any noticable change in taste). I found this to be a very tasty way to get my protein, and in the long run it's alot cheaper than the supplements too. Good luck! Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/04 11:52 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Not that I'd recommend what I've been doing since your surgeon has his own protocol...but I don't even bother with the shakes any more. Just the thought of them makes me want to gag. My dietician says that once you are able to introduce solid foods, you should get most of your protein from them, which is good because that's what I had been doing since about week 4. Turkey, tuna salad (add an egg for an extra boost), and string cheese are chock full of protein. If you still have to drink supplements per doctor's orders, try GNC Zero-Carb Isopure. It takes like a watered-down Kool-Aide...not thick or chalky at all. They're pricey, but worth it.
TweedyBird
on 8/21/04 12:19 am - Somewhere, AR
I like Isopure protein shakes. I switched and tried another and did not like it, it was like drinking straight foam! So now I am back to Isopure. Also, there was the nector something that a lady was sending free samples to people on the main board (did you see that thread?), oh it was really good! It was called fuzy Navel, very good. Since I still have the foam stuff, I only mix 4 ozs of low carb soy milk with mine, so I do not have much to drink too! Oh, here is some information I did not know. My trainer told me and then come to find out people on the other board already knew. So here goes, did you know your body can only process 30 grams of protein at one time, if you do anymore it is wasted!!!!! So I stopped doing two scoops of protein too! Tweedy
lacoy30
on 8/21/04 7:48 am - dumfries, va
RNY on 07/21/04 with
I also had the same problem and I tryed several different kinds.So now I mix mine thinner with 2 cups of crystal light and several ice cubes in a sports bottle.I just have to drink more than two a day. But at least I can't taste it.And the other thing I do not like even though I can't taste the protien my mouth fill like it's full of cotton.Rosie
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views