anyone get a bill yet?

sammyglo
on 8/19/04 4:28 pm - Hobart, IN
Today i got my statement from my insurance company. my surgery cost almost $35,000. WOW!!!!! i'm not sure what my end will be, but i thought it was going to be $0 prior to surger. who knows, but WOW...that is a lot of money...$35,000!!!!
Marcy B.
on 8/19/04 4:31 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
My statement was about the same, but with Blue Cross provider savings the bill was about 1/2. It made me wonder what others without BCBS do. In any case I consider myself to be very very lucky to have had some excellent insurance.
threegetts
on 8/19/04 11:32 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
My bill was about the same. $33,000 of which I paid $36.00, isn't that great? I'm so blessed to have an insurance company which understands the need for the surgery. I hope yours comes out as well too!! Cindy
Lalocaweta
on 8/20/04 1:10 am - Spicewood, TX
Just starting to get the statements in....I was told the $900.00 I paid before surgery should just about cover it all and that the total bill would be about $32,000.00... Will be itneresting to see. A
Shelly H C.
on 8/20/04 1:44 am - New Castle, DE
My explanation of benefits are coming in little by little. It seems as though the surgeon, the anesthesiologist (sp), the hospital all have seperate bills. To date I have only paid my copay $5. Your right I was blessed to have great insurance. ~Shelly
Monna W.
on 8/20/04 2:38 am - Susanville, CA
I had open RNY with a few complications, having to have a couple of blood transfusions and spend an extra day in ICU. My hospital bill for the surgery (not for the GI bleed I had a week later) without any of the physicians's bills was over $84,000. My share is only $11/day that I was in the hospital. Remember everyone, that the bills show the usual and customary charges not what any insurance company pays. Most insurance companies have contracts to pay at a severely discounted rate--probably all my insurance company will end up paying because of contracts is about $25,000. That shows how people with no insurance get screwed (excuse my bluntness). Worked in health care in management and administration way too long, I guess. Monna
Shelly H C.
on 8/20/04 4:20 am - New Castle, DE
You are so right Monna~ You would think hospitals and doctor's offices would give a break to the uninsured individuals. I think it is so unfair when you have an individual who works daily, but cannot afford insurance or perscriptions. Then you have someone who doesn't work and they don't have to worry about paying any bill when going to the hosptial/doctor/perscription (many individuals in my family fit in this no work category). Sorry you had complications and I hope you are feeling better. ~Shelly
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/04 11:48 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
My hospital stay was $25,000. My sugeon's fees were $7000. My assistant surgeon was almost $2000. The anesthesiologist was $1000. I think when all is said and done, I'll only have to pay about a grand. But I am also getting separate bills for labwork, the doctor's who came to visit me when they were on their rounds, the doctor's who made me use that spirometer thing, plus everything that I did for pre-op testing. Luckily, these bills have only been about $15. I'll be curious to see what I REALLY end up paying.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views