What is your current challenge

sradcli74
on 8/19/04 10:09 am
Hi Tweedy, This is a great post. I am 3 weeks post op and my biggest challenge like many people here is the eating and drinking. I constantly watch the clock so I can get my fluids in. I also drink first thing in the morning before I eat. Regular water hurts my stomach, unless its really cold, but the propel and fruit2O plus are really good and they go down well. I am doing particularly well, have not vomited, I had a bit of frothing and dry heaving the first time I took the prenatal vitamin, but I think that was my fault because I tried to drink my protein drink to fast. Otherwise I am thankful I am doing well. I was on pureed food until this past monday, when I graduated to soft foods, so far I have had salmon, chicken, carrots and broccoli, tomorrow I am having shrimp stirfry, can't wait! I am tolerating about 4oz of food per meal. Today I got in enough protein without having to take a protein drink. ShaunTeah RNY Proximal 7/28/04 297/262/150
TweedyBird
on 8/20/04 9:37 am - Somewhere, AR
Hey Lady, I have not seen you on BAF in a while! You sound like you are doing great! Congrats! Yes, I hope this eating and drinking thing gets easier! Water hurt my pouch too at first, now it seem to be better. And I can eat about 4 ozs as well. many blessings, Tweedy
Karen K.
on 8/19/04 4:39 pm - Central, CA
For me it's the not drinking with meals. I also watch the clock for the moment I can drink something! The other thing is the head hunger and cravings. I was a carb addict, breads in particular. I'd almost kill for a fat slice of San Francisco Sourdough with a pat of butter! Some people post that food no longer interests them....I am praying for that feeling.
Great_Sphinx
on 8/20/04 1:07 am - Medina, OH
My biggest challanges are eating way too fast and drinking enough water -vs- getting enough calories. Yesterday, my husband and I went to Taco Bell. I was REALLy hungry, so I ordered a taco supreme and a nachos supreme. I knew that I would only be able to eat a couple bites of the nachos, but I didn't think I would be stuiffed after the taco alone! I just sat there looking at the nachos knowing that if I ate them, I would be in pain for the following 1/2 hour. The fast eating usually happens when I am at the table with my kids. They are "very intense" childern and I tend to eat fast just so I can deal with them. There have been so many times that I finish a meal and after a few minutes, I am really in pain. I know it is because I am eating way too fast and that am probably getting in way too much for my pouch to handle. To get enough water, I have to drink all the time. I have a water bottle that I take with me when I ride my bike and when I do lawn work. I cannot imagine doing those two things without drinking. My problem comes in when I am thirsty, but I need to eat. I can either eat and wait 1/2 hour (while my mind constantly tells me how thirsty I am), or I can drink a little and be really hungry and get dizzy from lack of calories. I know I will get the hang of this soon, but in the mean time, I want to scream!!
Marcy B.
on 8/22/04 9:23 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Tweedy: I always love your insightful questions. This whole process is a challenge. Its one I readily approach, but every direction I turn in there is a new challenge. Old habits die hard, I guess. I too have done very well on 4-6 oz per meal without much problem. My snack today was 1 piece of string cheese 3/4 c yogurt and 10 fat free pringles. I know that seems like alot of food. But when I checked calories- for a snack- it was only 250. In any case its much better than the way I used to eat. My biggest challenges are trying to get all of the liquids in ( and I too, thanks to this website discovered Propel), the desire to drink with meals- making sure I have waited long enough before or after drinking with regard to meals. But I think the biggest issue for me is going to be how I deal with snacking. I have always loved "munchy crunchy carbohydrate junk"- and I don't think I have given that craving up. So I can see where crackers, fat free chips are going to be a problem. I will have to challenge myself to portion control. One last challenge for me and the one that I think is the biggest is to stop obsessing about what the scale says I know that everyone loses weight at a different rate, but it is difficult for me to stop comparing my loses to other peoples. So for right now the key is for me to have patience. Easier said than done... right? Since beginning this adventure nearly a year ago, I have lost 40lbs all totalled. But only 25 have been from the WLS. after 4 weeks out. Of course I would love to be able to report that I have lost 35 by now, but that is ijust wishful thinking. So, Tweedy my biggest challenge is PATIENCE. By the way you sound like half a doctor with all of the stuff you are quoting...excellent job on the all of the research!!
TweedyBird
on 8/23/04 2:26 pm - Somewhere, AR
Oh wow Marcy, I am right there with you, patience is most definitely a virtue, and I continue to strive towards it. I promise myself everyday I am not going to get on that scale, but I do. I promise I myself I am not going to try my skinny jeans on everyday, I know my stomach has not gone down enough to actually button and zip them. There is at least a 4 inch gap between where the jeans should meet and button and zip, but everyday there I am! Thanks for the support in regards to my endless babbling about different topics. Actually, research is the way I calm my nerves and it helps me to continue to keep a good perspective on this major decision that I (we) have made in regards to altering our bodies! Tweedy
marilyn P.
on 8/25/04 3:58 am - RACINE, WI
hello, tweedybird my BIGGEST challenge right now is trying to find a good PROTEIN drink i have tried so many and all i do is barf ,,barf, barf so now im trying to just get it from the foods i eat. until i can find a protein pill or a liquid that i can take a couple of teaspoons a couple times a day. but this my challenge. marilyn
TweedyBird
on 8/25/04 11:00 am - Somewhere, AR
Good luck Marilyn, I really like Isopure. I tried a lot of different ones too! GNC will let you return products once you open them, so I kept trying until I found one! Tweedy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views