What is your current challenge

TweedyBird
on 8/18/04 12:07 am - Somewhere, AR
I am 5 weeks out today! My question to you guys is what is your biggest challenge right now? For me: Cravings and wanting to drink while I eat! Wow, time just seems to be flying. Well yesterday was the day of cravings. I was tired of chicken. I thought I was going to turn into a chicken. Well I decided to order Indian food. Oh goodness, they have a spinach dish with cheese, ummmmmmm (I think it is high in fat, because of the cheese), however, I did not eat the large pieces of goat cheese that comes in it). I also ordered curry chicken. I tolerated both dishes. I did not do any rice or the wonderful Nun (sp?) bread. I felt like I ate like a pig (although I know I did not). I had 2ozs of chicken with curry sauce and 4ozs of the spinach and cheese dish. I was so satisfied. Now, like I said, yesterday was just a craving day. I wanted something gooey sweet. I decided on a no sugar, fat free Klondike bar. It did the trick. This was not what I wanted but it worked. Well today is a big exercise day for my added calories and fat! One other challenge, which has proven to be a major loss for me is drinking while I eat. Dang I really miss this! I started off waiting an hour between eating and drinking with meals. However, my manual that my surgeon's office gave me only states to wait 30 minutes. So I usually end up doing 45 minutes; sometimes only 30, but usually 45 minutes. All I can say is, thank god my surgeon is all about making the surgery and the modifications as non-invasive as possible. You know, he even allows diet cokes, but I just made the decision NEVER to do cokes again. I have read too much on the correlation between those who drink soda and have massive regain! Well I have managed to loose 3 lbs this week. I can live with that! Many blessings, Tweedy
Denise W.
on 8/18/04 12:31 am - MD
Tweedy...boy that Indian food sounds good....hmmm maybe I can get some from the takeout up the street. My biggest challenge is exercise. Before surgery I could barely stand up and wash dishes due to back pain, etc. Well, now I don't have the pain, but I am so out of shape due to being sedentary...goodness...I walked around the block during lunch yesterday and huffed and puffed...and I use the term walked loosely..it was more like a stroll. But I am determined to walk as much as I can everyday and build up some endurance. Congrats on your three lb loss! Denise
TweedyBird
on 8/18/04 1:42 am - Somewhere, AR
Hey Denise, Yes, the Indian food was soooooooo very good. As far as exercise, I totally can identify. I was fortunate enough to begin exercising 3 months before wls, but when I started my goodness I could barely go around the block and it was slow. Nonetheless, it helped with getting some presurgery weight off and man it got better. I huffed and puffed my way to now being able to do between 2 and 3 miles. So keep it up, we all have to start somewhere. Oh, and I actually hired a personal trainer (only two days per week). I am cheap....and I have to pay if I go or not....it is enough of a motivation to be there It is a little pricey, but less then what I was spending eating out for lunch everyday and at least out to dinner three days a week. many blessings, Tweedy
threegetts
on 8/18/04 12:32 am - Rio Rancho, NM
Hi Tweedy! I'm five weeks and two days out and am having some challenges too. My biggest is drinking water while I eat too. Pre-op I used to drink 2-3 glasses of water with each meal. I catch myself picking up the glass while I'm eating. Now I refuse to have the glass anywhere near me. My other challenge is exercising enough. I'm walking on the treadmill every day for 35-45 minutes, hopefully that is sufficient. Finding the time and motivation have been difficult for me. Thanks for sharing! It's great to see the solutions other people have to some of the same challenges I'm going through! Cindy
TweedyBird
on 8/18/04 1:49 am - Somewhere, AR
Hey Cindy, We are having to make the same modifications. I have to not have a glass at all on the table for me! But then I find myself watching the clock as soon as I take that last bite! So I will know exactly when I can start sipping Exercise is hard for me. You are sooooo right about the motivation. Well I ended up hiring a personal trainer (only twice a week). And since I am cheap, oh you better believe I show up!!! Although it is a little pricey, it is still cheaper than all of the eating out I use to do in a weeks time. I then do two additional days on my own sometimes only one. Hopefully I can discontinue his services after 6 months. I am praying that is enough time for this (exercise)to become a habit! Thanks for sharing, Tweedy
IrishIze
on 8/18/04 2:19 am - NJ
Gosh, my biggest challenge right now is getting foods in. I am so nauseous all the time and I don't even want to eat. I struggle to get in protein drinks - UGH! Then I struggle to get in some high protein foods - I haven't even tried chicken yet. I'm still trying to master cottage cheese and eggs! I wish this would get a little easier for me. I will have one good day and then 3-4 bad days. I can't wait until I feel better.... Hugs, Nancy
Irene S.
on 8/18/04 4:48 am - NJ
Nancy, did you check with your doctor about the nausea and the eating difficulties? Does your doctor have you on an acid reducer? What about an anti-nausea prescription? I had nausea in the hospital post op and my doctor gave me a prescription for medication to take when needed. It could be a simple problem of air getting trapped or it could be an ulceration or something else developing. irene
IrishIze
on 8/18/04 5:36 am - NJ
I spoke with my surgeon today. I am seeing my PCP tomorrow, and the surgeon said to first have a check to see if I have a UTI since I am experiencing abdominal discomfort and discharge. He said if the nausea continues to contact him and he will put me on an anti-nausea med. Jee****hought I was going to be getting off some of these pills and instead my kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy!! He told me to take Gas-X now and Tums as well. Thanks for the suggestions. Nancy
Irene S.
on 8/18/04 5:52 am - NJ
I'm glad you've got things under control. When I saw your post I got worried. I hope your feeling better soon. I know what you mean about the pharmacy! I ended up having to switch off my calcium capsules for a while. Since they float in liquid, I would swallow them and sometimes it would start that darn frothing! I have a friend that had surgery and went off her bp med right after surgery - no such luck for me - yet! Hang in there! irene
TweedyBird
on 8/18/04 5:05 am - Somewhere, AR
I am sorry to hear about your struggle with food right now. I am sure you are going to be one of the ones with a massive weight loss and no trouble maintaining. And me, I will struggle. I have no problems tolerating anything! Overall, I have done very well at making good food choices, but I can tolerate a few bites of anything. About a week ago I had two bites of key lime pie (very good, and satisfying). However, a few days ago I had (what I considered to be a good food choice (low fat/no sugar added peanut butter on reduced calorie gram crackers). I had three to be exact and dumped. I am sure the sugar from the peanut butter and the crackers made it into a concentrated sugar, and thus producing the dumping. Did you have proximal or distal procedure? And was it open or lap. Research reflects that patients who have the distal procedure absorb the least amount of food and dump very easily on just a small amount of sugar or fat. Also, it takes longer for a person who had the procedure open to really transition to eating food again. Blessings, Tweedy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views