Well that was certainly anticlimactic!

jcordell
on 8/16/04 3:05 pm - TX
OK, so as you all know, my Doc released me to full solids and "moderate" drinking one week ago today. For a week I've experimented with food, and all has gone well other than getting sick 3 times. Today, after a TERRIBLY long and difficult Monday, I decided I deserved an adult beverage. It had been 6 weeks, after all. So as I started up the grill to cook my 4 oz chicken breast, I poured a stiff, albeit small, vodka martini--one of my perennial favorites. OH MY GOD--it tasted like pure rubbing alcohol! I thought I was going to puke!! My drink was quickly disposed of down the drain and the glass cleaned and put out of sight. The mere thought of it gave me the dry heaves! Considering it has been six weeks since any alcohol has passed my lips, an Absolut straight up with an olive was probably a little too bold of choice. Needless to say, I was not able to unwind the way I'd hoped, but I can assure you it will be quite some time before I try THAT again! Hope everyone is well! It is so great to see the July babies as they start their new lives! Take care, my friends. Keep smiling and keep the faith! God Bless, -Jeff RNY 7/7/04 338/289/188
Dawn H.
on 8/16/04 3:12 pm - Jersey CIty, NJ
HI Jeff well My dr cleared me for moist and mushy foods today .. so I had a Meat ball... Did alot better with it than you did with the Vodka Next time maybe a rumand diet coke? Congrats on your weight loss you are doing GREAT Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/04 10:48 pm - Somewhere Else
Rum? Ack...Jeff was better off choosing the vodka, Rum is distilled from molasses that results when sugar cane is boiled down and it is far too sweet...which is unfortunate, since it's my drink of choice... Jeff...no worries, you're better off without the alcohol anyways. Since I've been with my BF (since Sept) I haven't had more than maybe 3 drinks...he doesn't drink, so I figure, why should I I also quit smoking in January because I not only wanted to, but he absolutely HATES smoking..lol Keep enjoying your chicken...think I may grill up a breast tonight too! Linda
C J.
on 8/16/04 3:36 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
WOW Jeff...You are doing great! Sorry about the drink not setting well, but I'm more jealous about the chicken breast!!! I'm still on shakes for another week then pureed for another 2 weeks afterwards. Here's an idea....all the money saved on food could go to a jacuzzi for relaxing after terrible Mondays!!! Have a much better Tuesday and the rest of the week, CJ 246/220.5/138
sammyglo
on 8/16/04 6:12 pm - Hobart, IN
Well, Jeff...that really bursts my bubble!!! I guess a good drink this weekend should be out of the question for me too. Rubbing alcohol, huh? oh well, i guess i'll have to wait a few more months before i try that one. take care and good luck on the losing side!!!!
Julie L.
on 8/17/04 2:49 am - mathews, AL
Try unsweetened cranberry juice & vodka next time and just sip verrrrry slowly. I tried that over the weekend and no problems. Other than the fact that the alcohol gets to you really quickly - one drink over a 2 hour period left me feeling pretty fuzzy.
IrishIze
on 8/16/04 11:15 pm - NJ
Perhaps starting out with a glass of wine might be the way to go if you're going to drink. That martini sounds awful!!! HUgs, Nancy
DEBI
on 8/16/04 11:41 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Too funny...........I am glad you took the plunge and reported back the horrible experience....I think I will hold off on any alcohol for a while...lol. And grilled chickennnnnnnnnnnnnnn.......i have 9 more days until i can add meat.....wahhhhhhhhhhhhh I am a 7/28/04 baby and I am loosing a pound a day so far. Hope you keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!
Lalocaweta
on 8/17/04 10:07 am - Spicewood, TX
Jeff - I had the same experience on Sunday...Rubbing alcohol describes it perfectly. (But- if you can get a vodka called Tito's in Las Vegas - you HAVE to try it. Made here in Austin and it is the best. I think it is better then Abolut!!!) So - I decided martini's were not the solution...I am going to try a cosmopolitian next time. (Granted - not a very manly drink....maybe a vodka sunrise???) Ok course - you are probably going to get emails/posts about how alcohol puts strain on your all ready stressed liver...I say that one drink every once in a while is not going to hurt my liver. I also decided if I try again - I am going to actually measure the alcohol (God knows never did that before) and just do like a half jigger. Good luck. Anne 260/228/150
MargaretD
on 8/19/04 4:21 am - Nashville, TN
wow. i haven't gone to hard liquor yet, but i heart martinis. i hope that i don't have the same experience. what about a vodka gimlet? of course, drink it really slowly!!! a couple of weeks ago i went to visit my parents and they wanted to toast my weight loss and successful surgery. so they brought out the champagne! I told them that i really couldn't drink anything but in order to be polite i had two sips. small sips! i could feel my cheeks taking on a heated rosy glow. since then i have been kind of afraid to drink anything. i will have to plan a night to have a drink at home or something in case i get sick or just wasted! i am having a hard time to know when to quit eating so i tend to get really full. i imagine i will have the same problem with alcohol!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views