Ouch...my pouch is a grouch!!

Marcy B.
on 8/15/04 7:19 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
I am 3 1/2 weeks out, and things have been picture perfect for me- until today- or should I say - yesterday since I have been up all night. I have no idea what I ate, or what I did differently, but obviously my pouch was not happy- and let me know all day long. And to think, just the other day I asked my husband if they had actually really done the surgery because I didn't notice any major difference. I wondered if I even had a pouch. Well...it showed me who was boss. Considering the stories I have heard, I guess I am OK- but I experienced such awful pain under the rib cage on the left side ( where the pouch is) that felt like someone was wedging a knife in me. I knew it was gas cuz I could feel it travel- travel it did, but is sure didn't really want to leave me. The pain was awful and the finally- I puked... something I had prided myself on that had not happened to me yet ( of course I knew I would not go unscathed...but I was proud of this accomplishment nonetheless). All I can say is hats off to those of you who have endured weeks of nausea- bloating, vomiting, etc. I am dealing with a "grouchy pouchy" for just a day and can't find a place for myself ( as evidenced by this 5:00 am message). I'm not sure how to deal with food tomorrow. Up til now I have been on pureed foods. But it was eggbeaters and soy cheese that made me sick yesterday ( though I did well with them on other days)- My stomach is rumbling for something now, but I am afraid to eat or drink anything for fear of upsetting it any further. I think I am going to go back to liquids for a day to see if my stomach settles. I don't want to get dehydrated. OK.... I have blithered enough for one message. I guess, misery loves company. ( Though I don't regret having this surgery for one minute!!) This messageboard has been a great source of inspiration and support for me. Just being able to compare notes with others who are experiencing similar stuff makes the journey easier.
Irene S.
on 8/15/04 9:12 pm - NJ
A hot drink really helped me with this. I find chicken broth works best. I used ginger tea when I got the same thing you describe and that helped too. irene
Gina F
on 8/15/04 11:43 pm - Belton, TX
Marcy, I've been having the same issue lately. I think for me it's taking one bite too many. Even when I measure, sometimes pouchie gets angry. I have started on soft foods and I think because they are more dense, I can't have as much. After a bout, iced tea seems to make my pouchie happy again. I would stick to liquids for a few hours after you have a problem and be really careful when you eat the next time not to overdo it. Hugz, Gina
IrishIze
on 8/16/04 2:24 am - NJ
Sorry you're feeling this way....I just can't get the hang of this eating / drinking stuff either. I've been having lots of problems with a grouchy pouchy too. I thought I had it figured out - the Actigall capsule was getting stuck - so I started putting it in some applesauce and eating it that way and yesterday it seemed to work out fine. Well, five minutes ago I decided to have some cottage cheese and the Actigall applesauce. Well, two bites into the cottage cheese (hadn't even touched the applesauce yet!) I felt it stopping in my upper chest and again, here I am running to throw up. The pain and pressure in my chest is so intense if I didn't know better I'd swear I was having a massive heart attack. I couldn't throw up, so I stuck my finger down my throat a couple of times - got up the white foamy stuff. At least the pressure is gone. Now I am afraid to eat or drink. I can't go on like this. I'm only getting in 300- 400 calories a day and I don't know if that's good. Yesterday I did great. The only thing I did differently was to drink half of a protein shake this morning - maybe that's what's getting me sick. I just don't know. I was going to call the doc today, but I felt so much better yesterday that I didn't call, and his office closes at noon. I'm definintely calling him tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon. I'm trying really hard not to get discouraged. Hugs, Nancy
Irene S.
on 8/16/04 3:50 am - NJ
I've been going through a grouchy pouch episode since I ate a couple of Buffalo wings. I was having trouble wtih everything I ate or drank after that. I think I'm over it today. I've found that if I haven't eaten beyond the "full point", then a hot beverage will help some. If I've overeaten, a drink will make it worse. I've used both chicken broth and ginger tea. I had to cut back on solids and go back to very soft things like yogurt, soups and cottage cheese. If I swallow a pill and it starts that gas thing, immediately having a hot drink will help it for me. irene
Rebecca T.
on 8/20/04 4:38 am - Central, NY
I take gas-x. It really helps - I have to buy more - I ran out!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views