Am I getting enough protein?

Karen B.
on 8/15/04 1:09 pm - Marshall, MN
Hi! I am 3 weeks out and just wondering if I am getting enough protein. I was never told I had to have a certain mg..just been eating 6 meals daily, 2 oz total-1oz consisting of protein. This is exactly what I have been doing, and not paying attention to mg or anything. I just read these posts of everyone drinking protein shakes, etc...and I have never had one!!! I am supposed to be introducing some different consistency foods now, and increasing my meal size gradually. Maybe I should start drinking the shakes or eating the protien bars? Karen
vhall99
on 8/15/04 11:35 pm - Conyers, GA
I had surgery on 7/7/04. My surgeon told me that I needed protein shakes beginning the first week. I started out with very small amounts and now he says I should be getting at least 70 to 80 grams in my diet a day in protien. I usually drink one protein shake a day at 23grams and I try to get the rest in the food I eat..I am trying to work up to 2 shakes a day. HOpe that helps valerie
DEBI
on 8/17/04 6:48 am - Indianapolis, IN
The program I picked comes with a life-time dietary counseling. They gave us a notebook with our "diet" for the first year and it covers what has to be eaten and why. You no longer have the ability to absorb proteins like you did before due the the fact that bypassing the first half of the small intestine bypasses the part where proteins are absorbed...so ya have to take in more. If you don't...your body will break down muscles to get the protein it needs to build amino acids etc,etc. Hence the major hair loss and fatigue in the 4-6th months. Anyhow, on our program....and most others per reading the journals...we are reuqired to take in 80-90 grams...not mg....of protein a day. For example.....milk has 1 gram of protein per ounce...so a 12 oz glass would give you 12 grams of protein....not much. An egg is 7 grams...etc etc. That is why you have to suplement with drinks or bars....keep sugars low when picking one ya like. If your surgeon offers dietary counseling or support groups....join in and take advantage of the resources...the people who have this surgery and suceed do so because of the support their surgeons offer afterwards. I chose my surgeon because in 3 years...none of his patients have gained their weight back and all have met their goal within 18 months of surgery. Pretty impressive.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views