Zantac, Protonix, etc....

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/04 2:43 am - Warner Robins, GA
I noticed several gals mention they were on Zantac, Protonix, etc. What exactly did your Surgeon prescribe them for? I used to have GERD real bad and started taking Prevacid. But I didn't think I would have to take it anymore with RNY. Well over the last few days I have been having some a mild burning sensation in my pouch and through my intestines it seems...like stomach acids. I took a Prevacid but wondering if I should request some Protonix. I am kinda scared that I may have an ulcer or something..but it's not in just isolated part. I go to the Dr on the 19th so hopefully I can get soem answeres then. Tonya
JulesC
on 8/15/04 4:59 am - Spring Hill, TN
My doctor prescribed Pepcid twice a day whether I feel like I need it or not. It is just to keep my pouch settled. Jules
IrishIze
on 8/15/04 5:30 am - NJ
My surgeon prescribed Protonix to eliminate stomach acid. I'm not sure how long I have to take it - I'll have to give him a call. With your history, I would definitely call and ask your surgeon about it. Nancy
Denise W.
on 8/15/04 6:42 am - MD
Tonya, My doctor puts all his patients on a proton pump inhibitor (Prevacid is mine) for six months after surgery to prevent ulcers during the healing process. I would definitely talk with your doctor if you have a history of GERD. Good luck! Denise
Irene S.
on 8/15/04 9:33 pm - NJ
My doctor hand sutures the stoma, and puts all his patients on Prevacid for a month to keep the acid levels down so the sutures don't dissolve too quickly. Depending on the pts history, he keeps some on Prevacid, sometimes for a while longer, and for some, it's for a lifetime. irene
Rebecca T.
on 8/20/04 4:39 am - Central, NY
My doc prescribes protonix as an anti-ulcer medication, I think that is like prevacid and the others.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views