Hungry

frances M.
on 8/12/04 6:46 am - DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL
I'm 5wks.postop,lap RNY.I was never hungry the first 4wks.But now it seems like I stay hungry all day.I am eating 2oz.meals 3x's aday.My Dr.has told me to advance to reg.diet 2wks.ago.I do better with soft moist foods,meats are too heavy.I drink at least 60 ozs.fluids aday.I lost 28lbs the first 3wks.I exercise daily,just started.I can't walk due to bad knees.Any suggestions with the hunger,I feel like its a mind thing.
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/04 8:40 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
There are times when I am hungry...when my stomach is "twingeing" (I guess it's to small to growl). There are times when I am suffering from head hunger. For me, neither happens very often. You could be feeling hungry because you are exercising. I have also just started exercising, and have noticed that I am physically hungry more (usually around mealtimes). However, I can eat as much as 4oz at a time and can eat meat without problems, so I stay full for a long time. To deal with the head hunger, I sometimes will get a SF hard candy, try to distract myself with something else, or get something to drink. I watch a lot of the Food Network, which I think has helped me realize that the healthy stuff out there can be so much more delicious than the crap I'm "hungry" for. I hope this helps a little...
odel D.
on 8/14/04 5:40 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
I know what you mean, I am starting to feel hungry all the time, but I do hate to eat and then go through the pains afterward! There is always such discomfort after eating. The bloating and gas is so painful and it takes me at least 2 hours before I feel normal again. And I don't find how I can put 64 oz of water in that stomach, I used to drink 100 oz a day and now I am lucky if I can stomach 40 oz a day. As for exercising, is it ok for us to exercise now? What type of exercises? I am so afraid that I will open up an incision if I start and exercise program. And walking is out of the question, my knees are gone from arthritis because of all the previous weight I carried. Any suggestions? Odel Dori
IrishIze
on 8/12/04 11:31 am - NJ
I bought some Low Sodium V-8 juice and when I feel hungry, I drink 4 oz of that. It really seems to satisfy me and takes the edge off. I think I'm going to go get some chicken thighs tomorrow and put them in the crock pot and let them coo****il they fall off the bone. Then I'm going to put 4 oz. in baggies and freeze them. I'm not much of a cook, so I sometimes feel like I'm nowhere near as creative as I will need to be to eat well. Guess I'll have to learn....
ML
on 8/12/04 10:26 pm - MD
You may actuallly be eating too little. My Dr and nutritionists advice was for us to eat 6 small meals of about 2 oz each every day, roughly every 2-3 hours. I am 4 weeks post op and am just begining to feel hungry every 2-3 hours. Eating 6 times works well for me- have lost 32 lbs in the 4 weeks.
Mea A.
on 8/16/04 2:44 pm - Western, MA
Hi Mlkl - Just had to stop in and say hi because we're surgery twins . I feel hungry a lot too. It helps me to get my water in. I have lost 31.5 lbs. Good Luck . Mea
PRECIOUS I.
on 8/13/04 12:02 am - PITTSBURGH, PA
I'm almost 5 weeks out and I'm not feeling hungry at all maybe once a day and i can't really eat to much, so i went out today to GNC and found this protein shake that have 25g of protein and it's 11oz( Myoplex) so two aday and one redbull(sugarfree) and try to get as much water as I can, but it seems I'll have to stay with the soup for now.
Stephie H.
on 8/13/04 2:13 am - minneapolis, MN
If it is not head hunger, I find that if I take a Zantac it stops all the rumbling.
DEBI
on 8/16/04 3:03 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi Frances, I am 20 days post-op and I feel like I am starving at times...then I remind myself...I am!!!!!!!!!! LOL....this is a controlled starvation and of course we are going to feel hungry. Your body is protesting the 250-400 calories a day you are giving it compared to the 3000-5000 calories we were taking in before. I have trouble eating in the morning....then I am very very hungry in the afternoon. I am trying to eat at regular intervals...but I forget to eat. If you are hungry....eat. Buy some watermelon and have at it...it counts as water intake. Open a can of chicken noodle soup and drink the broth...make an egg sunny side up and a piece of dry toast. Take a slice of deli turkey and microwave it with a piece of lowfat cheese on top for 45 seconds...these things are all low-fat and under the 3-4 ounces per meal you should be up to now. If you don't eat enough at your meals...you will not get "full" and you will end up grazing all day. And if ya get tired of all that drinking....the SF popsicles count as water intake also...and they satisfy that need to eat something. I am eating my lunch at work right now from the cafeteria. I have a spoon full of cottage cheese, a spoon full of pasta with cheese salad, half a cup of watermelon chunks and a teaspoon of tuna salad...all in a small container...it will take me 45 minutes to eat it...but then I will be full until tonite at dinner and it is satisfying...flavorful and it's what I was wanting. The cheeseburger and fries didnt even look good. Wish you well!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views