When Did You Begin to Exercise?

Kimberly K.
on 8/11/04 12:05 pm - mckeesport, pa
I am a month post op and when I had my follow-up on 07/29/04 the dr. said no exercise yet until she sees me again on 08/23/04. Could this be why I have reached a plateau and my energy level seems low? I am sleeping on average of 12 -14 hours a day and don't feel like doing much of anything besides some light housework.
jcordell
on 8/11/04 12:15 pm - TX
Hi Kimberly, I began walking immediately after my return home, and just tried to extend my walk a little more each day. I walk around my neighborhood, so a goal might be to walk two additional house lengths each day. I am now walking between 2-3 miles daily, which takes 40-60 minutes. As for weightlifting, I am going to wait until I lose 30 more pounds [not because Doc said, just so I'll look better at the gym ] Just make sure to follow your doctors' orders, and I'm sure everything will work out for the best! Take good care! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/290/188
siennagodiva
on 8/11/04 1:01 pm - BALTIMORE, MD
I started walking right away. I have increased to two miles in about 45 minutes to an hour. My energy levels are about the same as pre-surgery. Hope that helps.
IrishIze
on 8/11/04 1:01 pm - NJ
I began walking the first day I got home. At first, just around the house and increasing it until I was walking about 3/4 of a mile, 2x a day. On days when it is raining or too hot, I do my Walk Away the Pounds tape. I have been losing consistently - 28 lbs. in three weeks. I find the more I lay around the less energy I have. I think sometimes you have to push yourself, but of course, listen to what your doctor says. I don't think he'd probably be opposed to walking. Hugs, Nancy
Sally M.
on 8/11/04 2:51 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi Kimberly I began walking right away. I am lucky in that I have a treadmill and started using that the day after I returned home from hospital. I am only at walking pace but do approx 1.5 miles in 30 minutes. I also have 2lb weights that I use. This is all on doctor's orders and I had lap RNY - it may be different if you had open - but I am not sleeping more than I did before the surgery and my energy levels are about the same. Actually, they're better as I never used the treadmill before! Hope this helps Sally
melissab
on 8/11/04 8:58 pm - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I started walking as soon as I got home too. I don't think that "no exercise" includes walking. I am not allowed other exercise yet either, but walking is good I find it incredible, the combination of motivating factors postop! 2 weeks ago I would not even walk to the nearby store (a block and half away), I'd send my spouse instead. Now? I go to the gym every single morning by 8:30a.m. at the latest and walk 3 miles doing laps (I prefer to walk indoors, no stop signs to break up your steps, no distractions, I can keep track of how far I've walked etc). Some days I go back later in the day, before dinner, and walk another 1-2 miles. It just feels so good to be moving! I think it is a combination of knowing that it is actually going to HELP this time, as opposed to all the times I worked my butt off with no results. And the fact that all the water that came out of me has made less (or none left at all) inflamation in my joints and it isn't hurting me to walk. So, I say get yourself a really good pair of shoes (Please do this, it makes ALL the difference!) and just walk at whatever pace works for you. I know some people who are only able to walk 1/4mile a day for many months before building and even that 1/4 mile is so beneficial Melissa
alli E.
on 8/11/04 9:00 pm - CA
I have been walking a ton since discharge from hosptial and have started at the gym last week... Hope that helps! We go through plateaus all the time I hear and it is nothing to wory about!!!! I feel like you do too and I work out soooooooooo it is not just you!!!!!!!!!! Why won't or can't you work out till 8/23??? What did the doctor say was the reason??
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/04 12:47 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
At my one week checkup, I was told I could start to exercise. I didn't start exercising until after my four week checkup because I twisted my ankle. I walk for thirty minutes on a treadmill and occasionally lift weights if I feel like it. As for sleeping...I tend to sleep between 10 and 12 hours each night. I have sleep apnea, but broke my mask before surgery and can't adjust to my new one. I don't know if I'm just not getting rested or I'm just too lazy to get up. Once school starts, I'll have to be up by seven to get my daughter ready. Of course, then I'll probably just go to bed earlier!
Siouxsie Rodriguez
on 8/12/04 1:08 am - Temescal Valley, CA
Always check with your surgeon prior to starting to work out I began walking right after surgery and haven't stopped yet...LOL I have started water Aerobics at the gym this week. I will start working out with a personal trainer next week. My wonderful Doctor has OK'ed everything. I'm very excited about the personal trainer at the Gym. I will finally learn how to use those machines the right way ~Susan aka: Gr8ful4MyFamily in Sunny Southern California WLS 7.14.04 @ 268 lb. 40 Pounds gone forever!
kellyh26
on 8/12/04 1:25 am - White Bluff, TN
I had surgery 7/6/2004 and they released me go to curves for 8/18/2004.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views