Tums not good for calcium

alistra
on 8/11/04 9:38 am - Woodbridge, VA
Thank you Susan
Irene S.
on 8/11/04 10:04 am - NJ
The whole subject is misleading and not well understood. Basically, Calcium carbonate is not well absorbed enough for us. The calcium citrate is a better choice since the digestive system doesn't have to 'work' to break it down to be absorbed. One more VERY important thing: When you go to your periodic checks, your surgeon is checking your SERUM calcium - this is what is dissolved in your blood. The big problem is that the body will ROB calcium from your BONES if necessary to keep the levels up. By the time you show low serum calcium levels you may already have osteoporosis! The only way to truly know this is from a bone scan. I found the same calcium that is used in Vista Vitamins. It is calcium that is bonded to an amino acid, so that it doesn't need to be broken down at all, and it's less likely to bond to something that doesn't get absorbed. Its a Chelated Calcium made by Albion Labs. You can get it very reasonably priced at SwansonVitamins.com. irene
JulesC
on 8/11/04 10:06 am - Spring Hill, TN
My surgeon and his nutrionist say no to Tums. It is as has been stated. The calcium carbonate is not as readily absorbed as the Calcium citrate. Magnesium also helps calcium to be absorbed. I take a liquid supplement from Tropical Oasis that contains both Mg and Ca to be the most readily absorbed form. I was also told to split the 1200 mg dose into two a day, so that my body could fully absorb each one. Jules
Dj _.
on 8/11/04 10:18 am - Eden Prairie, MN
From an article I read on a calcium site, it is true that calcium CITRATE is easier on WLS patients, but that the difference is so small, and INCONCLUSIVE. It seems to me, that the majority of sites that I find, telling me that CITRATE or CHELATION is the way to go, are sites that are trying to sell me their vitamins. I trusted the doctor to do the surgery. I trust the nutritionists that work with him. They confirmed, that from their studies, there is no conclusive evidence to back up the statement that one is better digested than the other.
Lalocaweta
on 8/13/04 7:28 am - Spicewood, TX
My surgeon has his patients on Tum's Ultra for the first month (or 2) then we are to switch to calcium citrate. He says the Tum's are NOT the best calcium supplement, but during the first couple of months when your pouch is tender - they are easier to do then to swallow pills. I find it amazing that there are so many different approachs taken by surgeons...I put my life into my surgeon's hands and I trust him explicitly. So - I am going to continue to follow his directions.
Marcy B.
on 8/14/04 5:59 am - West Bloomfield, MI
For the long haul Tums is NOT the best choice but for those of us`with new pouches it is probably the easiest to digest at this point which is whysome Dr's prescribe it. But long range some form of calcium citrate is best. I can tolerate tums- but even presurgically I had trouble with any form of calcium citrate. I may try the chewable form made by Bariatric Advantage.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views