Tums not good for calcium

alistra
on 8/11/04 5:37 am - Woodbridge, VA
I have been reading that several of you are taken tums. This is not the kind of calcium that we need to take. It needs to be a calcium citrate and tums is a calcium carbanate. Please get some citrate or you could be having low calcium levels.
Debra O.
on 8/11/04 6:11 am - Chino, CA
I asked my surgeon this very question about the tums, and he told me that Tums have more calcium that calcium citrate. So im sticking with the tums. ~Debra
alistra
on 8/11/04 6:26 am - Woodbridge, VA
But are bodies can not absorb it did you talk to a nutritionist about it. I have read from a lot of people that they had major bone lose using tums. Please check with someone other than your dr. I have done a lot of reading from this board as well as talk to a nutritionist. I am only letting you know so that you do not run into more trouble down the line with bone loss. Ask on the main message board here. Susan
melissab
on 8/11/04 7:56 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
It isn't that we CAN't absorb the other calcium, we just don't absorb it as well. Tums is a viable alternative according to many surgeon's. There will always be some surgeon's who disagree. I believe that most surgeons test vitamin levels etc every 3 months, and I'm sure if a calcium deficiency is found that the Tums would be switched. My surgeon said Tums are perfectly fine and he is one of the better known RNY surgeon's in the US. So I'm sticking to 'em Melissa
alistra
on 8/11/04 9:17 am - Woodbridge, VA
Surgeons are just that the have not done a lot of study on nutrition. Mu surgeon told me the same thing the nutritish that he sent me to told me that he was wrong. I would make very sure that you know what your levels are as offen as possible. I am not trying to be mean or nasty just would hate to see anyone have bone problems. Susan
bugsmom
on 8/11/04 8:14 am - In Mom's House, CA
My surgeon also recommended Tums. His instructions are to chew 2 a day. At this point they sort of make me gag. I've heard lots of debate about different kinds of calcium and different sources. I guess we all just do the best we can and follow the instructions of our surgeons and/or nutritionists. Merritt
alistra
on 8/11/04 9:21 am - Woodbridge, VA
Thank is true we do the best we can but some times we need to be are own best information desk. I am sorry that you are having problems with the tums. I just want us all to be healthy. Susan
IrishIze
on 8/11/04 8:19 am - NJ
My surgeon initially started me out on Tums. I did some research and found that Calcium Citrate is much more readily absorbed by WLS people. I spoke with my surgeon and he agreed as did the nutritionist - off the Tums and onto the Calcium Citrate. Hugs, Nancy
alistra
on 8/11/04 9:24 am - Woodbridge, VA
Good for you. Susan
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/04 9:31 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Susan, if it's any consolation to you, I was also told that Tums contained the wrong type of calcium. It is made up of calcium CARBONATE, which we have an easier time absorbing. Calcium CITRATE is the one we have problems with, and Tums does NOT have to amount that we need. Both my surgeon AND my dietician told me this!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views