Calorie/Carb Intake~Dietician info

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/04 5:52 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I called my dietician today. We all know how critical protein is to our health, but I have seen MANY posts regarding calorie intake, and the number of carbs we should have as well. It's kind of getting confusing, don't you think? The fact that my scale moves so slowly made me decide to ask her. My dietician said there really isn't a calorie range for us early post-op, but she recommends not going over 1000. She said that our bodies shouldn't go into starvation mode until we are further out, because it is still adjusting. As far as calories go, we should get them from solid foods (when we are allowed) and limit high calorie drinks, except for the occasional glass of milk (or protein shake). As far as carbs go, she said that as long as we are eating a good source of protein, we don't have to count the carbs. She stressed that it is not a good idea to eat a plate of mashed potatoes only...that there MUST be protein in the meal. She also recommends using whole wheat bread instead of white, and there are low carb wheat breads out there if interested. Obviously, these are not the guidelines for EVERYONE, but I hope this information will help you make sense of some of what you read on the boards. Of course, it is best to check with your OWN dietician!
alli E.
on 8/9/04 6:55 am - CA
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
alli E.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
alli E.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting