Diet differences

Monna W.
on 8/8/04 6:14 am - Susanville, CA
Reading the posts really demonstrates each surgeon seems to have his own idea of the appropriate diet progression post-op. My surgeon is very strict--I am almost 5 weeks post-op and just progressed to pureed diet today. I have had no problems other that I did not like the clear liquid protein drink he had me on, and after 3 weeks of full liquid I feel I cannot look another soup in the face. Today I had a scrambled egg for breakfast along with 1 oz. of yogurt and 1 oz. of cream of wheat. The egg tasted like heaven. I am getting ready to have my lunch and I'll see how I do. I am to take 45 minutes to eat 3 oz. It is hard to make liquids and pureed foods last that long. I will be on pureed for 2 weeks, then mechanical soft for 2 weeks, then regular food. When I get bored or think I want something other than what I am supposed to be having, I have a drink of water, consider that I trust my doctor who has done over 1000 open RNY procedures and has had phenomenal success with his patients and the desire passes. I have just 4 more weeks and that is nothing in the scheme of things. I have lost 45 lbs., never been hungry, had no dumping, have not been nauseated, and I am happy with what is happening. Monna
C J.
on 8/8/04 7:00 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Monna, I agree with you 100%. I trust my surgeon to know what he is talking about. My doc requires 4 weeks of a specific protien shake then 2 weeks of soft, pureed foods and then introducing one new food at a time to see how well it is tolerated. I'm a little over two weeks out and have lost nearly 20 pounds with no n/v/d. I like the fact that he taste tests the shakes and picks the best tasting, most nutritious one he can find. I think that with the slower progression we are less likely to experience a lot of the problems that I read about. He also uses this as a time for us to make a mental transition in eating habits while allowing the new stomach to heal. CJ
Monna W.
on 8/9/04 5:51 am - Susanville, CA
CJ, I agree that this is a time to retrain our eating habits. I have been a speed eater for years and I am finally taking at least 30 minutes to eat a meal--my doctor wants me to take 45 minutes and I am working on that, but it is hard to make pureed foods last that long. I am also learning what is physical hunger and mental hunger. Also learning to recognize the full feeling--it is not like when I felt full before the surgery. This morning I had my first episode of almost nausea--I ate my breakfast too fast because it tasted so good. Boy, I won't do that again. Congrats on your loss--according to my scales I am down 48 lbs in just less than 6 weeks. I am thrilled. Monna
IrishIze
on 8/8/04 10:26 am - NJ
Monna, my surgeon is also very cautious. I was on clear liquids for two weeks, and I'm on pureed for another two, then I can begin to incorporate other foods, but carefully and one at a time. I trust him and have no problem following his direction, although the two weeks of clear liquid were pretty tough! I'm curious as to what 'mechanical' soft foods are? Hugs, Nancy
Monna W.
on 8/9/04 5:56 am - Susanville, CA
Nancy, Mechanical soft foods are cottage cheese, cheese, tuna, ground meat, baked potato without skin, bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, rice, baked fish. In general, foods that are easy to chew to a pureed consistency. Can even have some casseroles, high protein, of course. Monna
Marcy B.
on 8/8/04 12:10 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
My doctor is very cautious as well- 1st 2 weeks at home on liquids and now I am progressing to pureed foods. It makes sense to try them one at a time just like you would feed a new baby...to see how well it is tolerated. I am also very pleased that I have not had any d/ or v- and its nices to know that others have had similar experiences. Maybe our good fortune is because we are giving our stomachs and our minds a chance to get used to things. I view this as a brand new opportunity to re-establish a healthy relationship with food. To start all over again. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful chance to wipe the slate clean and start again, dontcha think?
Monna W.
on 8/9/04 6:01 am - Susanville, CA
Marcy, I totally agree we are blessed to have this opportunity to reshape our bodies and our lives. I have many medical problems not related to my weight that made the surgery especially dangerous, but at 59 years of age I felt if I had to live the rest of my life as a morbidly obese woman, I'd rather be dead. So I had the surgery and I have had complications--ruptured spleen during surgery, serious GI bleed 10 days post-op, and cellulitis just below my incision. I still feel I made the right decision and am looking forward to new energy and a healthy relationship with food. God has surely blessed me. Monna
Irene S.
on 8/8/04 11:44 pm - NJ
If people were asked to describe my surgeon some of the words that would come to mind would be, precise, thorough, careful, cautious. That's just for starters. He has patients on liquids until the first followup which used to take place at 10 days and is now at 1 week, because of scheduling differences with the new hospital. He believes his patients do best with skipping the pureed food stage by having them eat soft proteins initially, so that if someone forgets to chew it won't get stuck and cause the patient to end up in the ER being scoped to remove a blockage. But he wants his patient to learn to get their nutrition from food. Different protocols. But his patients, and I know MANY of them, do very well also. The most important thing IS to have trust in your surgeon and his/her experience and to follow their advice. BTW: No dumping, nausea or vomiting here!
JulesC
on 8/9/04 8:38 am - Spring Hill, TN
My surgeon requires 1 week clear liquids (protein drinks like ISO PURE). 2nd week is full liquids (protein shakes with FF milk and Egg Beaters). Week 3&4 are pureed foods. Then adding stuff slowly to see how it is tolerated. I am just finishing up week two and feel like I am starving to death. The first week I lost 13 lbs. Right now I have only lost 2.5 more while being hungry all the time so I am not too pleased with myself overall. I am following to a T what the diet says, and have eaten nothing that I am not supposed too (free foods are broth, SF jello and SF popsicles). I hope it gets better - this hunger is wearing me out!!! Discouraged, Jules
Irene S.
on 8/9/04 10:23 pm - NJ
Awww Jules, try not to get too discouraged. Before long this will be a thing of the past. In the meantime try to do the things you have control over. Water, following you dr's food plan, and walking. Sometimes we stall a little and then the body picks back up.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views