Chinese Food ?

IrishIze
on 8/8/04 2:37 am - NJ
Today is my dad's birthday. We are getting together and having Chinese food at my parent's house. I am still in pureed stage, so I was wondering if it's ok to have egg drop soup? I think it probably is, but I just thought I'd check and see. Hugs, Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/04 3:50 am - Somewhere Else
Honestly Nancy...anything is fine as long as you chew it well and take small bites. I've said it before...it's all trial and error to see what you can tolerate. I can't believe you're still on puree...you have great willpower and an evil doctor, lol. I'm glad I was able to eat normal foods at a week out. Only the past little while have I had any problems, and that's more just eating too fast than anyhing. I'd love some Chinese...maybe this week I'll treat myself Happy Birthday to your dad.... Linda
IrishIze
on 8/8/04 4:47 am - NJ
Linda, my doc admits to being ultra-cautious! He still only wants me to put no more than 4 oz an hour in my pouch. One more week on pureed and then I can start to incorporate real foods...I'm kind of excited about that!! Jus****ch with the Chinese - some sauces are full of sugar... I'd LOVE to have some steamed chicken and broccoli! Hugs, Nancy
Marcy B.
on 8/8/04 5:21 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Nancy- my doctor is cautious too. I am two and half weeks out and I have only been on pureed foods for a couple of days. I think I could probably eat more, but I don't want to take a chance. so far I have done well- no problem. Today I tried tuna w/ ff mayo- it seemed a little hard to digest and I had what I can only describe as a feeling of indigestion to then I stopped after about 1 ounce. This all is trial and error and individual for everyone I guess. Good luck with the Chinese. you are brave. I would be inclined to have a protein shake before I left the house and then just drink Boullion. I hate to puke...and especially would hate it if it happened in public...so no big chances for me!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/04 6:11 am - Somewhere Else
I bet you're excited....just take things slow and easy. Thankfully I may love Chinese food, but I have always avoided the sauces...too sweet for me... I made an amazing chicken breast last night...was the first time that I had a fairly decent amount of protein in one day too, 66g. Linda
Lalocaweta
on 8/8/04 7:50 am - Spicewood, TX
Nancy: I had Chinese Food the other day - couple bites of sesame chicken and some egg drop soup. I thought I was going to die!!! I am not sure why, but it was awful. I was throwing up for over 2 hours (and having to hide it from my mother as she is still stressing over this surgery!!!) I would say wonton soup might be a better choice....That is pretty much just broth w/ scallions... But each of us is different.... Good luck (and tell dad Happy Birthday!) Anne
Tanja Y
on 8/8/04 8:03 am - Wahiawa, HI
I had some egg drop soup 10 days post-op. We just kinda strained it a bit, so it was more broth then anything else. It tasted SO GOOD. ~Tanja
IrishIze
on 8/8/04 10:30 am - NJ
Well I had my egg drop soup and it was good, but I started to feel full after two ounces and stopped. I'll maybe have a bit more later on. Anne, maybe it was the 'sweet' in the sweet and sour chicken that made you ill. I have heard that a lot of Chinese food has loads of sugar in the sauces. Guess we all have to try things and see what we can and cannot tolerate. Thanks all for your suggestions! Nancy
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/8/04 11:03 am - Oxnard, CA
HI Nancy! I know I am chiming in late, but I had Egg Drop Soup last night and it was yummy. I'm like you, I had just a couple of ounces, but it did taste great!
Irene S.
on 8/8/04 9:28 pm - NJ
My doctor has patients on liquids the first week (including yogurt) and he has patients do a 'mechanical soft' diet the second week. That is anything that won't adversely affect the pouch if the pt forgets to chew. He lets us add textured protein food as we feel we can handle it. I had Hot & Sour soup from my local chinese takeout. Hot and Sour soup has tofu and very tender shreds of pork. The only thing that was a tiny bit of a no-no is the slivered bamboo shoots (I think that's what it was), and some mushrooms. I pulled the shoots and ate every thing else, being sure to chew very well. Yummy! irene
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views