What are you eating?

heather_y
on 8/6/04 8:30 am - Goldsboro, NC
My Dr. had me on clear liquids for the first 4 weeks. I have no approved list of foods...basically I am on my own. I asked him if I could have sf pudding, cottage cheese, and yogurt and he said yes, but offered no other alternatives for someone 4 weeks post op. What are all of you eating and how much of it are you eating ??? My surgery date is 7/12.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/04 9:05 am - Somewhere Else
My date was July 7...and I've been eating anything I want since pretty much week 2...only the past couple days have I had any problems...don't know why either, nothing new in my diet. Twice at least now when I eat I almost vomit..and today even without eating that happened...luckily I never actually did have anything come up, but ugh, what a feeling. Take it slow, it's all trial and error...and remember...small bites and chew chew chew!!!! Linda
Great_Sphinx
on 8/6/04 10:08 am - Medina, OH
My doc had me on liquids for the first 10 days... pureeds for the next 18 and now I am on soft foods. I can have pastas, cooked veggies, moist chicken and fish... baiscally anything soft. You can also have anything liquid or pureed... My favorite breakfast is creaam of rice with an egg beater and 1 oz cheese mixed in. Yummy! When you chew, make sure you chew until it is of pureed consistancy and make sure you are taking small bites. As far as amounts, eat until you feel full. You will KNOW when you are full. If you over eat it will hurt. For dinner tonight, I had 1/3 cup chicken Rice-A-Roni and 2 oz Turkey Breast. I am now waiting to have my drink. Also, make sure you do not eat foods with skins/membranes or large seeds. (Like raisins or oranges) I guess there is a greater chance of them getting stuck at this point in your recovery. I am assuming that we can eat them after 6 weeks.
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/04 10:55 am - TX
Does your doctors office have a nutritionist? My nutritonist is the one who gave me the list of things I can eat. I dont know if its diffrent for LapBands but I am a little over 2 weeks out and am allowed tender white meats,saltines (chewed to a paste),pureed veggies,eggs (scrambled),oatmeal,mashed potatoes, and creamy soups. Amber
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/04 11:07 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
At the four week mark, I am allowed to add most types of seafood (like tuna and crab), thinly sliced deli-style ham, turkey, and chicken, low-fat cheese, and beans (refried, split-pea, lentils, etc.) At the five week mark, I can add soft-cooked vegetables (carrots and greenbeans), cereals (with less than 3g of sugar), and toasted bread (no nuts). By eight weeks out, I will be able to eat anything I can tolerate with the exception of beef and pork (although I admit to eating lean ground hamburger), which I will get at six months. I think it's mostly the steak-type things that are to be avoided. Also, I think grapes and other seeded foods and nuts don't come in until the sixth month. I have a lifelong ban on popcorn and coconut. Anyway...I hope this helps. It is best to check with your surgeon or nutritionist and BEAT it out of them what their protocol is, but I thought I'd share some of my guidelines to give you an idea of what to expect.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/6/04 12:02 pm - Oxnard, CA
Mine is the same as Pam's except the Popcorn. My lifetime ban is carbonated beverages and coconut.
heather_y
on 8/6/04 11:36 pm - Goldsboro, NC
Thank you all sooooo much for your input !!!! I think I am gonna go this on my own....my Dr. is of no help, he has no nurse or nutritionist. I guess it'll just be trial and error from here on out !
Tanja Y
on 8/7/04 7:23 am - Wahiawa, HI
I'm just a little over 2 weeks out and so far I've tried cream of wheat, eggs, cottage cheese, mashed pots, taco bell's pinto's & cheese, string cheese, chicken soup and the usual puddings, jello's and broths. Today I went crazy and ate 3 kernals of popcorn making sure to pick the hulls off. My doc approved of all the food I've eaten........except the popcorn. ~Tanja
cosette
on 8/7/04 9:00 am - Tujunga, CA
My doc has been pretty thorough. He even has a Web site. Check out his list of foods: http://www.transmed.tv/bariatricsurg/nutrition.htm
heather_y
on 8/7/04 9:44 am - Goldsboro, NC
awesome site !!! Thanks so much !
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits