Diarrhea

Bonnie M.
on 8/4/04 9:54 am - London, Canada
I had a gastric band done July 28 by laproscope and was discharged the following day. My first 2 weeks is to be clear fluids only. I've stuck with that and found some clear protein drinks as well (not easy in Canada) other protein drinks are all over it's the clear that's hard to find. I drink one of those a day as part of my liquid intake plus broth, juice, jello and water. The diet instructions tell you to sip fluid. I'm able to do it except for water. I know i drink it faster than sipping because I've always been a nut for water. I have had to use small amount of applesauce to get the crushed pills down. I have MS so am on a far amount of meds. The past 2 days I have been having really watery diarrhea without a lot of notice. I had done a bowel routine before surgery so my bowel is really pretty empty. I wonder if the watery explosions are because I'm drinking water too fast so it's going right through my bowel rather than being absorbed and processed through through the kidneys. Thing is it happens like 8-12 hrs afterward. Has anyone had a similar experience and can help me? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and yes I'm trying really hard to sip the water. Other than this I feel great. Haven't taken any pain meds since Aug 1. I've been out walking and visiting anything to keep me moving. Bonnie Maas
Irene S.
on 8/4/04 11:36 am - NJ
Bonnie, can't help with the diarrhea since I haven't had it. I would urge you to contact your surgeon. There are a LOT of things that cause the diarrhea and only he or she can help you with this. I've had the problem of sleepy bowels and constipation, which my primary care doc urged me to speak to my surgeon about. Seems the bowels can get a little sleepy and require medicine to wake up. irene
Bonnie M.
on 8/5/04 2:51 am - London, Canada
Problem solved. Took Irene's advice and called the surgeon. Normal on clear fluids will settle down on ull fluids and should be back to normal very soon. Full fluids start next week -
JulesC
on 8/5/04 8:29 am - Spring Hill, TN
Glad you posted, as I just started full liquids and was wondering if the diarrhea would stop or get better. Thanks for the information!! Jules
melissaross75
on 8/6/04 5:37 am - Cottage Grove, MN
I had tha****ery stuff for a little under a week after I left the hospital. They wanted to me to have a BM before I left so they gave me something in my IV to produce it. I went and went and went. I think it was all the IV fluids they gave me that I was getting rid of. They said it was normal and were not concerned at my 1 week check up. You could call your doctor to find out more. Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views