Can't eat!!

samyrna
on 8/8/04 2:22 am - Sanford, MI
Oh, Girls, I'm so thankful for these postings, I feel the same way My surgery was July13th, I had no Idea that others was having the same problem as me, I really try very hard, but only get 1/2 of what i'm supposed it have. I have lost around 32lbs so far. I just want to be able to feel better and have some energy. I did have pneumonia after surgery, and thought that was why i was like this, I'm sure we will all get through this, Lets hope it is soon, (smile) Myrna in MI
Cathy C.
on 8/13/04 1:16 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi Mary, If you can't manage to get in your protein requirements here is some information that should scare you into eating even if you don't feel like it. Because of the surgery you are in starvation mode. When your body is denied suffecient protein at this time it will find protein inside you and consume it. The biggest source of protein is muscle. Your heart is a muscle. The process is called catabolization. It is the body's incredible ability to try to survive famine and that's what is going on now. You need to eat protein, I'm told to eat at least 60 gms / day by my surgeon. If you don't eat protein you will be in very serious trouble. If increase your water sometimes that helps with the body's ability to digest protein. You are fighting for your life so don't blow it. Now, a word about the "hunger" feeling. I knew about the much desired side effect of this surgery which is that most patients lose the "Ghrelin" hormone that is in the stomach. Ghrelin is the hunger hormone. Google it up for more information. You also make Ghrelin in the brain but there's no safe way to remove it! By removing the Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, you have the ability to keep from craving food as you did before surgery. When I went into this I told my doctor I wanted the "Ghrelinectomy". I'm grateful for this part of the process that takes away that hunger that was the downfall of all my dieting at some point. Learn to use it as a friend, not an enemy. The first 6 months will be your opportunity to use your tool, your small pouch and lack of hunger, to the maximum advantage. Please don't wait for hunger to return before you start eating. You may harm yourself. If you seriously can't eat please contact your doctor because he may need to resort to hospitilization to save your life. So, Mary, please eat, just little steps at first. A tiny spoonfull of pureed baby food meats, less than one ounce an hour if needsbe. Just do it. Think of it as medicine, because at this point it is life saving medicine. Try it tomorrow and let us know how you are doing after a day. Try setting a minute/hour timer to remind you that you should do it regularly, when ever the bell goes off, every 60 minutes or whatever you decide. My thoughts will be with you. Cathy open RNY 7/26/04
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views