Can't eat!!

magestyayla
on 8/4/04 8:43 am - Metairie, LA
Hi guys, My surgery was on July 20th. Already today, it is 5:45pm and I have not eaten a thing. I just can't stand the thought of food. I am weak all of the time. Whenever I walk, I get really winded and my chest hurts. I have had tons of tests done to make sure I don't have a blood clot. I don't, and the doc thinks it is because I am not getting enough nutrition. I just don't know what to do. I basically am just sitting around all day. I watch the food network and I want the food, I am just not hungry and can't make myself eat. I am so struggling. I did not think It would be this hard. Mary
Bonnie M.
on 8/4/04 9:36 am - London, Canada
Hi Mary I had a band done so I can't relate to your bypass as far as pain etc. I do know that if you don't get nutrition into you you're going to get weaker. What about high protein drinks? They have clear and full fluid types that have 45 - 55 gm protein. Your body needs protein to function and you have to remember muscle can be affected from lack of protein. Your heart is a muscle and obviously you need it to work well or you're going to be feeling even more tired. If your chest really hurts when you walk maybe it needs additional support for the incision like a weight lifters belt when you're walking. Maybe if you're more comfortable you won't get winded as quickly. I know that's a lot of maybes but just some things to think about. If you do the weight lifters belt thing only wear it during activity or your muscles will get weak. As far as watching the food network - that seems like major self punishment. I actually blocked it so that it doesn't even show up under parental controls. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers kiddo
Jeanette S.
on 8/4/04 9:50 am - Albany, NY
Hi Mary I had surgery on July 26th. I know how it feels not to be hungry I'm still not. But I had to be forced to sip broth, eat sugar free ice pops and fudgecicles, Jell-o and drink water, crystal light, protein shakes and decaf coffee. I kept thinking if dont get all the nutrients in I will have all my hair fall out. Needless to say I do not get hungry so it is hard to remember to eat but I do. I have a loving husband *****minds me. Please keep in mind that the pain is from lack of movement. I walk with my husband even if it means going walking in the mall or in the supermarket. WE have gone to the supermarket and I have gotten so winded I had to sit in the car for 10 minutes and wait for him to finish, each day I push myself and my walks get longer. Keep faith.... Jeanette
bugsmom
on 8/5/04 2:15 am - In Mom's House, CA
I can totally relate! As the days pass since my surgery (7/14) I find myself less and less interested in food and less able to force myself to eat anything. I blame it partly on the limited menu choices. I'm just sick sick sick to death of eggs and tuna fish and yogurt. I can't even stand the taste and texture of my protein drink anymore. I'm able to stand 100% grape juice mixed with water. I force myself to eat some chicken. It's all just gross to me. Plus I'm not actually hungry. This is a hard adjustment but I trust that if we just keep trying and give it time it will get better - I hope! A lot of the time I feel really bloated, which I assume is gas. Sometimes I feel light headed and a little sick to my stomache, low energy, tired. I know it's because I haven't yet figured out how to eat and what to eat and how to get in my protein. I also watch the food network and think about how lovely it would be to cook and eat some of their creations. Some days I kick myself because before I had the surgery I just took food for granted. I think how stupid I was not to appreciate the simple act of being able to eat things that tasted good. And I wonder if I'll ever enjoy food again. Hang in there. Merritt
Dj _.
on 8/5/04 2:16 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Mary, you poor thing...but listen, you need to eat, or drink...your body is healing and needs nutrition. Can you drink broth? Does your doctor know you're not eating? Please let him know, maybe he can help. Take care Mary. Deb
alli E.
on 8/5/04 9:59 am - CA
Try to force yourself- It is for the best! Have a popsicle or some frui****ermelon is great or some crackers! Just try!!!!!!!!!
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 8/5/04 10:58 am - MD
I know its hard but you are going to end in the hospital if you dont eat something......like alice said JUST TRY ..like broth or liquids protien something...i wish you the best
Great_Sphinx
on 8/5/04 1:39 pm - Medina, OH
Mary... everyone is right. It can be so hard to eat after this surgery. I am also less interested in food as the days go on. Nothing looks good. If it is really hard for you to eat right now, I will suggest that you try a protein shake recipe that I came up with a few weeks ago. It was very helpful for me to drink this when I did not feel like eating anything. It provides 39g protein and 490 calories a shake. Two of these a day will give you all your protein needs for the day and almost all of your calorie needs. Anyhoo, here is the recipe for one shake (which you can premake and drink throughout the day): 1 Boost High Protein Drink 1 scoop whey protein powder 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup sugar free ice cream (I use bryers... chocolate) If this makes you nausious, just don't use the icecream and use 1 cup water instead.
Teresa K.
on 8/6/04 2:21 am - N. Canton, OH
Hi Mary, I am only one week post-op and can TOTALLY RELATE TO NOT WANTING TO EAT! But you MUST. I had the worst gas too. If that is a bother get some GAS-X and chew one to two after each meal. But you have to FORCE yourself to eat. My program, Cleveland Center for BAriatric Surgery advised sipping something EVERY 3 MINUTES. That is a good rule to follow. Slim Fast 2g low carb protein drink is a nice tasting drink. Put about 3 oz in a glass with ice cubes and a straw. Would take me about an hour to get it down but that is ok. Drink your cream soups. If need to water then down. You constantly need to be drinking something. Hope this helps! Teresa
MarinaS
on 8/7/04 12:41 pm - Small Town, WA
I understand and am in the same boat as you. I am not hungry at all and not thristy. I am forcing myself to try to get in some protein and liquid, but cannot get enough of either. I too am weak. I tried a boiled egg one day and could not eat another thing for the whole day. I only hope that as we get further out things will improve.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views