Not enough calories!!

Dawn is D.
on 8/3/04 10:08 am - Dayton, NJ
As hard as I am trying, I just cannot get enough calories in. I eat between 500-700 and I want to take more in but just can't! I either feel really full after a few bites and have an upset stomach or I am not hungry. I am 4 weeks post-op. Any suggestions?
IrishIze
on 8/3/04 11:23 am - NJ
I'm only getting in about 275 - 300 calories per day!!! I'm so tired all the time - it has to be from not getting the right nutrition. My stomach is handling the food well, but trying to balance the water and the food - I'm going nuts!! Today I've had 278 calories, 41g protein, and about 36 oz of liquids. I see my surgeon for my first check-up and staple removal tomorrow, so I have a slew of questions for him!! Hugs, Nancy
Rebecca T.
on 8/3/04 11:26 am - Central, NY
How are you getting in that much protein? I can't get in 30...let alone 41!!!!!
IrishIze
on 8/3/04 11:56 am - NJ
Once a day I drink 4 oz of skim milk (4g protein) with one scoop of Isopure 0 carb powder (25g protein). Other than that I have been eating some baby food meats (8g protein for 2.5 oz) - it's not too bad if you add a little garlic powder and salt . I also eat ricotta cheese. Without the protein drink I'd be sunk protein-wise. Nancy
JustHat
on 8/4/04 4:32 am - NM
I am averaging about 500 cal a day and 60 g of protein. Most of that comes from two scopes of protein powder that I work in through out the day. Yesterday I woke up really tired. So, I mixed the protein in 4 oz of Slim Fast so I could get some carbs in too. It seemed to help. If not for the protein powder, I wouldn't be any where close to the needed protein in a day.
emmalousmom
on 8/7/04 12:30 pm - Wawa, Canada
What type of protein drinks are you drinking?? if you have optimum nutrition protein drink with one cup of milk it is around 35gm, yesterday I had that plus cottage cheese, and tuna and special K carb control cereal and milk and pork rinds, I'm only able to eat a few tablespoons at a meal, but for breakfast and the cereal, i let it get mushy and eat it for breakfast and morning snack, it is almost14gm of protein right there, and porkrinds are very light and for nine peices have 9grm of protein just some suggestions, I put the protein first and am still working on the fluid intake. Louise
melissab
on 8/3/04 11:37 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I am 6 days out. No clue how much fluid I got in, nowhere near what they want, but not bad either, I won't get dehydrated. I'm still drinking, but it's hard at night, I'm full. I had only 342 calories and 34 protien grams today. I decided that in another hour I will have an extra carnation instant breakfast with lactaid milk and add in a bunch of skim milk powder for added protein and calories. That should bring me up close to my protein grams, gives me some more of my liquids that I need, and brings my calories up a bit more, closer to 500plus calories. That's the only thing I can suggest. Everythign agrees with me but I get so full. I also suggest walking OFTEN throughout the day. It seems to help everything settle and get out of you quicker and helps you get more room for fluids and stuff. Good luck, hope others have suggestions, I could use some more too. Melissa Let's just remember, we are so new at this and our stomaches are still swollen. We'll get it right
KooKooKeri
on 8/3/04 4:38 pm - Reseda, CA
500 calories is about right for 4weeks out! are u tracking ur food on fitday.com? it's a great place just to make sure you're getting it all i freak out when i hit 500 calories - it makes me feel like im eating too much! lol. go figure. as for being tired, they say that it's not just the low cal doing it - it's the after effects of the anesthesia. good luck, ~k
wendycrosby
on 8/5/04 8:00 am - Walterboro, SC
I am glad that i am the only one that feels that way. I had my surgery July 13 and i feel that i am not getting enough protein i feel full, and not hungry. Somethings I eat are good but, alittle while later my stomach starts feeling bad.I hope you luck
emmalousmom
on 8/7/04 12:26 pm - Wawa, Canada
Dawn, my doctor says in the booklet i have to aim between 600-800cal per day and 70gram of protien. Louise
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views