What Was I Thinking??

Tracey L.
on 8/2/04 6:34 am - Concord, CA
Lap RNY 7/26/04 - Gained 14 lbs of fluid in the hosp. all to my belly, very uncomfy. Can only eat about a teaspoon of yogurt/pudding. I'm mostly living on liquid protein supplement. No energy, barely even moving around, mostly to the bathroom for the fluid coming off and horrible flu diarreha. Right now I question why I put myself thru this. I didn't expect this much of a challenge post op. YUK Tracey Love Lap RNY 7/26/04 San Francisco
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/04 6:40 am - Somewhere Else
Tracey...I'm sorry things have been so rough for you, but I'm sure they'll get better. Keep your electrolytes up if you have diarhea...you don't want to get dehydrated...gatorade, powerade and children's pedialyte (if it's available there...you must have something similar) are the best to help. Get in as much fluid as you can, especially those listed because they help to replenish electrolytes.... Hope you feel better soon...as for the fluid weight you gained in the hospital, I wouldn't worry about it...it'll vanish before you know it...heck I went and gained 30 pounds pre-op just cause I went on a 2 month binge..plus had lost my job so was lazy and depressed...but now...I'm great and the weight is taking off you'll soon be doing the same! Good luck...and again..I do hope you feel better soon. Linda
Tracey L.
on 8/2/04 11:20 am - Concord, CA
Thank you for the encouragement and reminders about being dehydrated. I've been trying to get in a cup an hour. It's hard though, I feel full all the time. Today I had my first "food", three tsp's of cottage cheese. Wow was I full. I'm taking my time w/ the eral food. I think I do need to push myself on exercise...I've never liked it.
Marj G.
on 8/2/04 6:49 am - Plymouth, MA
I am so sorry you feel so bad. I had my surgery 7/28 and although it was more difficult that expected due to adhesions and organ relocation, I came through alright. I am back at work today - 5 days post op and have some energy. I can not eat more than a bite or two but I keep trying. I have had no trouble with fluid or diarreha (luckily) Keep your chin up - just think, as soon as the post op period is over, you will be starting on a road to a new you. Do not lose faith, you did the right thing. keep us all posted marj
IrishIze
on 8/2/04 7:16 am - NJ
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! I had some complications in the hospital - racing heart, high BP and a fever, but am fine now. I think the more you lay around the less energy you have. I would force myself to get up and get some exercise. It is also helpful in preventing clots and pneumonia. The first week or so I marched (well, sort of a mini march) in front of the TV for 5 minutes at a time just to keep moving. I did it 3 or 4 times a day. Now I go for a walk at least 2x per day. I really think maybe you need to push yourself. As far as the diarreha, please call your surgeon - it's not supposed to be like that. Hope you feel better soon! Hugs, Nancy
Tina I.
on 8/2/04 10:12 am - Minot AFB, ND
Tracey, I know what you are feeling. I had open rny on 7/6 and this is the first week I have been able to walk more then just around the block. I had an infection at one week out that they had to reopen me and put in a drain tube. After last week when they took out the tube and removed all the staples, the top of my incision opened. So I am now left with two huge holes in my belly....and diarreha to boot. I was at the mall today with hubby and I saw everyone eating all the crap and I got really depressed. But I thought of the 40 pounds I have lost so far and know that this was my only choice. I had 1/2 an egg for dinner and now I am eating two crackers with peanut butter and I am feeling much better. You will feel better too. Also, when I came home from the hospital and got on the scale, it said I had gained 10 pounds. I was so upset until I went for my first check up and had really lost 25. Keep your chin up!! Tina
Joy P.
on 8/2/04 1:19 pm - Thorndale, TX
I'm only 5 days post op myself but found out the hard way we are supposed to be on only liquids the first 2 to 4 weeks. Last night I thought I could chew up a 2inch x 3 inch piece of watermelon without a problem. Three hours later the nausea began. Apparently the fibers are not passing through the new swollen opening causing anything I drink to come back up. Many protein drinks are too rich causing the dumping syndrome. That is dirrhea and cramps I understand. I think you should back off them, drink Propel and eat thinned tomato soup and thinned blended soups to see if they are causing your problem. Lay off the yogart and pudding FOR SURE! Good luck! Joy Peel
MargaretD
on 8/3/04 3:53 am - Nashville, TN
I totally agree about eating the pudding and yogurt. I was drinking water or crystal light and drinking Isopure Zero Carb protein drinks the first week out of surgery and having a really hard time getting in all the protein I needed. I would occasionally eat jello, but I would keep it in my mouth till it was basically liquid. I am now on stage two diet where I drink the premaid protein "shakes" four times a day. I barely have time to work in any thing else exciting like a SF popsicle (which is great for the "chewing" and "crunchy" feelings. I don't get to move to stage three until this thursday where I can eat cottage cheese and other mushy foods. I am excited, but worried about getting it in and keeping it in. Also, you should definitely call your surgeon about the unusual BMs. My doc told me that if it got worse or did not stop when I started the protein shakes that he would give me an antibiotic. Of course, I don't have the problem any more now that I am on the protein shakes. Protein and excercise, no matter how small, will boost your energy!! Although, every time I would take my dog out for a walk I would have to lie down afterwards to rest up a little. I was taking one to two naps a day the first week after surgery! I am back at work now and wish that I could still take my naps!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/04 12:06 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I had about two or three days where I kept wondering "What have I done to myself?" For the most part, though, I have been very happy with my surgery. I can watch the Food Network (all the time!) without having head hunger because physically, I never feel hungry. It's great! The diarrhea should end soon, especially when you start to add high protein foods like cottage cheese. My nutritionist said that diarrhea is normal for some people to begin with...she wasn't concerned when I had it. Also, it may help if you take Maalox or something, since it sounds like you are still having gas pains. I hope you feel better soon!
prplgirl
on 8/3/04 6:00 am - Elk Grove Vlg, IL
Where did you get the liquid protein from? I would love to use this since I still do not get in enough Protein in a day. Tricia Open RNY 5/12/04 -54 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views