Weird feelings....11 days out

Marcy B.
on 8/1/04 10:14 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Hi guys. I am 11 days out since lap RNY. All went well and I think I am doing fine, but I wonder if any of you are having some similar feelings. It feels like since there is less air distending my stomach that the lap incisions have moved to different places- especially the pesky one under the right side where they inserted everything but the kitchen sink. It makes it hard to sit, and hard to move. Also the area underneath the incision( the strips are off already) feels kind of hard and rubbery- I wonder if that is keloid scarring or something. I am also noticing a whole lot more aches and pains in the trunk of my body- like my rib cage is sore. I also had an umbilical hernia repair which I didn't feel before, but I am beginning to feel today.- and I know the Dr had to wade through alot of scar tissue from a previous gallbladder surgery which is probably why I am still in some discomfort. I am not dying a thousand deaths here but I definitely still need the pain meds. How many people are still taking their pain meds? Anyone experiencing the same kind of stuff I am ? Some times I am very very full and don't want to eat anything, and it takes me an hour to drink ( on straight liquids) 1/2 c of anything. Other times I can drink it in less than a 1/2 hr and be looking for more. Also, can't go through the night without eating something with protein. Dr says it is my bloodsugar dipping down and that I should have meals every 2 1/2hr to 3 hrs. Between those meals, and dealing with liquids it feels like I am never done! This is all such a new learning experience getting in touch with our new appetites. Looking forward to hearing from everyone. Marcy
IrishIze
on 8/1/04 11:31 am - NJ
I'm still taking two pain pills a day. When I get up in the morning I hurt. I also take one toward the end of the day to help me sleep. I am achy during the day too. Now that I'm 50, I'm find I'm not bouncing back as quickly as I used to.... Hugs, Nancy
insureone
on 8/1/04 12:50 pm - Marion, AL
Marcy, I never took pain meds, i've been sore but doing well. I still get tired, at first, I was upset because I was eating more than what I was told I could eat, but now that has gotten a lot better. I can't seem to get the water in, it is so hard. I agree with you, this is defineately a new learning experience.
Dawn H.
on 8/1/04 7:15 pm - Jersey CIty, NJ
HI Im 5 days out.. I still take the pain meds 2 times a day Morning and night. I had adhesions also from previous abd surgery so it added 30 mins onto my surgery .. My majoy problem now as I type is.. I cant sleep.. maybe 30 to 60 mins at a clip then IM up .. I dont know why Ill ask Dr when I go for my check up friday .. taking liquids in just fine.. regualr water doesnt sit well but propel goes down easy .. Im up to 42 oz a day clear liquids .. no protien yet maybe thats why I cant sleep? but I dont feel hungry .. I have cravings though.. :::From too many tv commercials im sure::: well thats it for me .. Dawn PS> it may seem like im unhappy but I LOVE that the surgery is done and I am on my way.. now if I could only .....
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/1/04 10:48 pm - Oxnard, CA
Marcy: I was on pain meds for about two days after surgery. I think the sorness in your ribcage is just from the instruments in the surgery. I seem to be able to tolerate everything so far. Water is my favorite, I dont like the sweetness of the gatorade, or propel. The diluted apple juice gave me awful gas so I dont drink so much of that. Any concerns you have hun, just call the doc. Thats what we pay them for.
shawn W.
on 8/1/04 11:42 pm - shakopee, MN
Hi, I'm 13 days out. I can't believe it. Seems like just a week ago. For as pain and pain meds. I take some maybe 1/2 dose a day. For the most part though, I take extra strength liquid tylenol or grin and bear it. I'm not big on taking a lot of meds. I do it when I really need it to help. Plus I take Bp and anti-drepessants meds. that enough for me. I fill pretty good . I still have upper tummy pain and some side/rib pain. I too had a haitus hernia. I'm not sure if they did any repairing of it or not. I know just that that is where I have my most discomfort. A lot otimes it is hard to get comfortable but, then again I also have what they call fibromyalgia/ myo-fascia pain syndrome. So if you have and idea of what that is it makes my comfort zone more a challenge to achieve. From reading, what we are going through is par for the course. If I find out otherwise or you, let's let each other know. Just try to to keep yourself distracted as much as possible. I pray and meditate on GOD'S WORD!! What ever helps. Sometimes I feel like I not going to or want to get through another day. But, I know if just hang in there everythings going to be alright. No one said it wouldn't be trying more times then not. So, be BLESSED!!! and hang in there. I pray the best for you in The NAME of JESUS!!! sincerly your bypass buddy , Shawn Williams Ps. I have my first checkup this coming wed. I'll post the results.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/04 2:02 pm - Tawas City, MI
my sister in law has fibromyalgiea/ myo-fasica pain syndrome as well. it sounds horrible. she is heavy also and pregnant right now. do you feel that this surgery may help with the fibromyalgia? I had read somewhere that it did? i myself am 4 weeks post op and am doing great! i have lost 40lbs thus far and have had no problems! let me know what you think. email me at [email protected] subject fibromyalgia! please! i would like to help her anyway i can. thanks chris goodluck!
Rebecca T.
on 8/2/04 12:03 am - Central, NY
I am two weeks out today, and still feel pain in my rib cage and get some stinging pains at my incision sites. I haven't taken anything for them, though. It feels like someone punched me in the right side of my rib cage. It's not so bad on the left side. I started noticing this about 8 days after surgery. I also get extremely tired still, and have to rest A LOT! I am having mcuh difficulty getting all of my fluids in, too. Oh, well!!!
NadineM
on 8/2/04 3:37 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi Marcy, I SO KNOW WHAT YOUR FEELING!!! I think I added it to my profile too.....but a week out I was having horrid pain where I couldn't even sit up or lay comfortably. I went in to see the Dr. and saw her assistant and she asured me that this was normal and because they left me under longer (tight muscles) that I am probably more sore then others. Well, I am 2 weeks and now that pain has gone and my back still feels a bit sore from not being able to stretch and lay well sleeping. But now I have a golf ball under my main left incision under my ribcage and it bothers me to bend down and sit. I have my post op tomorrow so I will see what this lump is. Just wait another week and you will wake up one day feeling much much better. Also, I quite my pain meds about 3 days ago when the pain started to feel less.....I still take an anti-inflamatory and that's it....Best of luck... Nadine
JulesC
on 8/2/04 6:18 am - Spring Hill, TN
I am 7 days out now. Still very sore, particularly on the left side. My surgery went to 5 hours instead of the expected 2.5 due to extreme scar tissue from a previous hysterectomy so I am still trying to bounce back. Today I feel really sleepy, as I did not sleep well last night. Today has been a queasy day, and I am having trouble getting all my clear liquids in. Enough of the whining. The really cool thing is that I have lost 11 lbs since my surgery!!! WOOO HOOO!!! I am really thrilled by that since I take thyroid meds and wondered if I would lose slower. Hope everyone is doing okay - I took pain pills Friday and Saturday, then extra stength Tylenol, and today nothing so far (just trying to suck it up!! HA HA). Jules
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views