Eating / Fluids Dilemma

IrishIze
on 8/1/04 8:01 am - NJ
I had my surgery on 7/19, and I have been on clear liquids until today, when I can begin pureed foods. My surgeon's instructions are to drink no more than 4 oz per hour. As far as the pureed foods are concerned, the instructions are no drinking an hour prior to and an hour after eating, and I should take 30 - 60 minutes to eat my meal. This creates nearly a 3 hour span with no liquids. Three times a day makes it 9 hours with no fluids....how do I possibly get anywhere near my ideal fluid level? I see my surgeon on Wednesday and intend to ask him, but I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers? Hugs, Nancy
Gina F
on 8/1/04 8:27 am - Belton, TX
My 30-60 minutes per meal doesn't begin until soft food stage (after 2 weeks of pureed). How in the world would you get in enough fluid on 4 oz per hour? At my pureed diet level, starting tomorrow, I eat 2-3 oz pureed food 5 times per day. I'll have 2 hours between meals to get in 2 cups of fluid. Then I'll not have fluids for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after meals. That puts my "meals" at 7am, 10 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, and 7 pm. I just did a schedule and will easily get in my 64 oz this way. I know they all do it differently, but I think this schedule works and I'm only without fluids for an hour at a time. Congrats on finally being done with clear liquids!!! Hugz, gina
MarinaS
on 8/1/04 9:04 am - Small Town, WA
My instructions are 30/30 for fluids before and after meals. My problem is I am not hungry or thirsty.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/1/04 9:15 am - Oxnard, CA
Nancy: My instructions are dont drink 15 before and 30 after. I'm in the pureed stage too now. I was actually hungry today for the very first time. Weird!! Have you gotten the full 64 in?? I havent yet.
IrishIze
on 8/1/04 9:21 am - NJ
Michelle, I haven't gotten anywhere near the 64 oz. My surgeon also limited me to 4 oz of fluid per hour, so there was no way I could get that amount unless I stayed up for 16 hours a day and drank constantly. I really hope he can give me a better schedule when I see him on Wednesday. How much protein are you getting in? Hugs, Nancy
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/1/04 9:25 am - Oxnard, CA
I can have 4-6 ounces an hour. I am told to drink an atkins or similar protein shake 4 oz 4 times a day. They dont worry about the 60 grams until I can eat solid foods, how about you? Michelle
IrishIze
on 8/1/04 10:00 am - NJ
I'm getting in about 60g of protein. I am allowed two 6 oz. protein drinks per day. I have been using the Isopure 0 Carb powder - 1 scoop =25 g of protein in 6 oz of milk = 5 g protein, so that equals about 60 g protein per day. Now that I'm eating I don't think I'll get anywhere near that much in. Nancy
AngelFlyingHappy
on 8/1/04 10:07 am - Oxnard, CA
Wow thats great your getting all the protein in!!! Have you heard of Unjury?? They have a unflavored protein powder that you can mix in foods and it is also 25 grams a scoop!! They also have flavored powders that are suppose to be really good. I ordered them, but havent gotten them yet. You should check out their site. www.unjury.com. Hope it helps!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/04 9:42 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I have the 30/30 rule as well. All of my meals (up to 4oz) should last NO MORE than 30 minutes. As for getting in all my liquids...forget it. 32oz is a good day for me I'm also supposed to use protein supplements in small servings throughout the day, but I just can't stomach the shake type. I've been using protein bars and Isopure to help out. Thank goodness that I get to start solids on Tuesday (officially)!
Rebecca T.
on 8/2/04 12:06 am - Central, NY
My doc has us not drinking 30 minutes before and 30-45 minutes after. The pureed foods will empty from your pouch much quicker than solids. I wonder why he limits you to 4 ounces per hour? I've always got something like water or SF koolaid to sip on in order to get my liquids in - and I still can't get them all in!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views