Surgery went well and I'm HOME

Bonnie M.
on 7/30/04 1:40 am - London, Canada
Had the surgery (Gastric Band - Swedish one) on the 28th. Hey that means I can now say I'm Irish, Scottish, German, French and Swedish now. Spent the nite in ICU and was discharged the next day. They put me in ICU because I have MS and the anesthesiologist was concerned I could have a flare up. I'm sore to move but keep moving. The Tylenol #3 helps. Have some pink and warm area around 2 little incisions. Told receptionist when I called to schedule my appt, but emphasized not red and hot just pink and warm and no discharge from them or the other incisions. total of 3 little incisions and a larger one for the port. Have to see the surgeon in 4 weeks for the first fill. I'm still on an emotional high. I'm also glad to be with the rest of you on the losing side now. Thanks to all of you for your preop support and to Eric for his great info on what to expect.
malindagutierrez
on 7/31/04 8:11 am - Union Mills, NC
Congrats! I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. What made you geet the lap band over the other types of gastric bypass? I am just curios what the difference is. Keep the liquids going! Malinda (lap 7/12)
Bonnie M.
on 8/1/04 3:19 am - London, Canada
Hi Malinda In Canada the waiting list for a gastric bypass is 4-5 yrs. It is fully covered by our provincial health plan OHIP. I wasn't fussy on the nutritional problems associated with the changes in the anatomy with the gastirc bypass. I liked the idea that things weren't being changed except made smaller with the band. It was the Swedish Band made by Johnson and Johnson that he used. I like the idea that my 'inards' are the same as God made them. The malnutrition issues with the stomach attached lower down on the small bowel prevents absorption of a lot of nutirients since most of the absorption occurrs in this area. With the banding there isn't the same problem of not absorbing nutrients although you still have to ensure the protein is high enough. Hope that answers your question. Oh yeh I had to pay full cost 15000.00 Canadian for the procedure. I had just sold my house and decided to use the profit to invest in my health otherwise I would never had been able to afford that kind of money. Bonnie
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views