I'm so hungry......

IrishIze
on 7/28/04 11:07 pm - NJ
I had my surgery on Monday, 7/19. I had a couple of problems with BP, a racing heart and fever, but all in all came through very well. My problem is that I am still on a clear liquid diet. After 7 days I was able to add 6 oz. of skim milk morning and night to mix my protein powder, other than that, clear. I know I will do what the doc says, but I feel so hungry and I feel like I am getting weaker by the day. I guess the doc knows best, but I don't see how this is helping me to heal. I have been walking 15 minutes 2x per day, but feel like maybe I'll cut down to once a day - I just don't have the energy. I guess I'm just venting and feeling very down in the dumps. Still four more days before pureed foods...... Sigh, Nancy
StephanyS
on 7/28/04 11:31 pm - Milton, FL
Nancy, I feel your pain. I had surgery a week before you, and I am still on clear liquids and protein shakes (my surgeon keeps us on shakes/liquids for the first three weeks). I haven't had the great energy sap that you have, though. I do get in more calories since I have to drink three shakes per day plus my 2 liters of fluids. I can't wait until I get to have pureed foods. I go for my three-week follow-up tomorrow and I am going to beg to go ahead since I have to go back to work on Monday (when I am supposed to start the pureed foods). I definitely DON'T want to try food for the first time at work! Believe it or not, though, the exercise actually gives you more energy, so try not to cut back if you can. I've been walking a mile a day since day 5 and I can tell that it helps with my stamina. I hope things get better for you. Take care. Stephany
Rhonda H.
on 7/28/04 11:38 pm - Steubenville, OH
Hi nancy, sorry to hear your having problems.i had surgery june 9th and i really dont feel hunger at all.i guess everyone is different.i eat b/c i know i have to,but if i had my way i would live on cottage cheese! things will get better.soon you'll be eating and feeling much better.i have lost 50 pounds as of july 19 and already i dont have to use my cpap machine.i wish you luck and hang in there it gets better i promise! :} Rhonda
Rebecca T.
on 7/29/04 12:50 am - Central, NY
Are you drinking SF liquids, or having broth, gatorade, diluted juices, etc.? If not, you need to make sure you do get them so your electrolytes don't go nuts.... CAll the doc's office and tell them how you're feeling - maybe he'll let you add some yogurt or something. I thought my doc was tough! I hope you feel better ASAP!
IrishIze
on 7/29/04 2:12 am - NJ
I'm mostly drinking Fruit Refreshers Lemonade and Strawberry Kiwi and will have a SF jello or SF ice pop. Maybe I'll try some broth at noon time....
Gina F
on 7/29/04 1:04 am - Belton, TX
Nancy, I'm sorry... clear liquids are the worst. I just had to do a week and now I'm on full liquids which makes me feel like a real person again. Never thought I'd enjoy cream soup and SF pudding so much. Four days... stay busy... it will be here soon!!! Have you been on the scale yet? Somehow when I realized I lost 16 pounds in one week, the clear liquids weren't so bad after all. LOL Hugz, Gina
T R.
on 7/29/04 7:37 am
Just a reminder.... don't forget your vitamins. I am three week post-op and know exactly what you mean. I guess I am getting the hang of things but it is hard to watch others enjoy their (real) food. Some of what we are feeling is habit and what they call mental hunger. Remember, we will be able to have some of those things again one day in moderation, they aren't going anywhere. Just be strong, we are all going to make it. Way to go on the exercise!! You Rock!! Take care, Tami
MarinaS
on 7/29/04 11:44 am - Small Town, WA
Nancy, My dr sends us home on full liquids and we can progress to pureed 1 to 3 weeks as tolerated. I am trying to do two protein drinks plus I really needed something more today so tonight I wized beef broth, some over cooked vegies, 1 TBL cottage cheese and some low fat gravy in my vitamixer. It was a liquidy consistancy and I ate it with a baby spoon very SLOWLY. I got an immediate boost of energy. I know people who come home to pureed.
AngelFlyingHappy
on 7/29/04 11:18 pm - Oxnard, CA
Nancy: Unlike you I am not hungry yet. But I am having the opposite problem. According to my surgeon's book, I am supposed to be on clear liquids for three weeks. Well yesterday I went to him to get the drain and staples out, and he told me to advance to the next stage which is soft foods.......i.e., mashed potatoes, cheese, yougurt, cottage cheese, sf pudding and blended soups. But I am scared to death he is wrong and afraid to eat. I dont want to hurt my pouch. It's amazing to feel this way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views