6 days post-op, I have some tips...

Impala2k
on 7/26/04 6:27 am - Smithtown, NY
I am SOOO glad to be home, and recovering nicely. I have read all your posts so far, and I am still learning as I go, but I do have a couple of tips to share. I have found that since my first day home, timing my sips or spoons helps to keep your mind off of the actual eating or drinking. On my first night home (Thursday 7/20) I could have clear liquids at a 4oz serving size (The nursing staff gave me a pile of 1 oz measuring cups to take home). I started out taking one sip (measured out to 1/4 oz) every 8 minutes. The next day (Friday) every 7 minutes, the next day (Saturday) every 6 minutes. I then advanced to full liquids Sunday and timed my breakfast shake (4oz) to 1 sip (1/4 oz) every 5 minutes and even the SF pudding and the yummy cream of mushroom soup (blenderized with skim milk) one spoon every 5 minutes. At this time, I have left out the actual measuring and have gone on to spoons or sippy cups, it's more of a spacing thing now! I have actually added 1 oz more to my liquidy drinks. My doctor reccomended full liquids can be as much as 4-8 oz now. I will add 1 oz a day until I feel content. The pudding is thicker, and I do feel more full on it so I don't think I will add to that just yet. This might seem like a waste, and you don't have to be bothered with it, but it helps me space my intake properly and I have not had even one pain, or problem yet. Since I am having trouble knowing the "FULL FEELING", because all I feel is inscision pain, until I know that fullness, I don't want to be surprised by a mouth full of spit-up...YUCK! My 2nd tip is in order to get in your water, try the same theory, but make sure you wait at least 45 minutes to an hour after a meal before starting. the first day or two I couldn't get in more than 1oz of water once or twice, but I have figured out this strategy and I have been getting in at a minimum at least 4-5 oz of water in between each meal, and after dinner too! I also learned that your drain will fill more after you walk, so if you are emptying your drain 2X a day like me, do it after a good walk. I do need any help I can get on something I cannot find the answer to... What is the best thing to get off the sticky tape residue left behind from miscellaneous removed tape on your belly. I don't want to rub too hard because of pain sensitivty, but is there something I can use that might not be irritating that will remove this crap??? Thanks in advance, and hope you are all feeling well! Cath
Irene S.
on 7/26/04 6:42 am - NJ
Thanks for the tips. Mineral oil works very well on tape residue. In desperation I sometimes use an oil lotion or cream. Just give it time to work. irene
Deejay
on 7/26/04 7:13 am - Sparks, NV
Glad your doing so well Cath!! Sounds great! Baby oil worked well for tape residue for me.
IrishIze
on 7/26/04 7:56 am - NJ
I'm about ready to get out the GooGone to get my tape off!! It's driving me crazy!!! Hugs, Nancy
Kristen J.
on 7/26/04 12:18 pm - Warwick, RI
Hi Cath, Try some nail polish remover if nothing else works on the tape. I'm still picking at mine too! As far as the ones on your belly, leave them alone, they will take care of themselves!!! Thanks for the timing tips! Kristen J.
Rebecca T.
on 7/28/04 12:49 pm - Central, NY
ordinary rubbing alcohol worked to get the residue off mine, and it works to clean the wounds.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views