Post - Op Report

IrishIze
on 7/24/04 12:07 pm - NJ
I had my surgery on Monday, 7/19, and the recovery has been a little more intense than I thought it would be. According to some of the people who had surgery before me, I thought I would be up and about by now. I guess everyone is different. One of the things that is really bothering me today is the pain in my neck, back and chest. I feel like there is a burning sensation and keep getting muscle spasms. Is anyone else experiencing this? Other things I am experiencing are: *burps that taste like rotten eggs *difficulty in getting all my liquids in - although I would love to chug a glass of cold water *yesterday and today I had a bowel movement - very loose and watery, but just once each day *the real need for my pain meds on a regular basis *the ability to sleep in my bed and roll onto either side!! What kinds of things are you all experiencing??? Hugs, Nancy
insureone
on 7/24/04 12:36 pm - Marion, AL
Nancy, my surgery was on the 19th also. Yesterday, I was very tired and slept alot, today, i've been up all day and now ready for the bed. I am able to roll on both sides, but I am still very sore. I was not expecting the pain to be like this, but i'm not taking pain meds. I'm very thirsty and it feels like i am hungry. I hope you get to feeling bette soon. Sherry
jcordell
on 7/24/04 12:50 pm - TX
Hi Nancy, I had my surgery 7/7, and it took about a week for the pain to go away. After 8 or 9 days, I discontinued pain meds altogether. ALOT OF GAS due to the surgeon filling my pouch and intestines with gas to check for leaks post-op, but that went away too. Did your doc put you on Pepcid? Those seem to help with the burping. I take two a day for two months. I am now 17 days post-op and have lost 38 pounds and feel great! I am walking 30-40 minutes a night at a brisk pace, and feel full off of my 3 small meals a day. IT GETS BETTER! Hang in there, and you'll be feeling good in no time!!! Take care, and God bless!
Deejay
on 7/24/04 11:54 pm - Sparks, NV
Nancy, I'm experiencing the same things. The spasm feels like a dry heave in my throat, what is that? Almost a hiccup that never makes it to a full one. I just started sleeping on my sides with the help of a body pillow wedged against my tummy. I don't get the burps, and I've been off my pain meds since Weds but it is a slow recovery. I have trouble with the liquids too, I've been drinking SF Tang and SF Koolaid to help get it down. It will get easier the further we get. Hugs, Deejay
IrishIze
on 7/25/04 12:24 am - NJ
Hi DeeJay, I've been wondering how you're doing! My spasms are more like muscle cramps under my wings in my back. I don't get the hiccup thing, but I think I drank my protein drink too fast the other night and I had to lay down and it was like I was burping and it was squirting back up into my throat...ugh. I can start full liquids tomorrow - I'm really looking forward to mixing my protein powder with Carb Countdown chocolate and having some cream soup!! I'm still only allowed 4 oz per hour - I really wish I could guzzle down a bottle of cold water! Hope things continue to get better for you! How is it going with the kids? Hugs, Nancy
Deejay
on 7/25/04 12:37 am - Sparks, NV
Its going good with the kids, my dh took 3 weeks off to help me out and he has been WONDERFUL! He does all their meals, changes all their diapers and plays with them all day. I think he really likes being home with them instead of at work. We're having a great time. The kids can understand when I say I can't pick them up, they rub my incisions gently and say "mommy owie". Its so cute. I think I need to get me some of that carb countdown chocolate. Do they sell it at Walmart?
IrishIze
on 7/25/04 10:59 pm - NJ
I got the Carb Countdown at my local grocery store. Having it with my protein powder now....yum!!
Barbara M.
on 7/25/04 1:29 am - Peachtree City, GA
Hi, my surgery was the 13th and it has been a little different than I expected also. I have had no stamina and feel guilty that I haven't been out walking the race like everyone else seems to be able to do. I have had lots of swelling in my legs so the Doctor said to use a diuretic. I have been able to drink luckily. Today is the first day where I felt I could walk so every half hour I walk circles in my basement until I feel tired than sit for 1/2 hour. I could not walk in the hospital. Pain has not been a problem until yesterday when I had severe gas pains. The Dr had not mentioned I could use gasx so when I got a call back from the office I was all over that, maybe that is why I feel better today. Anyway, good luck with your recovery, everyone is different, so if it takes you a little longer don't feel guilty. Do what you can each day.
Debra T.
on 7/25/04 2:14 am - Detroit, MI
I had my surgery on the 19th as well. I feel terriffic except for a pinching pain in my groin, under my port incision. Apparently, the Co2 used during the Lap has aggrevated my uterine fibroids. Other then that, I feel great! I am on Adult Liquid Tylenol, only. I have been since coming home from the hospital! Dr. Deol was awesome! She was with me pre-surgery and there 1st thing the next morning. The hospital was great as well! I have no complaints and feel so blessed to have gone with Dr. Deol! Best wishes to all! Debra
AngelFlyingHappy
on 7/25/04 3:38 am - Oxnard, CA
I also had surgery Monday July 19th. I had dry heaves in the hospital. When I did the leak test it gave me some reflux but that is really the only thing that has been bad. I too am having trouble getting all the fluids in. My doc's guidelines, are protein shakes, broth, sf popcylces, water and crystal light. This will be my diet for two more LONG weeks. As far as pain, really dont have any. Just a little sore. I took myself off the pain meds on Thursday, they made me feel worse. I finally slept on my side last night, and did the same put a pillow between my tummy and the bed and I slept good. The hardest thing I am going through right now is the head hunger. Even though I'm not hungry......the smells of the meals my hubby is cooking for him and the kids is hard. They smell soooooo incredible. I just have to tell myself that someday I can have those things, just very little of them. I think this will be better in a couple of weeks when I can have some soft foods.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views