I AM HOME!!!

joycewinfrey
on 7/24/04 10:31 am - Western, WA
Well, I had my surgery on Tuesday, July 20th, and I came home yesterday. I am still having pain in my stomach, where they cut me opened. I think I should have had laproscopic instead of open surgery. Oh well, too late now. In general I don't regret my decision, but when my pain killer wears off I do regret it. So then I just take more meds and I'm fine. Hopefully I will ween off of the meds soon. It hurts too much to do that now, though. My Dr put me on clear liquids for a week before my surgery, so I have now been on clear liquids for 11 days. He wants me on clear liquids for 2 weeks after the surgery. He will then put me on other types of liquids (soups, protein shakes, v-8, etc)for two weeks, and then finally soft foods for two weeks (applesauce, pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc). I will not take a "bite" of anything for at least another month. I'm sad about this, but my tummy can't handle much anyways. I had my first bowel movement last night - around 1:30 am. Since I haven't had any food it was pretty watery. I also had really bad gas before the bowel movement. Sorry to gross you guys out, but this is something that I didn't expect. My tummy hurts on the inside as well as on the outside. It is trying to figure out what I have done to it! As for weight loss - well I gained 20 pounds in the hospital - YES 20!!!!! Everyone says that this is due to the fluids that they pump into me. HMMM I sure hope so!!! Since I came home yesterday I have lost at least 10 pounds back (prob due to that bowel movement)! I will meet with my doc next week around tues or wed. I will let you know if I'm down then as well. I completely expect to be. Well, that is all for now! I'll keep you all posted on my progress! Joyce
jcordell
on 7/24/04 12:52 pm - TX
Joyce, glad to hear that you are home! Hang in there, it does get better soon! I am 17 days post-op and am down 38 pounds!! I had the Lap-RNY, so not as much pain, but I know if you hang in there and stay positive, you will do GREAT! Keep smiling and keep the faith!!!
Marcy B.
on 7/24/04 5:54 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
Hi Joyce: I had the surgery on the 20th too- had it done laprscopically. Its also painful- not the worse pain ever-but decidedly more painful than I expected. I was taking Lortab ( liquid vicodin) every 4 hrs- now I am taking it every 5-8 hrs and managing. I am finding it difficult to get in and out of bed, and am still dealing with the post operative gas which they tell me will disipate soon. I too gained weight after surgery 6 lbs that was upsetting to me, but I know its water weight. I am happy I have had the surgery but I have found myself to be very weepy today. This too shall pass. I am at the full liquid diet stage whi*****ludes puddings and yogurts and have been tolerating all food well. the only thing I notice is a feeling of lots of extra gas so the stomach seems to fill up faster. I get rumbling/grumbling in my tummy like I want food but nothing really appeals to me. I just can't wait to see results. but I know I have to have patience. Good luck on your journey
Alli G.
on 7/25/04 10:36 am - Troy, NY
Hi Marcy Question.. My doctor put me on a 14 day clear liquid diet.... i am on day 6 going onto day 7, had my surgery monday... I am so hungry!! Is cottage cheese allowed for you? I'm thinking of moving on.. not sure if I should.. I am SOOO HUNGRY!!!! Thanks Allison
Marcy B.
on 7/25/04 10:57 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Hi Allison: Cottage cheese is not allowed for me until the next phase of the diet. I am trying to make due with the food options we have- the soups puddings, diet supplements, jello popsicles etc. Are you drinking water too? That seems to help me to. Foods sound good to me, and I would like to be eating but I know the potential for problems and I don't want to take any chances. We have come this far its only another week or so before we will be given more foods. We can tolerate the discomfort of not eating for a short period of time. I just try to fill my stomach with something when it really starts rumbling and grumbling. I am still dealing with the post op gas so that is more uncomfortable to me than anything. Are you waiting every 3 hrs to eat or what? On the liquid phase you can eat more often. Why don't you try that and see how it goes?
Alli G.
on 7/25/04 11:05 am - Troy, NY
Hey Marcy! My problem is that I am on clear sugarfree liquids, and just the thought of ALL makes me sick except diluted applejuice and water. I am nauseated by sf pops, jello, and broth! I am actually having hunger pains, but am scared to stray from what he says.. I can't even get in the 64oz every day, I only seem to get 40oz in or less! I don't see how I am going to make it through these next few days! -Allison
Marcy B.
on 7/25/04 11:34 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Allison: Why don't you call your doctor to 1) give you something for the nausea, and 2) see about whether you can try some of the other food options like maybe Cream of Wheat? I found that food helped me too with the feeling of nausea. IMaybe you are still dealing with the after effects of anesthetic and pain meds too. Who knows.... I don't think I am getting more than 40oz of water in either..just do your best..and don't be afraid to call your doctor, thats what he is there for. He needs your feedback about how you are doing. Not eating at all has got to be effecting your energy level..so I am sure he would want to know about it. Hang in there!
Alli G.
on 7/26/04 4:44 am - Troy, NY
Thanks Marcy!! I am feeling better today! Actually got out and drove! Each day it seems that things are improving.. including me up-ing my fluid intake! I appreciate your input! Best Wishes! Allison
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views