POST OP UPDATE AND QUESTIONS

Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 7/24/04 9:00 am - MD
I am 5 days post op and there have not been any major complications...The recovery pain is a lil more intense than iexpected. (mainily the gas im trying to get out)...also i have had no Bowel movememnt amd wanted to know how long it took every one else.. Also i have no appetite at all so i make myself eat in order to get the proper nutrients.....proteine is sooo hard to get in ....Please help and lets me know what u posts ops menu is ....thank you soo much Ps My thoughts adn prayers are with all pre-ops....somedays you may doubt but you are doing the right thing and the reward is sooo great.... you will all do just great RNY 7/19/04 5 days postop and im down 12lbs WAHOOO :jump; cant wait to see you all here on the loosing side
JackieF
on 7/24/04 11:02 am - ObesityHelp Support Group Leader, NY
Hi Jessica, I also had a lot of gas. My surgery was on thursday and I went home on monday. I was having puree food on sunday in the hospital. I didn't have a bowel movement until tuesday. I am also not hungry, but I do my best to get the protein and water. Sometimes I make a protein shake for breakfast and have tuna for lunch and chicken for dinner. I had my surgery on July 8 and had my checkup with the surgeon on wednesday. He said I lost 20 lbs. I hope this helps a little. JAckie
jcordell
on 7/24/04 12:57 pm - TX
Hi Jessica! Glad you made it through your surgery with no complications! It feels good to be on the losing side, huh??? As for the gas, my doc put me on pepcid twice a day, and also recommends Bean-O. The pepcid seems to be working good for me. As for getting in my protein, I eat a scrambled egg (very well scrambled) with a little cheese in the morning, and a can of deviled ham spread or vienna sausages for lunch. For dinner, I usually have a Carb-Smart yogurt or a sugar free pudding. I don't know if I'm getting all my protein in, but I get a pretty good amount. I think it will be easier once I'm off of pureed stuff. I am 17 days post-op and down 38 pounds!! I wish you every continued success on your journey! Keep smiling and keep the faith!!!
Denise W.
on 7/24/04 4:11 pm - MD
Jessica, I take a scoop of anywhey unflavored protein in the morning and measure it out (17 grams). I then add some of it throughout the day to anything I can. Warm tea, oatmeal, sf pudding etc. You don't taste it and it ups your protein. I drink two protein shakes a day (23 grams each)...crystal light sunrise and fuzzy navel nectar. 1 oz of tuna has 7 grams of protein and I make sure to have that every day. Anything else is what is pureed that I can get down Oatmeal every day adds some fiber.....I did have refried beans with a small amount of melted cheddar cheese and lite sour cream...yummy and since these have fiber have helped with the BMs. Of course I add the anywhey protein to them to boost the nutrition. We are still less than a week out so be gentle with yourself and pamper yourself.
Marcy B.
on 7/24/04 6:02 pm - West Bloomfield, MI
Wow! The refried beans and melted cheese sounds yummy- My doc won't give me those foods out yet I had surgery on 7/20- still doing regular liquids. I want to take it slow and steady with the food even though I am bored with the food choices... Nothing really appeals to me. The sweet stuff is too sweet- the salt/ spicier stuff just isn't doing it. I have no real hunger only rumbling and grumbling in my stomach I still think I am dealing with post op gas- and the difficulty w/ BM's. My doctor suggested Benefiber to sprinkle in your food, or drink. I am trying small doses. I havn't lost anything yet- in fact I gained because of water weight in the hospital. Oh well...this too shall pass
lily K.
on 7/24/04 11:00 pm - brockton, MA
dear jessica i had my RNY on 7/6/04 and also had trouble with bowel movement, i tried milk of magnesia, no luck then my sister recommended prune juice, i mixed 4 ounces prune juice with 4 ounces water and took at night and next day it worked(it did not taste that great to me) since then i have made sure the protein shakes i am taking have some fiber and i have been ok good luck lilykate
Tina I.
on 7/25/04 3:48 am - Minot AFB, ND
hi Jessica. I am almost 3 weeks post-op and I had really bad gas when I first came home. My doctor told me I could have the baby gas drops like little tummies and such and it really helped. It was a few days before I had a bm and then it was very runny because of the liquids. I ordered protein powders from bariatriceating.com and they are great. The fuzzy navel is wonderful and so is the roadside lemonade. I ordered the carribean cooler by mistake and didn't like the flavor of the coconut so I add the 8 oz of crystal lite sunrise orange and that has become my favorite. I thought the cans were alittle expensive but when I went to gnc and priced others, I am getting a bargain. Plus I make 2 to 3 a day and I have almost 1/2 left in each canister. I just went to the doc Friday and I am down 31 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks and I feel great. He has moved me to pureed foods but I only eat that once a day and I drink protein shakes the other two. I have had soft boiled egg, scrambled egg, and refried beans with chesse. I got that idea from this site. So good luck and take it slow. It feels weird eating little bites and taking 30 minutes to eat 3 tbsp of food but it is worth it. Best of luck to you and all the pre- and post-ops out there. Tina
Ivy W.
on 7/25/04 4:53 am - Silver Creek, Ga
Jessica I have been post -op 3 days and like you say the pain has been little more than I expected but is getting better the more I move around. As far as protein intake I have the same problem the mixes are terrible and can't stomach them but I have been eating jello, propel, taking vitamins,and other supplements, popsicles and plenty of cranberry juice and water to keep from getting dehydrated. I will be keeping you in my prayers. As far as the bathroom I can't stay out of it all hours of the day and night.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views