Sugar Alcohol is a no no???!!!

Bobbie A.
on 7/24/04 6:59 am - parkville, MD
I just read a post where someone said we are not alowed to have sugar alcohols!!! Is his true??? I was hopeing I could have the atkins icecream with 3 carbs and sweetened with sugar substitute. It has sugar alcohols which make the net impact carbs lower. So whats the deal?? Should I throw out my post-op treasure or what?? Love,Bobbie
LisaSpi
on 7/24/04 7:27 am - Tucson, AZ
Too much sugar alcohol makes some dump post op. I cant take much of it now cause it gives me diarehha. I have heard those are the main issues. Some one else may know more. HTH Lisa Spiker
Great_Sphinx
on 7/24/04 8:37 am - Medina, OH
Sugar alcohol can be ok, but only in moderation. When you are buying your post op foods, make sure that your total carbs in a liquid are less than 25 grams per 8 oz serving and solids (sugars) are less than 10 grams per serving. My little book that the dr gave me says this about sugar alcohols: "Sugar Alcohols that are present in 'dietetic' candies can be includedbut may cause diarrhea if consumed in large amounts. These incluse: mannitol, sorbitol and xylitol" Presonally, I cannot handle even the recommended maximum amount of sugar. My fruit drinks have to be diluted by half instead of 2:1. Consuming a little too much sugar doesn't make me dump, but it does give me a lot of nausia. You can always give the Atkins things a try and see if it affects you. I have had the atkins milk and yougurt. They are both fine for me. Elisabeth
Lalocaweta
on 7/25/04 8:57 am - Spicewood, TX
I have been to scared to try it and see! I bought some unsweetened natural applesauce - saw 11 grams of sugar on the label and said Nope... However - what my dietician said was to ALWAYS avoid the "oses" - glucose, etc. And that generally the "Ol' was ok... I would say give it a shot and see what happens. Dumping is part of our tool - to make us so miserable we don't do stupid things...Only one way to find out if it will make you dump. (Yeph - I play it wild!)
Great_Sphinx
on 7/25/04 11:41 am - Medina, OH
Well, "ose" is normally bad, but my new best friend, Splenda, is actually sucralose (I hope I spelled that right) and it isn't supposed to cause problems. I have had it and it doesn't cause any problems with me
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views