I'M NOT DONE YET!

dana W.
on 7/23/04 9:43 pm - fort worth, tx
Well, its almost time 7/29/2004 this THURS. I'm a little scared, but i know this will be good for me.. Does anyone have any information on the liquid drinks the first wk other the the milk shake one's? I really dont have anyone close to me family or friends who is for me having the surgery. I guess everyone is scared and with being scared it doesn't do me alot of good u know? I have a friend who will be there with me on the big day. and who will help me when they get off work aft 2pm. I know everyone loves me, but is it wrong for me to want support from them even if they dont agree with what i've decided? I need u guys more now then ever ,,, if there is someone who can give me feed back on what to do right aft surgery and i'm home please let me know ,,, i want to know abt the 1st days.
lily K.
on 7/23/04 10:12 pm - brockton, MA
dear dana i am sorry your family and friends are not supporting you as well as you would like, but be strong you are doing this for YOU, your health and your quality of life. i had my lap RNY on 7/6/04. i was home 2 days later as i had no complications thank god, get up and walk as soon as you can after surgery, i heard postop after post op say this and it does help. i had my sister stay with me the first night after i got home, it is hard to get in and out of bed and i wanted her there just in case. some say they slept in a recliner their first nights home, but since i did not have one i did sleep in bed altho you have to sleep on back. i had asked her to stay a few nights but sent her home after the one as i was able to get up myself altho i was in pain when i moved, i did use the pain pills they gave me the first few days i had crystal light, bottled water, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free jello in the house when i came home, see if you can try a few things next week before you go in. i really loved the popsicles they are very soothing when you first get out. there is a web site bariatriceating.com that offers samples of powdered shakes, i ordered a brand called necter that you make with water but i have not tried yet so can not really tellyou how they taste, i lked the fact that you could order a sample and not get stuck with a $20. can of protein powder that you find disgusting!! if you have a local health food store such as GNC you might try there also good luck with your big day and god bless. please feel free to email me with any questions lilykate ps down 30 lbs so far 15 pre op, 15 post op no regrets!!
Barbara S.
on 7/23/04 10:31 pm - Muscatine, IA
Dana I was very scared prop also even had a panic attack right before I went off to surgery but all went well I had open roux-y July 12th and was able to walk to doorway of my room 3hours postop. You are doing a great thing in taking care of your health and soon you will join us on the losing side the surgery really works just to brag a little I will be 2 weeksposop Mon and have lost 12 pounds was wearing size 30 in Feb did lose some preop but yesturday got into an 18-20 haven't seen that in years. As gar as supplement I had to drink propass two weeks before and 1 week postop in clear liquid it was bad but now I drink unjury mixed with sugarfree carnation instant breakfeast and 8 ounces of skim milk andblend it with some ice in the blender it tastes good and gives you 55 grams of protein best wishes on your upcomming surgery I will pray for you a speedy recovery keep posting and let us know if we can be of further support Barb
dana W.
on 7/23/04 11:30 pm - fort worth, tx
thank u so much for getting back to me. i really made me feel good. i c u're doing good,, so i'll see u on the losing side love dana
IrishIze
on 7/23/04 10:46 pm - NJ
Dana, I'm sorry you don't have the support you need from your family, but you will always have support here. I had my surgery on Monday, 7/19. My instructions for week one was clear liquids - 4 oz per hour - Fruit Refreshers, decaf tea, broth, SF popsicles, SF jello. I also have to have Carnation Instant Breakfast (used to be sugar free, now called 0 grams sugar carbs) morning and evening mixed with water. Next week I graduate to full liquids, whi*****lude milk and cream soups. I'm looking forward to that! Dana, please feel free to email me anytime you need some support! My email address is [email protected]. I mean it!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs, Nancy
dana W.
on 7/23/04 11:27 pm - fort worth, tx
thank u so much for getting back to me. just to know someone really cares and have been there makes the fire in me a little better.. i love u guys so much. thanks for every word u wrote i needed it and believe me it helped
Rev.Carol
on 7/24/04 12:30 am - Charleroi, PA
Hi Dana! No, it is NOT wrong for you to want support from family and friends who do not agree with you. I'm sure if they disagree with your politics and such, they would still love and support your voting rights and etc. I just had surgery Monday and came home on Wednesday. If you can, get someone to stay with you at least the first day and to check in on you every few hours or so the first week, you will need the comfort and support and help with the JP drain and weakness from the major surgery. I had a bad day Friday because I got weepy (anasthesia wore off) and there was no one home with me. I could hardly do anything for myself and I felt abandoned by my loved ones. There are very few people who are willing to share their time, but those who do are precious, precious friends. After I got home I was allowed clear liquids: water, beef and chicken broth, SF popsicles, SF frozen fruit bars (my personal favorite), SF jello and SF non-carbonated soft drinks like Crystal Light. Hope this helps! God bless, Carol
Tina I.
on 7/24/04 2:45 am - Minot AFB, ND
Hi Dana. Best wishes to you. I know you want your families support and maybe they will come around. It is a big decision and hopefully they will see how much it means to you and how much you will need them. I had my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and I am still trying to get around. I had open RNY and had a small infection afterwards so I am still a little slow but I have not regretted my decision one bit. I went to the doc yesterday to have my staples removed and I am down 28.8 pounds in 17 days. I feel like a million bucks. I have ordered from bariatric eating.com and their nectar is awesome. I ordered the roadside lemonade...yum. I also ordered the carribean cooler by mistake (I wanted the fuzzy navel) and it was a little too coconutty for me so I add it with 8 oz. of sunrise crystal light instead of water and it has become my favorite. She also threw in a free sample of the fuzzy navel and I will definately be ordering that next payday. I hope this is not too long. Just wanted to help out anyway I could. If you are having lap, I hear it is much easier. My hubby was in school and could not miss days so I was lucky to come home on a Friday and have him for the weekend and by Monday I was flying solo (with a 3 year old and the infection). But I want to be better so I can start living my new life. Take care and feel free to email me anytime!! Tina open RNY 7/6/04 319/288.8/160
malindagutierrez
on 7/24/04 4:00 am - Union Mills, NC
Dana, Get up and walk is the best advise anyone can give you! I ate soups, sf pops, water (of Course), and am working on the protein part with carnation instant breakfast and protein powders to make a shake! I wish you the very best you will immediately start to feel better about your self, I had surgery on the 12th and am 26 pounds down! I can hardly wait to get back on the scale. Best wishes to you if I can be of any help please let me know. Malinda Gutierrez
Bobbie A.
on 7/24/04 5:30 am - parkville, MD
Hi SWeetie, Its normal for people to be scared and they want to tell u negative things because they think that their fear matters. But it doesnt!!! I tell people when it sounds like the conversation is going negative, That this is not one of those times were they can voice disagreements because the decision is made, its a done deal. We didnt get this far to let others bring us down. There is allso people that I didnt even tell. I asked my mom if she wanted me to tell her when I had a surgery date or did she want me to wait untill its over before I tell her. Because I wanted it known from the begimming that it wasnt open for discussion. She took it a lot better than I thought she would and she is very supportive. But u know what? If she wasnt I still would be okay because I was doing this And thats all there was to it. You have all of us and most importantly, You have Jesus!! TThats al that matters. So kiss the nay sayers bye bye for now!! And praise God that your pain and suffering because of obesity is soon over!!!! Love and mushiness,Bobbie
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views